gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 01:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 144255 times)

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #350 on: February 16, 2009, 12:13 AM »
http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php's=cad31d613a7c89b9360dc8a50e756934&t=151036

^^^^^ The second pic in post 5......

theres a sleeper laid this side of the fence at the top of the sledging field. Maybe it should be gathered up, if not for now then maybe for the future.

Good idea. BTW that ShadyTrails video is a bute!  :4_17_5:

keiththompson

« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Was up the quarry yesterday with Paul. All the snow has gone but its so so wet, everything was like porridge and impossible to dig. We had learned a lesson on building in snow and ice as all the berms we built have shrunk a foot as the ice inside them has melted and bits have avalanched off them. Still nothing that cant be repaired and the damage aint bad and the basics are still solid. Spent most of the day digging drainage and have a nice system inplace running almost all the water away from the middle of the quarry, so it should help dry out if we have a spell of mild weather. We should be up there on Wed afternoon doing something if anyone wants to have a visit..... bring your wellies.

mikebmx92

« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2009, 11:12 PM »
it's a bigg no no digging in the frost or snow... you just fight and loose battle... now's when ya need to start digging. iv'e tryed so many times... fook the winter spring is for digging!

Maccaz

« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13 AM »
id rather get riding as soon as possible. roll on spring  ;)

keiththompson

« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2009, 10:22 AM »
it's a bigg no no digging in the frost or snow... you just fight and loose battle... now's when ya need to start digging. iv'e tryed so many times... fook the winter spring is for digging!
Glad to hear you are still about :daumenhoch: People have been asking where you had got to as we/them need your input as for what to dig, and where. We have done a bit in the top corner out the way (hope you like) but want to progress into the middle abit to continue the "smaller" trails. Its because of the weather that I had a bit of time to play with to dig :P. The Berms etc have shrunk, but they aint damaged, when they dry a bit they can easily be repaired and built up again as the basics are still there (Well it was only the basics we did anyway). Still you learn lessons. I remember BITD digging with the AQL's on a frosty moonlit night, and even riding.

mikebmx92

« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2009, 11:58 PM »
yeah mate ya doin a great job... just stackin stuff up is good in the witer but shaping is a joke... we used to scrape a foot of snow off the jumps and ride them frozen! haha

nigel hutton

« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2009, 04:16 PM »
great to see mike back writing .i,m in the lakes this week i,m gunna have a digging session this sunday weather permitting hope to get the new 8 pack done.not long now to spring.dun know what its been like in ayton this week but the lakes have been sweet no rain all week.even put the shovel in the van and dug a few hips.been watching a awesome dvd called building the underground its in the north west usa trails mainly bloody ace.well im off out to ride see ya sunday AQL

paulgray

« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Snow's gone and it's ideal for digging but still very tacky, so no good for riding.

There's so much potential here and we got loads of ideas. It would be good to build a hip so you jump across SDP and land on DP1 landing slope.

Sunday afternoon is pencilled in for next session.

P.S. There is litter everywhere  >:( so we need bin bags and a good tidy up.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:42 PM by paulgray »

keiththompson

« Reply #358 on: February 20, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Thats the problem with all these ideas, you get up there and just dont know where to start  :idiot2:. Its just a matter of grabbing a spade and digging and see what things turn out like. A basic plan needs to be thought out then as time goes by you can just add to it and make trails inside trails.  :daumenhoch:

Made the berm inside DP2 tighter today with the idea of you heading back up the quarry as well as across.

keiththompson

« Reply #359 on: February 20, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Its true about the litter and it aint fair on those that dig have to tidy up after people who just come and ride taking advantage of others hard work just to leave the place an eye-sore. It might be an idea to put a few signs up because it will only take one complaint from an old biddie walking her dog to have the whole place flattend. :-[
The national trust are doing us a favour letting us ride and dig, the  least we can do is show them some gratitude.

paulgray

« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Nice weather today, almost felt Spring  like  :), shame I had to waste an hour of my time picking up other peoples trash  :tickedoff:, filled a large bin bag and there's more to do tomorrow  >:(.

Just wait till I see someone dropping litter  :knuppel2:

keiththompson

« Reply #361 on: February 22, 2009, 07:51 PM »
The Quarry is drying out nicely, almost ridable in parts. Did 3 hours today, Paul and Nige did longer continuing the SODP line, I made a start on a new berm holding onto the idea of criss-crossing the riding area rather than running straight down and opens up loads of lines at the very top-end. Had a few visitors up today who Nige knew, so it was good to say "hello" to fellow quarry users.

It doesnt show on the pics very well but a line from the peek in the background running straight down to a lip on the back of the berm has been half built

Wednesday aftey has been penciled in (touch-wood) for the next session where we hope to return to repairing the spiral now it has had chance to dry out abit
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:23 PM by keiththompson »

nigel hutton

« Reply #362 on: February 22, 2009, 09:14 PM »
i,ll get some signs done about the litter and put em up this week

keiththompson

« Reply #363 on: February 23, 2009, 08:54 AM »
i,ll get some signs done about the litter and put em up this week
Good :daumenhoch:

You should include ... "Try and count how many hours" and "how many shovel fulls of dirt it took to build" and "it didnt just appear overnight", ending with " use it, dont abuse it".

Make it strong and make em show some RESPECT

nigel hutton

« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2009, 05:55 PM »
like your thinking tommy strong it is.

Maccaz

« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2009, 08:18 PM »
CLEAN YOUR fookING LITTER UP SKANKS.

strong enough?  ;D

keiththompson

« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2009, 10:41 PM »
like your thinking tommy strong it is.
Maybe not to strong as we want young riders to enjoy the quarry. I was off kids this morning after trying to get mine out of bed and ready for "back to school"....gits :P

paulgray

« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2009, 12:33 PM »
I can't see signs being very effective on their own, they'll probably get ripped down like in the past but if we're gonna have em I'd keep em simple and straight to the point like

"NO LITTERING"   

then when some one drops trash we can point at the sign ask them to modify their behaviour.

We've also got to encourage the young un's to be tidy by continuing to set a public example by picking up litter and asking people to help keep the place clean. The ones that ignore us get a talking to, you gotta remember that for townies dropping litter is just normal behaviour :(  after all the council will come and pick it up for them, a little re-education is needed.

And maybe the AQL need to become visible with T-shirts so that the kids know who's "turf" it is, and who to see if they get a flatty   ::)

A few photos from Sunday

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 12:47 PM by paulgray »

keiththompson

« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2009, 05:35 PM »
I think it needs a bit more than that Paul. Therell be lots of days when none of us are there or like last week when there was litter and no-one owned up. As soon as peoples backs are turned they will throw it down the banking. Id even include " if you are reading this and have intentions of pulling this sign down then we and you know that you are really a bit of a knob".

keiththompson

« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I just thought....dig a hole somewhere down the bottom end maybe to the right of the old quarter-pipe just next to the bushes and line it with a bin-liner with a few rocks to hold it down...im sure it would get used then its just a matter of carrying it down.

Anyway...had an idea.... the berm you started Paul going around the swamp... how about turning it around to line up with the berm I started on sunday then sending you into the old (hip) berm or building behind it using the back of yours for the same effect?

Had another idea...(no lightbulb gif)... It might be an idea to build a lip inside the new berm next to the landing I started on the pics sending you the otherway to launch you up then lining up with the hip-jump.

It might be 1-2ish before I get finished tomorrow  Paul...Ill text you when im on my way.

keiththompson

« Reply #370 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Did another 3+ hours today with Paul. The plan was to return to the spiral but everywhere is drying up nicely exept the spiral which is getting no sun or wind been tucked away in the corner. We tried but it is still like porridge, so Paul did abit near the middle hip and I went back to do a bit more on the new berm and jump.

My pics from today....

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:00 PM by keiththompson »

Maccaz

« Reply #371 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41 PM »
things are definitely shaping up now keith! i see you have added a double to the end of that massive berm, where does berm take you off to? sodp?

scott250

« Reply #372 on: February 25, 2009, 10:42 PM »
Looking good !  Its been dry enough to ride Darlo track on my dinner hour- its a bit like riding Ayton in 92.  The little mods I made havent been knocked down ither :P so I'm pleased with that.  The MTBers will cry with that berm - thats where they usually drop off, haha.

Maccaz

« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2009, 10:45 PM »
sod 'em - hah!

keiththompson

« Reply #374 on: February 26, 2009, 08:48 AM »
things are definitely shaping up now keith! i see you have added a double to the end of that massive berm, where does berm take you off to? sodp?

If you scroll up to pauls last 2 pics, in the 1st one theres a pic of nige working on the SODP. Behind him and his wheel barrow is a berm, so it lines up with that using the jump that Nige is stood on as a roller to bring you over this way. Also we might build a berm at the back of the swamp where there is a pile of dirt shown in the same pic. Basicly it lines up with practically everythink there is going on over that side. The reason for the new berm is to criss-cross the quarry keeping a natural rhythm with the slope rather than running straight down then struggling to get back up using the area which is practically unused.
Interestingly, digging in and around that new berm ive taken the top 6inches of the grassed up area away and its back down the the old solid surface, so we might continue to do the same over most of that whole area rather than riding on grassy mud, using the dirt to build....whatever.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:18 AM by keiththompson »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx