gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 09:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 136523 times)

keiththompson

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2008, 07:01 PM »
Lovin' that Redline :daumenhoch:

Redline MKII, Skyways, Shimano DX, Elina Lightning Bolt, Suntour Power Stem, GT laid back seat post, Suntour headlock
Dia-comp 890 brakes, Suntour 44/16 sprockets, Comp 2 tyres, Mushroom grips, GT bars  Mongoose bars :smitten:

The Bars on those pics are deffo Robinson :P

As far As I can remember...
Redline V-bars,
Mongoose (cracked em),
Powerlight (cracked em),
Robinson.

Im sure the Redline frame and forks went to the tip (when I snapped it :P), So its buried somewhere where the land was filled in behind the skips :-[

Might get me metal detector out ::)

keiththompson

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2008, 07:05 PM »
I was just thinking today... All these pics on t'internet today... Imagine trying it back then on the ZX81. :LolLolLolLol:

paulgray

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2008, 09:39 PM »

Redline MKII, Skyways, Shimano DX, Elina Lightning Bolt, Suntour Power Stem, GT laid back seat post, Suntour headlock
Dia-comp 890 brakes, Suntour 44/16 sprockets, Comp 2 tyres, Mushroom grips, GT bars  Mongoose bars :smitten:

Redline V-bars,
Mongoose (cracked em),
Powerlight (cracked em),
Robinson.

Im sure the Redline frame and forks went to the tip (when I snapped it :P), So its buried somewhere where the land was filled in behind the skips :-[

How about a list of all the parts you destroyed up the quarry, might make a few of the OS restoration guys weep I reckon :laugh:

paulgray

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2008, 09:42 PM »
I was just thinking today... All these pics on t'internet today... Imagine trying it back then on the ZX81. :LolLolLolLol:

Aye these young'uns don't know they're born, who needs more than 1K of RAM anyway, when I were a lad we had to make do with an abacus ... etc ... etc ...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:20 PM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Work has started on new Swampside doubles. This is gonna be the landing ramp, hopefully there will be multiple take off options.

keiththompson

« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2008, 10:42 AM »

Redline V-bars,
Mongoose (cracked em),
Powerlight (cracked em),
Robinson.

How about a list of all the parts you destroyed up the quarry, might make a few of the OS restoration guys weep I reckon :laugh:

To be honest, not alot got broken. That Redline stood me in good stead for a good number of years :), and once I swapped the bendy Acs rims with the tuffs It all held together pretty well. I remember a few cranks bending to a 20 to 4 angle though ::).

keiththompson

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:48 PM by keiththompson »

aditup 2234

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2008, 11:50 AM »
Tommy, it looks like it in the bottom of the quarry, between the tree stump and the "track", looking up. He looks like he is jumping off near the old tabletop.
Ad  :daumenhoch:

keiththompson

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Tommy, it looks like it in the bottom of the quarry, between the tree stump and the "track", looking up. He looks like he is jumping off near the old tabletop.
You are prob right, but i dont remember it been that steep to his left. Ill have a look today when I take the dog out.

paulgray

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2008, 08:05 AM »
You are prob right, but i dont remember it been that steep to his left. Ill have a look today when I take the dog out.

I agree with Adam, he's dropping into the bottom of the quarry next to where I've been dumping the gorse bushes. Big drop, good job he's got suspension.

paulgray

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2008, 08:30 PM »
Another attic searched, Nige Huttons archive, here's a taster

Nigel Hutton, tabletop, 1983

aditup 2234

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Keep em coming Paul, lovin the pics.
Good work.

paulgray

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2008, 09:02 PM »
You still soakin up the sun Ad, you lucky man, orrible weather here  ;)

paulgray

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Hey Ad, isn't that my old back wheel? I had a set of yellow ACS Zeds with red hubs.

aditup 2234

« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2008, 08:38 AM »
Paul, I seem to remember getting that wheel off Simon Bostock (martins brother). I swapped the "Z" for the nasty yellow mags I had.
Dont remember you running "Z"s?
Soaking up the sun? Not really, though it is still warm. Too busy looking for work?????
Keep the pics coming paul, enjoying them.

mikebmx92

« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Just to add to your opening history lesson... There was the nightmare time (late 80's) when the whole place was planned to be used as a tip and one sad day the then existing jumps we built had been bull-dozed. Still, what was a bulldozer compared to a group of enthusiastic kids with a shovel each, and with a fresh canvess to work on the jumps were re-built, bigger and better than ever. Remember the abuse that council woman got when she and fellow council planners were in the quarry making plans of the "supposed" tip. Was it a petition from the locals "not" wanting a smelly tip in the area that sent them finally packing.

You also forgot to mention another person who put a lot of effort into the building... how could you forget your own brother.............TED :P

And finally I think that must be the only pic (and ive only just noticed) that Im riding my 1st BMX ... the mighty Puch Murray... what a suprise to see that again ;D

It would have been a tragedy if they'd filled it in, I think I buried that memory away, somewhere dark. I don't remember Ted doing much diggin  ;) but I do remember you snappng the Puck and bending those ACS Zeds in half on your redline. I also remember that lad from the Boro takin a hundred yard run up, hittin the table top and sailing over our heads, I wonder if he ever fully recovered from that landing  :LolLolLolLol:

alright paul its mike who building the quarry sine 1992 with dan n ste , havent really done anything up there this year as i have lack of help sine dan left,
this winter im gonna start fixing it up again and build some new stuff i have in mind... awesome to see all the old pics i have loads from 92 onwards its change a hell of a lot over the years as the riding has progressed,
but the first few will always stick in my mind as the most fun part. hope ya good mate, the quarry will always rule and always has, take it easy
mike hill aql

paulgray

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2008, 04:03 PM »
Paul, I seem to remember getting that wheel off Simon Bostock (martins brother). I swapped the "Z" for the nasty yellow mags I had.
Dont remember you running "Z"s?
Soaking up the sun? Not really, though it is still warm. Too busy looking for work?????
Keep the pics coming paul, enjoying them.

Yea I had Zeds for a while on my Huffy Pro Thunder which I gave to Ted. You can just about make out the back one in this pic.

paulgray

« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2008, 04:25 PM »

alright paul its mike who building the quarry sine 1992 with dan n ste , havent really done anything up there this year as i have lack of help sine dan left,
this winter im gonna start fixing it up again and build some new stuff i have in mind... awesome to see all the old pics i have loads from 92 onwards its change a hell of a lot over the years as the riding has progressed,
but the first few will always stick in my mind as the most fun part. hope ya good mate, the quarry will always rule and always has, take it easy
mike hill aql

Hey Mike,

Good to hear from you, I've heard your name mentioned up the quarry a lot (I'm sure I've met you a few years ago when Dan was riding) and was wondering if you were still riding. I stopped racing in 89 but still made it up the quarry for a few years after that to jump but packed in around 92 due to a trapped nerve in my back. Anyway back to the present, as you can see from the pics me and Nige have done a bit of work. We were starting to wonder if anyone was still interested in the BIG stuff as it obviously hasn't been maintained or used much recently, but we didn't want to start robbing dirt or messing with the jumps to much in case you still wanted them. It will be good to see you up there so we can co-ordinate plans and hopefully have some good stuff ready for next summers riding season. Not much happened this last week as Nige was away and I was busy with other stuff, plus weather totally crap! Would be nice to see some of your pics on here  :daumenhoch:

Paul

mikebmx92

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2008, 04:43 PM »
HELL YEAH MATE I STILL RIDE , BEEN RIDING A FEW DIFFERENT SPOTS THIS YEAR AND LAST DUE TO LACK OF RIDERS AND HELP DIGGING I HAVE LOADS OF PICS FROM 93 ONWARDS BUT IM COMPLETELY USELESS WITH COMPUTERS AND DONT KNOW HOW TO POST THEM UP, IF YOU SEND ME YOUR EMAIL ILL GET THEM OVER TO YOU, SOME REALLY AWESOME PICTURES.... YEAH I SPOKE TO YOU A FEW TIMES WHEN DAN WAS HERE ... ITS ONLY REALLY ME N STE NOW SO MAINTENANCE ISNT SO EASY, SO A HAND WOULD BE GREAT... GONNA START MENDING STUFF SOON FOR NEXT SUMMER... IF WE GET ONE.
AND AS FOR THE BIG STUF YEAH WE NEED THEM HAHA AND THANKS FOR NOT JUST USING THE DIRT ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I RODE THE QUARRY BUT IM FAR FROM DONE YET MATE HAHA.. THERE IS GONNA BE SOME SERIOUSE STUFF BUILT THIS YEAR ... A HUGE STEP UP OFF THE BACK OF THE LAST ONE IN THE DEATH PACK AND THE BERM IS GONNA BE 6 FOOT HIGH AND VERTICAL TO ALLOW FOR A MONSTER BACK UP THE QUARRY
IM REAL GLAD PEOPLE ARE SHOWING AN INTEREST AGAIN AS ITS BEEN SO DEAD FOR SO MANY YEARS AND STARTING TO GET TO ME... THIS INSPIRED TO MAKE WHAT WILL BE THE CRAZYEST TRAILS IN THE COUNTRY EVEN CRAZYER
15 YEARS IVE BEEN GOIN UP THERE AND THERES ANOTHER 15 LEFT MATE.
3 MONTHS I SPENT BUILDING ON MY OWN IN THAT AWEFULL SUMMER OF 07 TO RIDE IT FOR 1 MONTH..... LETS MAKE NEXT YEAR ONE TO REMEMBER, I LIKE THE FACT YOUR REVIVING THE OLD TRACK
I WAS SAYING TO STE WE SHOULD PUT THE OLD QUATER PIPE BACK IN AT THE BOTTOM THE OTHER DAY.

OH YEAH AND IVE SEEN YOU UP AT WHISTLE STOP ON YA ROAD BIKE TO... I RIDE A HUSKY 610 SUPERMOTO might have SEEN ME TO. MIKE HILL ... AQL

mikebmx92

« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2008, 05:01 PM »
PS IF I MAIL YOU MY PICS CAN YOU POST EM UP HAHA IM SO SO BAD WITH COMPUTERS. MY E MAIL IS mick_bmx799@hotmail.com  look forward to hereing back mate
i have some really awesome pictures and  an article of the quarry and me and ste in ride uk from about 10 years ago.

ill pop up at the weekend ...later mike

Eddy

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Alreet, am Alex and am originally from Hartlepool.  A few of the guys on here know me from helping build the Summerhill track or Fenstrails.  Anyways I got a few pics from up the quarry from a few years back, mostly of a local lad from the 'pool called Vornie

Next time am back up home and not dragging a whacker plate about up summerhill I will take a bimble over, am living in manchester at the moment and running my own trail regieme :

« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 05:16 PM by Eddy »

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Where yer living now then Mike (I would say I haven't seen yer round Newcastle for a while but since I don't go out down the toon anymore that would be difficult). Last I heard you were down Leeds?

Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Eddy

« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Actually, just remembered.  I made a trails video a while back up from old footage I took in 99 / 2000 from various spots around the teeside including Ayton, Fens an guizzy, Mike is on it, as is Ste and Baz plus some of the hartlepool locals.  Click the link below, you will have to excuse the camera work, its a bit iffy!

http://www.usmbcworld.co.uk/spadework/trailer.wmv

mikebmx92

« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Alright eddy good vid mate haha brilliant never seen that before good to see shulze to and baz nice one,
ill have to check out your spot in manchester.
any more vids or picks kickin about... reckon a quarry reunion needs to happen me.
remember that random jam up there years ago ... i remember tryin front flips into a bouny castle... fun times mate

mikebmx92

« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2008, 06:09 PM »
alright big plinky,

is this andy dont recognise the name big plinky haha

me lass lives in leeds so im there quite a bit and some good friends of mine have some trails in brighouse so im over there quite a bit but i still live in boro
my workshop is just down the road from the quarry.. i come to newcastle now and then not as often as id like, as i have some good friend up there.

take it easy mate.. mike..

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx