gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 10:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Found my very first BMX....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Found my very first BMX....  (Read 14305 times)

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Found my very first BMX....
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Either way you look at it. It's not gonna polish up and is deffo gonna need a rechrome!

Good luck with the resto, hope it brings back some fond memories!  :4_17_5:

ROLLO

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2006, 11:03 PM »
Just got back off my hols and read this thread. Man, that astro is an  :Aresehole: somebody shoot him before he ruins all our memory's. I've got my old quality Streetbeat but, when Dave (stodgy) allowed me to buy his Ammaco which is the same as my first BMX that was stolen it made my year. Streetbeat in the garage, Ammaco in the bedroom with me and my memorys every night. Thanks again Dave, she's a beauty :4_17_5: ;)

Offline aditup2004

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2006, 11:24 PM »
ASTRO-ANUS

ROLLO

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2006, 11:30 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: what a name, it suits him so well ;D

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2006, 11:40 PM »
The guy (astrowhatever) has a point and is entitled to his opinion however I think it is flawed, a point of FACT is that Ammaco would never have been allowed to market a product without the copyright holders permission and if the copyright holder gave permission then technically and in a court of law the rights of the name "Mongoose" would have been assigned.  Mongoose would have been all over them like a rash if they did it without permission, so no repro frame stickers; I'd lay money on them coming from the same printers as the US made Goose stickers.

The argument he is using does not stand up, it's like saying that a Redline or SE Racing bike today is not actually one or the other but an imposter/fake or that Ferrari is not a Ferrari as it is really a Fiat, Aston Martin not an Aston but a Ford, Lamborgini not a Lambo but an Audi and so on.  Changes of phsyical ownership of the manufacturer or copyright/patent holder are irrelevant - it is what it is and is what it was LEGALLY sold as.  If he don't like gooses after '82 then that's fine but his opinion ain't worth didly squat as gooses made after '82 are still gooses whether made in Chatsworth, Taiwan or Timbuktoo.

Restore your bike, make it like it was and enjoy  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

NYSoul

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Does that mean my collection of Adidas Superstars are not real coz they were not made in France? Is Stevie Wonder not giving me the real deal coz my copy of Hotter Than July was pressed under licence outside the US? and are the bubbles in my coke taking me for a mug as Schweppes put the paint on my can?

Its a goose, even Stevie can see that :coolsmiley:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2006, 09:58 AM »
sorry yes audi 50 became the mk1 polo

i like mk1 polos
but try and find a not rusty one
sold one not long ago. got it to use off the mother in law when i was between cars. it was bloody terrible. But not a scrap of rust, bloody great dent in the side but no rust ;D

i'd have given it to you if you collected it. i sold it for 100 euro. :2funny: i was happy i got that.
ding dong

duncan

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2006, 05:03 PM »
In the right place, I think that this sort of hair-splitting argument can be interesting and perfectly valid - it's maybe overboard in the case of this thread though, given the spirit in which it was started.

I think it's a Mongoose, hey it even says so down the side. That's all that matters - it's a 25 year old bicycle.

Have fun rebuilding it  :)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 04:01 AM by duncan »

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2006, 05:19 PM »
looptail rippers were weak as piss and people still cock dribble over them.the yanks used to slate anything asian but as we now all know,those little fellas over there make inovative quality products.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2006, 07:01 PM »
hope its comin on well

and we get to see your bitd bike all restored and nice

Rich

jeff spicoli

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2006, 07:28 PM »
Cool wet grass  ;D Mongoose shmongoose bothered not.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Just stumbled accross this old thread - I read it with a combination of shaking my head, nodding my head and laughing my f*#king ass off  :LolLolLolLol:

At the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder - one man's trash is another man's treasure - buy, build, restore, collect and ride what you the f*#k you like - pretend it's the 80's again and f*#king enjoy it  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2008, 12:00 AM »
hell yeah another crackin 'goose thread

astro had a limited arguement there really  :D

chances are it was made in france by motobecane

all under licence of course  :Great_Britain:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2008, 12:16 AM »
I can understand the view of a purist and i'm sure there are rules to everyones collecting / building habits some stringent some loose - but at the end of the day that's your own rules and you can't enforce 'em on someone else.
Love a good mongoose banter though  ;D
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

nosepickben

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2008, 02:54 AM »
astro had the voice of emo phillips in my head. I don't like mongooses.  :uglystupid2:

dix

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Hate to be the Simon Cowell  :Aresehole: of this thread, but that's no Mongoose mate.

(sorry  :-\ )

It appears to be some kind of copy, most likely Akisu judging by the drops.
Orb and Graeme must not have had the heart to tell you  :D

It's still cool to find your old bikes. Now go give your dad a good razzing for going cheap!

It's definately a Goose Astrodamus. I had it brand new when I was 9 or 10. Have pictures at home with me on it on xmas morning. Mongoose plate, pads and everything.

I know it was one of the cheaper gooses without the looptail .etc but it's defo a goose.

;)

You can call it whatever you like, but you cannot (correctly) call it a mongoose.
"UK goose" does not cut it. Ammaco was merely the UK distributor. But BMX Products Inc. did not manufacture that frame, therefore it is not a mongoose. If BMX Products gave Ammaco a license to procure cheap copies and sticker it up as mongoose, that does not make it a mongoose product, and I sincerely doubt mongoose gave permission as they would also be stuck with liability. All sorts of shenannigans ocurred with UK distributors (see: SE PK Rippers stickered as Race Inc. etc..) so this appears to be in league with that.
I'm trying my hardest to preserve the great heritage of BMX Products '75 through '82 by painstakingly building tribute bicycles true to their original specs, and correcting misinformation whenever I see it, and so when you guys try to call this booger-weld bike a mongoose, it rubs me the wrong way.

:angrysoapbox:

Thanks for ruining my childhood  :Aresehole:

There's me thinking I had a Mongoose for my first BMX then low and behold you come along some 20 years later and shatter my dreams.

Who called the fricking BMX police anyway? :police: I was just sharing my old bikes with some likeminded people.
To be honest I don't really care if it's not a 'proper Mongoose' as you say, old school bmx is not about being anal for me, this was my first bmx and has real sentimantal value.

:LolLolLolLol:

fooking hell  ;D thats funny but i do agree with ya ,i cant stop laughing :2funny:

spesh

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2008, 10:09 PM »
fook!!!!!
ive just read this and my 87 cali that i was all enthusiastic about building is as appealing as a fart in a space suit
thanx astroturf im now pissed off at my "mongoose" coz it was built in taiwan and has pigeon shit welds
anyone want to swap for a mk1 burner any condition considered
at least the burner is a genuine icon of my childhood or is it an "Emelle" built in oxford and not nottingham?

astroturf you really know how to ruin a 40yr old mans memories of childhood :Aresehole:

nosepickben

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2008, 02:36 AM »

astroturf you really know how to ruin a 40yr old mans memories of childhood :Aresehole:

:(

don't be too upset... a turdstrand like astro who comes on a friendly board and goes off like a cnut about what's technically "this, that (and the fooking other)" shouldn't affect your memories and love for bmx. Do the mongoose btw, burners were vile.   ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Found my very first BMX....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx