gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 07:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Haro old and new??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Haro old and new??  (Read 1569 times)

Linus27

Haro old and new??
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:28 PM »
In the good old days, Haro bikes used to be the dogs chunky monkeys but what are they like now, especially compared to the current crop of decent new school bikes? Are they mass produced crap, middle of the road or top of the tree decent bikes??
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 05:34 PM by Linus27 »

kingkeef

Re: Haro old and new??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Do you mean the current crop??   :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Linus27

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:36 PM »
HAHAHAHA that really was a genuine mistake. Just in case those who missed it, I put current crap instead of current crop and it really was a genuine mistake. Maybe it was an outside force giving me the answer.  :LolLolLolLol: Anyway, are the current crop of Haro bikes any good or just run of the mill bikes?

dibly

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 06:00 PM »
i heard they have something similar to a small uk company that they claim to have developed  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:10 PM »
i personally think haro went downhill in the early to mid 90's as thats when so many rider owned companies cropped up and built frames which were designed to handle the rigours of how extreme the riding became where as haro kept making basic run of the mill bikes, look at how many haros hoffman killed, was it one a day? all imo of course :daumenhoch:

ive no idea how the modern haros are im sure with the technology today they are much better than the 90's haros but for me the last great haros were the bashgaurd sport and master and that is mainly for looks
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:13 PM by kev s »

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 06:11 PM »
They are main stream generic bikes, nothing wrong with them at each price point, but they are mostly beginners bikes.

To sum it up: They are not innovators and leaders as they used to be, just mass-produced bean-counter bikes.

As Darren suggests, their upmarket brand, Premium, is better - actually I used to have one and it was lovely to ride. But it seems they have ripped off UK Bike Co with their new frame...so it seems that they are not leaders either.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 06:39 PM »
But it seems they have ripped off UK Bike Co with their new frame

I hear what you are saying mate but couldn't that be directed at most bike companies these days. Take a look at the link below and tell me, apart from the cheep stuff, any major noticeable differences apart from the odd brake lugs being on the bottom instead of on the down tubes. They're pretty much all identical as far as geometry is concerned. Materials are all the same, more choice of BB's but it's either Euro or Spanish. There isn't really anyone who stands out as far as innovation goes because it's nearly all been done.

Just my thoughts.

Daz.

http://www.cyclesportuk.co.uk/index.php?cPath=32
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

dibly

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:47 PM »
yep i hear what you are saying and totally agree, i took so much abuse for launching frames with a technology that has never been used before in bmx or any bikes for that matter and also got a load of stick for bringing a frame out with a lower top tube than most but then one of the big companies brought out the same frame

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 07:35 PM »
dib dobs!

do you have the patent rights to the frame? or did you have to forgo it to let the manufacturer make the frame. just would have thought you'd have some sort of legal case against premium on this. i remember this scenario back with T1 in the late 90's. they're frames were made by spooky at first, then shortly after the rise of T1 spooky released the 'brown hornet' and i think 'the underdog' which were basically the progression and barcode, but they were the manufacturer which is why they had the patents. just wouldn't have thought your manufacturer would be able to sell them to premium

dibly

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 08:08 PM »
i have rights in certain countries for the process, and as i do not manufacture the frames myself etc etc the same rules do not apply and to get world wide patent on something like that is near impossible espes over in taiwan if you notice the premium has a13.75 rear which is different to mine so its not the same all plays a part in them being able to do but it does not affect my company i came out with the first frame months a go and mine are in stock monday theirs are not even built yet

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 08:32 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

darkersomeday

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 11:38 PM »
i personally think haro went downhill in the early to mid 90's

ironically that, for me, says it all about "haro"

Guillotte

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 08:35 AM »
After the 88' Sport they sucked  ::)

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 01:15 AM »
 I`m a huge Haro fan but i agree that they went a bit  pearshaped , nothing that they do now seems out of the ordinary or innovative t.b.h , mind you Daz raises a point i`ve thought about too , there are no really innovative or distinctive mainstream bikes out there now ..all so samey its a bit sad really , same frames ,same bars ..chrome rear wheel , black front ..yawn.....
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 02:27 PM »
I`m a huge Haro fan but i agree that they went a bit  pearshaped , nothing that they do now seems out of the ordinary or innovative t.b.h , mind you Daz raises a point i`ve thought about too , there are no really innovative or distinctive mainstream bikes out there now ..all so samey its a bit sad really , same frames ,same bars ..chrome rear wheel , black front ..yawn.....

cos the 'same' design works...........it's just evolved into what we have now cos it works  :daumenhoch:

they might all look the same but they definately are not!

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 10:45 PM »
they seem to be getting there act together, the 09 bikes are quite cool but nothing like the Fit's, united's, fbm's of this year, but as Dave (stodgy) says, they are decent entry level bikes in good colours.....

lodge

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 02:39 PM »
The new F-series haro completes have four pegs and front & rear u-brakes they say that this is so riders can start at a earlier age on a four peg two brake bike.
Sounds sensible to me.

DJ

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 07:27 PM »
Of course my opinion is somewhat biased BUT, they get a bad rep from most people...
Just take a look at the spec on the completes, not just the 09 range but last year & before... they arent any worse than the others to be honest. A lot of their stuff is designed or inputted by their team, Mackay, Hucke, Ish, Nyquist, Wallace plus they have Josh Harrington & Garrett Reynolds dealing with the Premium stuff..
Admittedly they did slide quite badly thru the 90's but since the departing of Mirra & a lot of back room guys they realised they needed to step back up to the plate cause they wouldnt sell bikes off 1 guys name anymore & I think they have done quite well. They are'nt as over trendy as Fit, United etc etc but who the fook wants to be anyway?
& to show that their frames are'nt half as bad as mot think, the WHOLE team run stock frames, not 1 single guy runs a custom frame & Wallace has run the same frame for nearly a year.....
Haro were the first to come with the removable brake lugs, people laughed until Fly came out with it... Same as the Pivitol seat system, Haro had 1 out about 7 years ago, slightly different but not much & no-one wanted into it either.
At the end of the day you have to cool to be able to present new shit & it be accepted, then every fooker jumps on, same as UKBikeCo tecnology, no matter who brings what to the table, as long as it's functional eventually everyone will follow suit. I feel for Dibly but at the end of the day those dirtbags in Taiwan arent loyal to any fooker... did I rant??? Anyway...

My 08 Forum lite has been great (albeit not used as much as it should be!), stock weight was around 25lbs I believe but I have some lighter bits on there than stock, Premium lite front wheel, bars, stem, pivitol seat & post plus new haro FR pedals which are super good also.... havent weighed it to be honest but its ok, Im not too fussed about that shit

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 09:06 PM by DJ »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Haro old and new??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx