gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 144299 times)

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #450 on: March 07, 2009, 05:15 PM »
A bit late in the day for those type of questions Paul!  :LolLolLolLol:

Doh!  :laugh: got lots more to build yet  Adam :daumenhoch:

Maccaz

« Reply #451 on: March 07, 2009, 08:22 PM »
i geuss we shall find out if you've got it right when we go to ride them. have any of the kiddies who go up tried any yet? looks like tables are definitely getting some use  :daumenhoch:

also, i was wondering with the 'spiral' how do we get into it? do we take the berm thats on the second dp landing and then what? will we be dropping into it?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:32 PM by Maccaz »

scott250

« Reply #452 on: March 07, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Is there any science behind jump building? some sort of ratio between height and distance that we should be aiming for? recommended angles etc? Or is it all in the eye?

I think so yer.  Say for just an average set of doubles - lifts 6ft long by 4ft heigh and a nice curve 45+ seems ok, but mostly I think a nice smooth curve is the best thing in getting a jump good.  Mostly gap wise I go in paces, 5 for a small jump up to 9 for a big jump with 5 foot lifts and landing.  If I'm making a rhythm usually I will count 9 or so paces to the lip of the next lift from the top of the landing.

keiththompson

« Reply #453 on: March 07, 2009, 11:55 PM »
i geuss we shall find out if you've got it right when we go to ride them. have any of the kiddies who go up tried any yet? looks like tables are definitely getting some use  :daumenhoch:

also, i was wondering with the 'spiral' how do we get into it? do we take the berm thats on the second dp landing and then what? will we be dropping into it?
I think itll be best to show you when you are home next weekend. The berm on the back of DP2 is the way out, maybe this might help...

One thing that is worrying is its struggling to dry out. OK its still only March, but last week when the rest of the quarry was pretty dry, the spiral was still somping. It will prob' be May-ish before it can be ridden/finished properly, then we will know if it has been a good idea or not.

Anyway back to today and it didnt seem to bad digging in snow or frost, but one light shower today turned the whole place into a mud-fest and to be honest seemed a bit demoralizing, added to the fact I was knackered from getting to bed at 3ish last night. Heres hoping for a dry spell soon.
Its totally tanking down here now so Ill see in the morning if Ill be there or not tomoz (another 3am bedtime as well) :-\

A couple of pics from today...

Berm between DP2 smoothed a bit and added to on the end...

same pic, but wider showing the line out rolling off the side of SODP2's landing...

And a general pic showing most of whats been done over the winter...

Sat here doing this with the patio door open and sneaking a ciggie and its lashing down, might give tomorrow a miss and watch the footy.... COME ON BORO :daumenhoch:

safc1

« Reply #454 on: March 08, 2009, 12:54 AM »
i used to work at the cleveland tontine just down the road from gt ayton, gotta go and see your work  8)

paulgray

« Reply #455 on: March 08, 2009, 01:05 AM »
i used to work at the cleveland tontine just down the road from gt ayton, gotta go and see your work  8)

Welcome to the thread safc1, did you ever visit the quarry in the good old days?

paulgray

« Reply #456 on: March 08, 2009, 01:14 AM »

The way it's shaping up there's gonna be loads of lines and variations  :4_17_5:

keiththompson

« Reply #457 on: March 08, 2009, 01:19 AM »
Looking at the last pic I posted and it shows the water laying between DP1 lander and the table top inside the spiral. I think my next task will have to be to dig the pipe out of there and relay it so the water flows out better >:( hopefully to improve the drainage and help it dry :daumenhoch:

paulgray

« Reply #458 on: March 08, 2009, 01:26 AM »
Looking at the last pic I posted and it shows the water laying between DP1 lander and the table top inside the spiral. I think my next task will have to be to dig the pipe out of there and relay it so the water flows out better >:( hopefully to improve the drainage and help it dry :daumenhoch:

Maybe a bigger pipe would be better? and it should be fairly easy digging as we didn't put any rubble above the pipe in case of this eventuality. I keep looking at the layout and wondering about the best way to link the berms and make best use of the space, it's a difficult one  :-\

paulgray

« Reply #459 on: March 08, 2009, 02:10 AM »
I keep looking at this and thinking it's the best line into the 8 pack and that the current berm is a mistake and that the dirt could be better used. Oh well better get to bed and dream about jumps.

nigel hutton

« Reply #460 on: March 08, 2009, 01:13 PM »
i think we have to wait and ride stuff before we start re doing .the thing about jumps is to build what you think ride it if it works great if it doesn,t  great just change it and ride it till it works thats the great thing about trails

paulgray

« Reply #461 on: March 08, 2009, 02:38 PM »
i think we have to wait and ride stuff before we start re doing .the thing about jumps is to build what you think ride it if it works great if it doesn,t  great just change it and ride it till it works thats the great thing about trails

I'm not saying that the berm into the jump won't work because it might. A straight run up will definitely work and might allow the 8 pack to better than with the berm. I was also thinking that the berm blocks a few other lines into and out of the spiral corner which I hadn't considered when I put the berm there. It's a bugger when one brilliant idea gets in the way of a later one  :laugh:

Maccaz

« Reply #462 on: March 08, 2009, 05:34 PM »
i say stick to our guns. the berm is a nice touch (providing it gives you enough speed, space and angle to hit the first jump at) and adds imagination to the run. Starting cliff side is probably a better idea too, the run up to the dp is always riddled with water channels etc.

either way its all dirt. if doesn't work we can just pull it down and try again!

keiththompson

« Reply #463 on: March 08, 2009, 08:16 PM »
A day away from the quarry and already feeling refreshed and looking forward to the mid-week dig...

Now where are we going to fit these in (15 to 20 seconds on this vid... http://video.mpora.com/watch/l9aMDJFGb/

Any ideas?       Ill post when I can think of somewhere :P

(from 1.30 onwards its a bit like our old quarter-pipe)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:44 PM by keiththompson »

paulgray

« Reply #464 on: March 09, 2009, 12:13 AM »
A day away from the quarry and already feeling refreshed and looking forward to the mid-week dig...

Now where are we going to fit these in (15 to 20 seconds on this vid... http://video.mpora.com/watch/l9aMDJFGb/

Any ideas?       Ill post when I can think of somewhere :P

(from 1.30 onwards its a bit like our old quarter-pipe)

I was feeling a burned out yesterday and the weather didn't help. Interesting video, we're gonna have to think harder about where to position things as the place fills up with jumps and how they link with each other and how to use the existing contours and ............

It would be good to get more use out of the slope that runs along the top of the riding area (where Keith is looking in the next photo), it's always been under utilised and is an ideal starting slope.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:22 AM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #465 on: March 09, 2009, 11:28 AM »
I'd not seen this before, amazin  :shocked:, best turn your sound off though  :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD57RfyxkBQ&mode=related&search=

Eddy

« Reply #466 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40 PM »
On the drying out thing, I found that whatever you build will take a while to set.  For my day job I assess soils for use in building / foundation design so trails is a bit of a bus mans holiday for me.  Ayton is more shale but with clayey soils what you find is the outside dries out first with the inside staying wet for a lot longer, hence the reason you get ruts.  Going off last year up my trails we spent a long time filling in ruts and tweaking them.  With the more complicated burm stuff we found it took about 2 or 3 attempts before we got it right, mostly just minor tweaks.  I think the key is to throw the mud up in roughly the right place / shape then ride it and mess about with it, you can usually make something work in the end!

keiththompson

« Reply #467 on: March 09, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I'd not seen this before, amazin  :shocked:, best turn your sound off though  :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD57RfyxkBQ&mode=related&search=
Is that the standard we are going to set ourselves this summer :angel:

paulgray

« Reply #468 on: March 09, 2009, 10:12 PM »
On the drying out thing, I found that whatever you build will take a while to set.  For my day job I assess soils for use in building / foundation design so trails is a bit of a bus mans holiday for me.  Ayton is more shale but with clayey soils what you find is the outside dries out first with the inside staying wet for a lot longer, hence the reason you get ruts.  Going off last year up my trails we spent a long time filling in ruts and tweaking them.  With the more complicated burm stuff we found it took about 2 or 3 attempts before we got it right, mostly just minor tweaks.  I think the key is to throw the mud up in roughly the right place / shape then ride it and mess about with it, you can usually make something work in the end!

With all the geological layers and the quarrying and the mining we've got quite a mix on out hands. Water works it's way down the hill side and seeps out of the slopes into the riding area. The spiral corner is sheltered from the sun and the wind at this time of year so takes a long time to dry out. The flat riding area is hard packed, when it rains the top inch (clay ?) goes muddy and sticky but underneath its hard and dry. It soon dries out in the wind mind.

keiththompson

« Reply #469 on: March 10, 2009, 10:05 AM »

With all the geological layers and the quarrying and the mining we've got quite a mix on out hands. Water works it's way down the hill side and seeps out of the slopes into the riding area. The spiral corner is sheltered from the sun and the wind at this time of year so takes a long time to dry out. The flat riding area is hard packed, when it rains the top inch (clay ?) goes muddy and sticky but underneath its hard and dry. It soon dries out in the wind mind.

I was walking the dog yesterday about 3-4ish and it was practically dry again with the strong winds. Are we still having a session on Wed? I dont know until Wed morning how long ill be working yet, but I should be there between 12 and 2 ish depending. I had a look around for places to build them hip/quarterpipe thingys. Had a few idea, so see what you think when we meet up there again.

Maccaz

« Reply #470 on: March 10, 2009, 04:16 PM »
will there be a dig friday? what about on the weekend? i go back next tuesday i think. wanna get as much time in as possible!

keiththompson

« Reply #471 on: March 10, 2009, 04:39 PM »
will there be a dig friday? what about on the weekend? i go back next tuesday i think. wanna get as much time in as possible!
Usually the weekend yes. Friday I might be able to, depends on Paul as he has the spades :P. If its a nice day friday I might have a bash depending on what im doing. I prefer mid-week to the weekend to be honest when the place is quite. We will see. whats everybody else doing?

Maccaz

« Reply #472 on: March 10, 2009, 05:39 PM »
well i will defo be up for a dig on either sat or sunday. i wanna check things out friday though if people are digging. i'll bring a spade with me  too ;)

paulgray

« Reply #473 on: March 10, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Tomorrow looks like it might be ok and also not bad into the weekend, not that i trust Mr.Weatherman to get it right. Had a quick look today and like Keith said the wind is doing it's job.

nigel hutton

« Reply #474 on: March 10, 2009, 10:19 PM »
i,ll be up some stage tomorrow i,m taking my birthday day off .am very tempted to take up me bike ,though i,m waiting for a new front wheel hubs fooked on mine.i,ll defo be up saturday with the boys if anyones about,if your coming matt don,t forget ye shovel mate ,and we need a test rider so your helmet also.forgot to tell ya matt the middle hip is now a foot wider and a foot higher,i know it,s your bogey jump but i think it,s better now,just send it mate.see you all soon AQL

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx