gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 03:33 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 144280 times)

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #400 on: March 02, 2009, 11:12 PM »

Is it only the two double so far or are there another 2 sets with sodp?

SDP is gonna be 4 sets, the third is partially built as of now, the fourth isn't started yet.

Maccaz

« Reply #401 on: March 02, 2009, 11:20 PM »
i'll get on it when im back!

keiththompson

« Reply #402 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22 PM »
Hey I just started a related topic, if DP3 get's beat I suggest be build the "SWAMP MONSTER"  :2gunsfiring_v1:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=81679.0
Good idea and a good name.

I was up today, just walking the dog in the rain :( about 3ish

I like the comparison picks...talk about change :daumenhoch:

A couple from me from Sunday. Just to say, a cracking weekend. Was digging at work today so thats 3 days running...god I ache... :shocked:

Smoothing out the middle of the spiral (looks like that names stuck)

Experimental berm with a high line and low line going in different directions

Berm into SODP

The man upstairs shines down on the hollowed ground

AQL Wheelbarrow display team

Just as its drying, its forecast rain......................BUGGER
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:39 PM by keiththompson »

scott250

« Reply #403 on: March 02, 2009, 11:42 PM »
Just to give you lot an update of my trails ¬

Had a little pop at them early on this eve, haha, wind and wet kind of killed me after geting over the first set n then cogging it I gave up, haha.

Your all welcome to come and play if you want a change from AQ this summer.

Maccaz

« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2009, 11:48 PM »
where you based scott? id love to ride them buggers, but im nowhere near good enough. bita' practice this summer and i'll man up and try them hah!

paulgray

« Reply #405 on: March 02, 2009, 11:53 PM »
where you based scott? id love to ride them buggers, but im nowhere near good enough. bita' practice this summer and i'll man up and try them hah!

Yea I think a road trip is in order once everythings dried out  :daumenhoch:

keiththompson

« Reply #406 on: March 02, 2009, 11:56 PM »
Just to give you lot an update of my trails ¬

Had a little pop at them early on this eve, haha, wind and wet kind of killed me after geting over the first set n then cogging it I gave up, haha.

Your all welcome to come and play if you want a change from AQ this summer.
They look cushty :daumenhoch: A trip will have to be planned for a visit sometime....Well done Darlo

Maccaz

« Reply #407 on: March 03, 2009, 12:00 AM »
Niges van, i think so!  ;) :laugh:

Eddy

« Reply #408 on: March 03, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Them thar trails are looking nice Scott!  We just finished rebuilding the 4th and 5th straights up Hartlepool, I am yet to ride them though due to the mud and rain.  We now have a rythm, its a dancer!

http://www.northeastbmx.co.uk/shill092.MP4

http://www.northeastbmx.co.uk/shill093.MP4

I also got started rebuilding my trails near manchester, its good coming on here and reading this thread for digging inspiration!  I am going over them all from the top and making them taller plus adding in some AQL influence burm transfer hip lines!

I just wish I had more time to dig them, I got credit crunched one day of my week so I have been getting down for some solo spade work, still seem to have more ideas than time but thats trail building I guess.

Maccaz

« Reply #409 on: March 03, 2009, 05:53 PM »
woah the berm at pools is looking at lot bigger eddy. i do love summerhill. went to college next to it so i spent most of my summer lunch breaks there haha.

nigel hutton

« Reply #410 on: March 03, 2009, 07:01 PM »
great photo,s from sunday tommy .those two that paul put on wow just shows how much work we have done!!!!.i think that berms gonna be fine going into sodp can,t wait to try it.we should try and have a jam up there when its dry get some riding in.AQL

paulgray

« Reply #411 on: March 03, 2009, 08:53 PM »
It surprises me that trails seem to be so few and far between. Even though I spent a lot of time racing I came from dirt riding (pre BMX on trackers) and have always thought it was integral to BMX. I guess land for jumps is hard to come by and in that respect the AQL have been very lucky. Even if you've got the land getting people to dig is very difficult. Good to see your photos Eddy and Scott, how much help have you had? if you've done all that diggin on your own you deserve a medal. Here's to the diggers for putting their backs into it and keep the roots of BMX alive.  :4_17_5:   

paulgray

« Reply #412 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57 PM »
woah the berm at pools is looking at lot bigger eddy. i do love summerhill. went to college next to it so i spent most of my summer lunch breaks there haha.

Yea it's looking even better than it already was, if it gets any longer you'll be able to hold mountain bike races there  :laugh: Have you got a national this year? I will be taking a look up sometime to catch up with me old mates.

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #413 on: March 03, 2009, 09:10 PM »
15 th march

old school racin paul

drag ya gt down for a bash ,,,be funnnnnnnnnnn

russ

paulgray

« Reply #414 on: March 03, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Hmmm... I just noticed that dirt riding comes under Freestyle on the forums page   ???, that's news to me, I've always considered dirt a discipline in it's own right and I sure aint never considered myself  a freestyler  :shocked:

Maccaz

« Reply #415 on: March 03, 2009, 09:14 PM »

Yea it's looking even better than it already was, if it gets any longer you'll be able to hold mountain bike races there  :laugh: Have you got a national this year? I will be taking a look up sometime to catch up with me old mates.

hit me up when you do, ill show my face if im home  :)

paulgray

« Reply #416 on: March 03, 2009, 09:14 PM »
15 th march

old school racin paul

drag ya gt down for a bash ,,,be funnnnnnnnnnn

russ

Might try and make it to that one Russ, if I can get the day off from digging  ;)

scott250

« Reply #417 on: March 03, 2009, 11:09 PM »
I've been building mine for about 10years - but this year I have had too much on with family stuff and building work outside of my dayjob so I've handed trailboss title to Dan Wez & Ayton Chris & Keeble.  We had a digger in too (Cheers Joe if you read this) just to pile the dirt up ready for another set coming back over.  I'll PM a map to Paul or something when I get time so you can get over for a ride.  They are not as big as AQ but you should have fun on them.  Got a half pipe next to it too - mud into wood ;)  I'll be up the quary when I'm done sorting out new house out.

Maccaz, The jumps are near Brompton, like I said I'll pm a google earth map  to paul but if your making your own way I'll pm to you too, just let me know.

Keep digging Eddy, and I've been told cattericks getting some spadework too - Parksie and another lad(forget his name)are going to fix it up a bit - I had a couple of good sessions last year over that way.

Maccaz

« Reply #418 on: March 04, 2009, 02:12 AM »

Maccaz, The jumps are near Brompton, like I said I'll pm a google earth map  to paul but if your making your own way I'll pm to you too, just let me know.

that'd be grand if you did, its more than likely i'll have a drive over on my own. if anyone wanted to hop in though we can do the group thing!

Eddy

« Reply #419 on: March 04, 2009, 08:06 AM »
Good to see your photos Eddy and Scott, how much help have you had? if you've done all that diggin on your own you deserve a medal.  

We have an average three people that dig regular like however most of the time its only really one or two of us.  Its different for me though, and the other core diggers, because we all enjoy building roughly the same amount as we enjoy riding them.  Plus in Manchester with the predictable rain you do dig a lot more than ride!

Its a different story up Hartlepool where we get about 10+ people plus a JCB and mini digger.  That said, I have only really dug two bmx track jumps by hand and swore never to do it again, the 6-8m wide landings tend to be the killer!  We ain't go a national this year but do have two regionals as Russ already mentioned, I still got plans for new stuff up there too including a possible BMX track death pack eqivilent, watch this space!

Scott, will have to sort out a trails trip this summer sometime in between me digging, working and getting married.  Will scoop Tim up from the sump of Streetphire and head out for a bit of a play
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:23 AM by Eddy »

paulgray

« Reply #420 on: March 04, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Good to see your photos Eddy and Scott, how much help have you had? if you've done all that diggin on your own you deserve a medal.  

We have an average three people that dig regular like however most of the time its only really one or two of us.  Its different for me though, and the other core diggers, because we all enjoy building roughly the same amount as we enjoy riding them.  Plus in Manchester with the predictable rain you do dig a lot more than ride!

Its a different story up Hartlepool where we get about 10+ people plus a JCB and mini digger.  That said, I have only really dug two bmx track jumps by hand and swore never to do it again, the 6-8m wide landings tend to be the killer!  We ain't go a national this year but do have two regionals as Russ already mentioned, I still got plans for new stuff up there too including a possible BMX track death pack eqivilent, watch this space!

Scott, will have to sort out a trails trip this summer sometime in between me digging, working and getting married.  Will scoop Tim up from the sump of Streetphire and head out for a bit of a play

Things were looking a bit run-down in AQ last summer  :( so I decided to build a few small jumps at the back end of the year (needed the exercise too). Things just gathered momentum and now we've got a major dig underway. We have three or four people diggin on a weekend but I can see that gettin up to seven or eight in the near future. Like you say it's good fun, none of us veteran diggers have ridden for a while (well Nige is back) but havin a spade in your hand and creating something new is addictive. Some days you can work hard and it seems like you don't get very far but when it all starts coming together it's a great feeling. I'd like AQ to cater for all abilities so anyone can come and have good time.

I designed a few tracks back in the 80s, Redcar and Langbaurgh, you need heavy equipment for that game. Last time I was up at Summerhill I was thinking there was room for a dirt jumpin area.

paulgray

« Reply #421 on: March 04, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I like the design and scale of some of these jumps, would be perfect for Nick to practise his back flips  ;) after his winter layoff  :P8) video

Eddy

« Reply #422 on: March 04, 2009, 02:13 PM »
Funny you should mention about trails actually.  We are hoping to change the boundary lines, mostly to open up a bit more space for spectators, however an interesting possibility appeared behind the back of the 3rd and 5th burms which could lead to some trailsy style jumps.  The only issue is that the council public liability insurance will not cover un-rolable jumps so we will have to build some table tops.  That said there is nothing to stop making said tables similar proportions to trails!  I guess it will depend on the club however we just sorted out a mini digger for the club which we can use for cheap, watch this space.

nigel hutton

« Reply #423 on: March 04, 2009, 06:18 PM »
no days off for you paul we need all the diggers we can get ;Done thing i meant to ask are you and tommy riding this year ,you must be tempted to get the trails done? i got two plastic bins today thought we could put em in the reeds area  dig em in so the tops at ground level cover with wood to hide em and channel water into em for watering the jumps in the summer.on the look out for some pipe for drainage all week no luck yet .look on you tube under 909 trails sweet trails and sound track.see you all soon AQL

paulgray

« Reply #424 on: March 04, 2009, 06:43 PM »
A couple from today showing new hip under construction.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:20 PM by paulgray »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx