gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 09:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 144217 times)

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #275 on: January 02, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Today's work.

mightymini

« Reply #276 on: January 03, 2009, 11:43 AM »
looks sweet,  :daumenhoch:

mikebmx92

« Reply #277 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22 AM »
up next weekend to get the big shit sorted out..... the quarry's always been all over the place with nowt lining up and it works a treat.... you need to ride it to understand you can come out of the berms at several angles .. cos they are so big.. see ya soon lads.  :daumenhoch:

nigel hutton

« Reply #278 on: January 04, 2009, 08:13 PM »
your right mike theres so many lines thats what makes it great.when you just look at trails they seem all over the place ,but when you come to ride em it just clicks into place.it,ll be great to see ya. ste was saying your girl friend has been ill hope your all ok now.i,ve been up alot lately the cold keeps all the bugs away hopefully.jack did a litter session last friday so it,s clean at the minute new big berm looking well already even before the spring.did you know you and steve got two mentions in the latest edition of dig magazine it,s top they have called it the trails issue,some really good articles on trails around the uk ,defo worth a read.well see ya next week AQL

mikebmx92

« Reply #279 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48 PM »
your right mike theres so many lines thats what makes it great.when you just look at trails they seem all over the place ,but when you come to ride em it just clicks into place.it,ll be great to see ya. ste was saying your girl friend has been ill hope your all ok now.i,ve been up alot lately the cold keeps all the bugs away hopefully.jack did a litter session last friday so it,s clean at the minute new big berm looking well already even before the spring.did you know you and steve got two mentions in the latest edition of dig magazine it,s top they have called it the trails issue,some really good articles on trails around the uk ,defo worth a read.well see ya next week AQL
yeah mate she was really ill all sorted now though... lookin forward to this year... i was meant to do an interview and get some pics taken up ther by the guy from dig but it all landed on a bad time so there will be something aventually in dig hopefully by summer.. see ya soomn bud... mike :daumenhoch:

keiththompson

« Reply #280 on: January 05, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Had a good afternoon on sunday with Nige...lots of gossip with a bit of digging :P

Had a brain wave for the top right-hand corner I was working on. I did a bit of raking and clearing this afty, and looking at the natural way the ground is (lower down behind the death-pack, not on the top) theres a hip jump to the right down into a bomb hole with a ready-made tabletop and other possibilities inside and following on. With most of it been natural there shouldnt be much digging involved. Anyway we will see what you think the next time we meet up there.

paulgray

« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2009, 03:57 PM »
up next weekend to get the big shit sorted out..... the quarry's always been all over the place with nowt lining up and it works a treat.... you need to ride it to understand you can come out of the berms at several angles .. cos they are so big.. see ya soon lads.  :daumenhoch:

I am gonna try get up on Saturday, unless it's frozen or pissin down.

paulgray

« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2009, 04:26 PM »
That lad on the crosser was in the woods again today  >:(, don't know if he was in the quarry or not, but I reported him to the police again, and guess what, the were very helpful and sent an officer out to meet me  :shocked:. I take back all those nasty things I said about them  ::)  Persistence pays off in the end (and I guess other people have been complaining as well). Unfortunately they can't do anything unless they can identify and catch him. So if you see him up there, don't plant your fist in his face, just try and get him on camera, the more evidence we can gather to identify him the better. At least they are showing an interest now and the PSO's are gonna keep an eye out for him.

Don't think we'll see him on a weekend but if you do, then call NY police on 08456060247 and report him, stress that he is riding illegally on National Trust property inside a National Park and that Cliff Ridge wood is an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and a nature conservation area and also that he's endangering the public. 

You can also contact the NT wardens on 01642 328901 so that they are made aware of the problem, and they might thank us for bringing it to their attention.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:28 PM by paulgray »

keiththompson

« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2009, 06:31 PM »

I am gonna try get up on Saturday, unless it's frozen or pissin down.

The forcast is fine for Saturday, possible drizzle on Sunday. Im gonna try and get up sometime between tomorrow and Sunday.

keiththompson

« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34 PM »
That lad on the crosser was in the woods again today  >:(, don't know if he was in the quarry or not, but I reported him to the police again, and guess what, the were very helpful and sent an officer out to meet me  :shocked:. I take back all those nasty things I said about them  ::)  Persistence pays off in the end (and I guess other people have been complaining as well). Unfortunately they can't do anything unless they can identify and catch him. So if you see him up there, don't plant your fist in his face, just try and get him on camera, the more evidence we can gather to identify him the better. At least they are showing an interest now and the PSO's are gonna keep an eye out for him.

Don't think we'll see him on a weekend but if you do, then call NY police on 08456060247 and report him, stress that he is riding illegally on National Trust property inside a National Park and that Cliff Ridge wood is an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and a nature conservation area and also that he's endangering the public. 

You can also contact the NT wardens on 01642 328901 so that they are made aware of the problem, and they might thank us for bringing it to their attention.

Good idea to video him if hes up there on my new phone  :P... Beats videoing the dog.

nigel hutton

« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2009, 08:39 PM »
had a good digging sesh saturday ,top inch was frozen then ok once passed that.started on the new 8 pack! it runs next to the death pack and so is called son of death pack, :D will be sweet when done ,i,ll say again can,t wait for spring got some serious digging to get done from now till then.i get one thing done and another idea pops in my head ,the barra is getting some good use even the spare one was out saturday.tommy have ya got ye mobile fixed we were trying to get hold of ya ? hope to see ye all up soon cheers.AQL

keiththompson

« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2009, 10:14 PM »
had a good digging sesh saturday ,top inch was frozen then ok once passed that.started on the new 8 pack! it runs next to the death pack and so is called son of death pack, :D will be sweet when done ,i,ll say again can,t wait for spring got some serious digging to get done from now till then.i get one thing done and another idea pops in my head ,the barra is getting some good use even the spare one was out saturday.tommy have ya got ye mobile fixed we were trying to get hold of ya ? hope to see ye all up soon cheers.AQL
Ive sent a pm to you and paul of me new mobile number.

Typical... Was going to come up on saturday, but I didnt think anyone would be up there with the frost so took the dog out for a walk from hutton village. along and up little roseberry the across the moor and back home (listening to the match as I go). I got a message late on from sam but he couldnt remember who had rung me. I was home-alone later and I think I missed some calls but I was giving my lecky guitar some hammer so I never heard em.

Anyway, I did go up on Sunday afternoon and there was no-one there....like I said....typical. There was 2 lads up there (about 14-15 yo) on a mini bike. I told em they had better be careful cos the bobbies are chasing people away from the wood as motorbikes are banned. They seemed OK and just went..... pushing.

See u soon...................hopefully... :D

paulgray

« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2009, 11:19 AM »

Saturdays work in the bitter cold. Lucky for us that we where sheltered from the wind otherwise it would have been impossible. If we can keep going at it for the next four or five weekends things should be looking sweet (copyright Nige) for the springtime session.

Nige getting stuck in while Jack looks for rocks.

Nige and Jack working on a tricky launcher.

keiththompson

« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Had a good afternoon on sunday with Nige...lots of gossip with a bit of digging :P

Had a brain wave for the top right-hand corner I was working on. I did a bit of raking and clearing this afty, and looking at the natural way the ground is (lower down behind the death-pack, not on the top) theres a hip jump to the right down into a bomb hole with a ready-made tabletop and other possibilities inside and following on. With most of it been natural there shouldnt be much digging involved. Anyway we will see what you think the next time we meet up there.

Glad you have put those photos up because it shows the idea I had for that corner...

In the first photo....Along the path that is just out of the picture to the left, as you go along heading for the bit I was clearing to get on the top a few months ago there is a natural step up behind the big main tree. If that was turned into a hip jump to the right then down behind the tree into a bomb-hole (where nige is digging).
Behind the landing for "death-pack one" there is a lump of muck that hasnt been touched yet... this could easily be made into a table-top/doubles without much effort, and follow on with various lumps and bumps  all the way down behind the death-pack until you come out into the new "big berm". Just an idea and it would if built be a pretty cool run. Anyway see what you think when we meet up there again.

Just to add, as well as the hip jump to the right I mentioned, a berm could be dug-out running behind that BIG tree and follow the path I thought of....

Ideas Ideas Ideas ;)

nigel hutton

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2009, 10:17 AM »
had a good digging sesh yesterday,worked on the new 8/6 pack looking good .ground on the surface real wet but great for digging.hope to get up later today do a bit more.see you all soon AQL

paulgray

« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Good day for making jumps. Me Tommy and Nige put a good twelve man hours in, place was packed (for January) with bikes but to soft and sloppy I think. Lots of ideas on the boil for new berms and jumps.

Spawn of Death Pack is taking shape  >:D

New table to left of DP, thinking berm built into DP2 gap bringing you out to the right before the swamp  :coolsmiley:

A little work done on the tight berm landing.

January fun on the medium hip.

It's January, get out and dig!!!
AQL
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:13 PM by paulgray »

keiththompson

« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Enjoyed today (though im aching abit now though). Nice pics too, its good to keep a record of the changes been made.

In the second pic down (with my elbow in), theres an "orb" jumping the death-pack...even ghosts must be into bike jumping :P

paulgray

« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2009, 04:34 PM »

In the second pic down (with my elbow in), theres an "orb" jumping the death-pack...even ghosts must be into bike jumping :P

The Orb of Death  :shocked: or it could be E.T.  ;D

There is  new berm in the making.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:30 PM by paulgray »

keiththompson

« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Just a testing pic, Its the (un-finished) launch ramp which dives down to the right. In the top corner of the quarry.

Same area but from the bottom, the launcher is to the left of my dog.
As its January, and very wet, only the basics have been done so far but im enjoying giving the "Quarry" a new face-lift and working with old pals :daumenhoch:
Undecided (as yet) what to do with the dirt wall at the front of the pic. It would make a good launcher, but then a landing ramp would have to be built.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:10 AM by keiththompson »

nigel hutton

« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2009, 08:50 PM »
wasn,t sure of that table and new berm,but it,s looking sweet great idea.the spawn of death pack love the name it,s begining to look real good.when ya putting the hard work in and people are riding there bikes it can be depressing,i even heard one of em say it,s the shits!!!!! but is that rider willing to lift a spade and walk the talk? is he fook he won,t even get off his 24" dirt jumper that daddy bought him and look at a spade never mind use the fooking thing.all they say is "WHY DON,T YA BUILD THIS BUILD THAT","WHAT JUMPS CAN YOU DO" and of course "HOW MUCH WAS THAT BIKE".IF THERES ANY OF EM READING GET YA DADS TO BUY YA A SHOVEL AND COME UP ASK WHAT WE ARE DOING LEND A HAND.then i,d give ya some respect and listen to YOUR ideas .it,s the time of our lifes when the weather gets better and we can ride that keeps me motivated to keep going up and doing the biz.have a think cheers AQL

keiththompson

« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2009, 12:56 AM »
Just to add to the "ORB" pic...this came out on one of mine I took on Monday.................scary dary......
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:02 AM by keiththompson »

keiththompson

« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2009, 01:04 AM »
wasn,t sure of that table and new berm,but it,s looking sweet great idea.the spawn of death pack love the name it,s begining to look real good.when ya putting the hard work in and people are riding there bikes it can be depressing,i even heard one of em say it,s the shits!!!!! but is that rider willing to lift a spade and walk the talk? is he fook he won,t even get off his 24" dirt jumper that daddy bought him and look at a spade never mind use the fooking thing.all they say is "WHY DON,T YA BUILD THIS BUILD THAT","WHAT JUMPS CAN YOU DO" and of course "HOW MUCH WAS THAT BIKE".IF THERES ANY OF EM READING GET YA DADS TO BUY YA A SHOVEL AND COME UP ASK WHAT WE ARE DOING LEND A HAND.then i,d give ya some respect and listen to YOUR ideas .it,s the time of our lifes when the weather gets better and we can ride that keeps me motivated to keep going up and doing the biz.have a think cheers AQL

You have to jump the "death-pack". Then and only then are you aloud to voice an opinion like "the shits". Was that on saturday?

paulgray

« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18 AM »

Sometimes ideas work and sometime not, often there's no way to know until it's built, if it don't work you just dig it up and try again, that's the beauty of dirt.

Personally I aint bothered by the lads that just come up and ride (so long at they behave well), I enjoy creating jumps and it feels good to see people enjoying what we build. I don't expect we will get much help to be honest, remember all the people that used to ride BITD and how many did a lot of digging then? not many apart from us AQL. There are a few that have shown an interest and picked up a shovel, like Evan for example and I'm expecting to see Matty back up there when the weather improves and he's not away partying ...er I mean studying at Uni  :2funny:

I have to laugh at the ones that say it's the shits, they usually have a big mouth and no bottle, next time someone says that just give him your spade and tell him to get diggin. If anyone jumps the Death Pack and then tells us it's the shits, well that's fine, we'll just make it bigger  >:D

My only problem is with the ones dropping litter or damaging the jumps or giving me lip.  :rant: These yoofs that think they can do what they want, take the piss and show no respect, what is it with some young people eh? Like that lad on the crosser, or the one on Saturday night that thought it would be funny to grab my arse in the pub and then do a stupid dance in my face to amuse his four mates, he wasn't laughing when I planted him  :buck2:  :rant: Am I turning into a cantankerous old git or what  >:( ? You'll have to let me know  ??? ;)

Anyway back on subject, digging is good for you, it keeps you fit, it's fun and you'll feel good, so come and give it a go.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:26 PM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Just to add to the "ORB" pic...this came out on one of mine I took on Monday.................scary dary......

That's just one of them there dirt fairies dude  ::) be nice to them or they'll make you crash  :)

paulgray

« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Looking good yea!?

P.S.

There were some first time visitors there today, said they are bringing spades up on Saturday, heard that before but we'll see  ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:34 PM by paulgray »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx