gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 11:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 144349 times)

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #600 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Blue skies and hardly a breath of wind, should be a good day, I'll be up about 12.30 to get the 8 pack finished.

paulgray

« Reply #601 on: March 29, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Off topic - The Elephant hole used to be a well known attraction of the quarry. This is the only photo I've been able to find and it's was taken in the 1960's. I always knew there was something wrong with the picture and I just figured it out, they printed it as a landscape picture when it should have been portrait, so I've rotated it and it makes sense now. Did you notice that as well Keith  ;)

The cliff above the hole collapsed in the 80's and buried it  :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:53 PM by PaulGray - AQL »

keiththompson

« Reply #602 on: March 29, 2009, 02:27 PM »
I didnt know what you were on about until I looked at the original.... Now I see what you mean...

http://www.nowandthenmag.co.uk/november1998/5.htm

mikebmx92

« Reply #603 on: March 29, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Found this photo on an MTB site. A couple years old, shows old DP3 hip.

seems the death pack has shrunk a bit .. well i might have to make it bigger again.... and i here my pond is workin already... that thing needs to be way deeper and we should have water through the summer... this is a massive deal for the dryest trails in the country!

keiththompson

« Reply #604 on: March 29, 2009, 10:24 PM »
Respect to Paul for today... Almost 8 hours digging :daumenhoch:

Widened the spiral out about a foot in the middle...

As you can see, the rain yesterday has put back any chance of it drying out fully so its gonna be a while before it can be properly riden to see how fast you can get around it >:(

Started to build the SODP 4's launcher...Almost there :daumenhoch:

One last pic of the Quarry on the 1st day after the clocks went forward not far from dusk  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:37 PM by keiththompsonAQL »

paulgray

« Reply #605 on: March 29, 2009, 11:30 PM »
Respect to Paul for today... Almost 8 hours digging :daumenhoch:

Ha ha, more like two hours diggin and six hours yakin.

Found this photo on an MTB site. A couple years old, shows old DP3 hip.

seems the death pack has shrunk a bit .. well i might have to make it bigger again.... and i here my pond is workin already... that thing needs to be way deeper and we should have water through the summer... this is a massive deal for the dryest trails in the country!

Yer duck pond is a great success Mike, a veritable oasis. Instead of enlarging the Death Pack we could build a massive set over the pond, Dan's been wanting to practice his 'Flying Duck' jumps for ages, so we could call it the Duck Pack, I think it's a quacking idea.

OK I can hear the groans, back to reality, nice work Ste.

Maccaz

« Reply #606 on: March 30, 2009, 09:26 PM »
gettin a 9am session in tommora morning. wahey!

Eddy

« Reply #607 on: March 31, 2009, 08:36 AM »
9am?

I struggle to get into work for 9am!

Props

Maccaz

« Reply #608 on: March 31, 2009, 08:47 AM »
i struggle to get out of bed before 11am, at a garage on my phone. cant wait to get up there, havent rode ayton in months!

Maccaz

« Reply #609 on: March 31, 2009, 05:58 PM »
good ride today, nice and smooth. had loadsa fun riding again and ive already picked up a buckled wheel!

keiththompson

« Reply #610 on: March 31, 2009, 07:27 PM »
good ride today, nice and smooth. had loadsa fun riding again and ive already picked up a buckled wheel!
I was up with the dog about 4ish and did'nt find any skin or claret, so you must have had a good day. The DP didnt seem used though ;)

Are you there tomoz Mattie, Its our usual mid-week digging session. I should be there about 2-30ish (as long as Paul will be there with me spade) :daumenhoch:

paulgray

« Reply #611 on: March 31, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I was up with the dog about 4ish and did'nt find any skin or claret, so you must have had a good day. The DP didnt seem used though ;)
Are you there tomoz Mattie, Its our usual mid-week digging session. I should be there about 2-30ish (as long as Paul will be there with me spade) :daumenhoch:

I'll be they mate don't worry  ;) Just been up Lord Stones Cafe to see the bikers, Jack was there and Mike turned up on his Husky, their both up the quarry tomorrow so should be a good un. See y'all after dinner.

good ride today, nice and smooth ... ive already picked up a buckled wheel!

Error - does not compute, what you been casing Maccaz?  :2funny: keep at it, practice makes perfect.

keiththompson

« Reply #612 on: March 31, 2009, 11:19 PM »
Ive got 200 Winter Pansy plants that Ive got left over and dont know what to do with em. I think im gonna bring em up the quarry tomorrow and dab a few in around the jumps to see what it looks like. It should be good to get the hikers in to look at the plants as well as people riding. I think it will bond us and them together and give us a good name around the village and keep the NT happy.... What do you think...

paulgray

« Reply #613 on: April 01, 2009, 12:12 PM »
Ive got 200 Winter Pansy plants that Ive got left over and dont know what to do with em. I think im gonna bring em up the quarry tomorrow and dab a few in around the jumps to see what it looks like. It should be good to get the hikers in to look at the plants as well as people riding. I think it will bond us and them together and give us a good name around the village and keep the NT happy.... What do you think...

:LolLolLolLol: You can't cover the DEATH PACK in pansies  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:  venus fly traps or something poisonous might be appropriate  ;D

hudu

« Reply #614 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01 PM »
When we built Blair Witch Trails  :smitten: I seeded all the sides of the jumps with grass seed and threw a mix of all sorts of wildflower on all the bare dirt.

You get extra points with the walker types for being BMX Hippys.

Plus...I am a hippy :LolLolLolLol:  We shift the Earth to make good times. No fooker can complain about that.

Gimmee five mins and I'll post a pic of the track we just finished smack bang in the middle of a popular park.... Its all about making it look good so those that don't get it, get it.

hudu

« Reply #615 on: April 01, 2009, 09:46 PM »

Landscaping for the dogwalkers.  :)

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #616 on: April 01, 2009, 10:04 PM »
Nice track  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

paulgray

« Reply #617 on: April 01, 2009, 10:34 PM »
When we built Blair Witch Trails  :smitten: I seeded all the sides of the jumps with grass seed and threw a mix of all sorts of wildflower on all the bare dirt.

Plus...I am a hippy :LolLolLolLol:  We shift the Earth to make good times. No fooker can complain about that.

Gimmee five mins and I'll post a pic of the track we just finished smack bang in the middle of a popular park.... Its all about making it look good so those that don't get it, get it.

Just think about all those bees buzzing about while you're trying to get air  :P  How about some medicinal herbs, something you can apply to gravel rash might be useful  :laugh:

Nice track bud  :daumenhoch:, I remember Redcar track was all turfed and looked great too.

keiththompson

« Reply #618 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42 PM »
To all the people replying to my "PANSYS ON THE JUMPS" post....Have a look at the date of your replys ;D.... I thank you :D

It was meant as a joke, but looking at it.... would it really be a bad idea......wild flower and grass seeds...hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:44 PM by keiththompsonAQL »

paulgray

« Reply #619 on: April 01, 2009, 10:49 PM »
To all the people replying to my "PANSYS ON THE JUMPS" post....Have a look at the date of your replys ;D.... I thank you :D

It was meant as a joke, but looking at it.... would it really be a bad idea......wild flower and grass seeds...hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ::)

I've already seen several FACE PLANTS up there  >:D

keiththompson

« Reply #620 on: April 01, 2009, 11:01 PM »
Four months in the making and the SODP (baring in mind tidying them up) are FINISHEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.... :) :) :)

Miner 49er

DP3 launcher. Finished off with a medium-fine sandpaper

The newly formed AQL security service...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:55 PM by keiththompsonAQL »

hudu

« Reply #621 on: April 01, 2009, 11:04 PM »

;D :LolLolLolLol:

Truth is stranger than fiction Keith....we really did seed the trails!

When we were building we didn't wanna attract attention, and when the jumps started being noticable from the main path in the woods we reckoned disguise would be a good idea. It worked an'all.

Plus I'm a hippy, like i said.  :angel:

Old pic of Blairwitch....autumn...

I miss them....moved a long way away.  :(

scott250

« Reply #622 on: April 01, 2009, 11:12 PM »

Riden those a couple of times - nice jumps. 

Are they dead now? I think you told me you build/ride another spot now on south of Sheff.  Be a shame to let the Blair Witch Trails die like.

keiththompson

« Reply #623 on: April 01, 2009, 11:21 PM »

;D :LolLolLolLol:

Truth is stranger than fiction Keith....we really did seed the trails!

When we were building we didn't wanna attract attention, and when the jumps started being noticable from the main path in the woods we reckoned disguise would be a good idea. It worked an'all.

Plus I'm a hippy, like i said.  :angel:

Old pic of Blairwitch....autumn...

I miss them....moved a long way away.  :(

Good way of hiding things, but the Quarry is far to open and well known to try and disguise. Unless of course we planted some trees :P. Seriously though look at the pics through this thread and you will see how rampant mother nature can take a hold of the place in no time

scott250

« Reply #624 on: April 01, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Don't know if any of you have seen this clip - pinched from streetphire¬

wait for the huge twist at the end + mad stair drop to skinny gate exit :shocked:  this man rides like there is no tomorrow, haha.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx