gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 03:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BB lock nut upgrade?????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BB lock nut upgrade?????  (Read 878 times)

beaglepopper

BB lock nut upgrade?????
« on: October 09, 2008, 01:24 PM »
My bb locknut keeps coming loose, can you get an upgraded locknut like you can for headsets? If you can im damned if i can find one!!!

JT71

Re: BB lock nut upgrade?????
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:29 PM »
is it for a one piece?

if it is find a tioga BB set, they come with a toothed washer steup that don't come loose.  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 01:37 PM »
And you have to back the bearing race up against the locknut to get it locked up tight  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 02:27 PM »
i think wwwextreme-direct.co.uk or com??  are doing Tiogo BB's for 1 piece cranks for £8 at the moment   :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 02:32 PM »
And you have to back the bearing race up against the locknut to get it locked up tight  :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch:

Tighten it up.  When is in the correct position.  Hold the inner nut (in this case the bearing race) with a spanner and then tighten the outer nut onto it.

Then recheck its still okay (in case its moved slightly).    If you've done it right then the two nuts will be tightened up against each other.

This will mean they are less likely to come undone due to the friction between the two nuts.  :)

If you just tighten the outside nut then the inner nut will turn with it and will overtighten the crank!!  :(

Most bicycle spanners are quite thin to give easy access to this sort of situation!! :daumenhoch:

Whenever you have a 2 nut setup then always tighten one nut against the other!!  :)

beaglepopper

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Cheers guy's! Yes it is for a opc & what moley has said is exactly where ive gone wrong. I tightened the nut against the race & not the two together.

Thanks pickle for the heads up on cheap tioga bb's as i want one of these for my new secret project  :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Hutch did one,seen plenty on ebay.looks like a tiny,internally threaded D.K seatclamp.

beaglepopper

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Ive had a look hutchman but cant find any. Any links???

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Do it right as described and no need for any fancy schmacy replacement nuts  :LolLolLolLol:

Maybe I should have gone into a little more detail on my post  ;)

Better to crash and burn than fade away

JT71

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Do it right as described and no need for any fancy schmacy replacement nuts  :LolLolLolLol:

Maybe I should have gone into a little more detail on my post  ;)

I got what meant first time Marty.  :daumenhoch:

but remember, eveythings backwards downunder.

you gonna get one of them fancy toilets that make the water spin the right way when you flush em?
(or was that a fictional device on the simpons?)

beaglepopper

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Ive sorted it now & its super tight, that bitch aint going nowhere!  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BB lock nut upgrade?????

gfxgfx
gfx gfx