gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 02:49 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Auburn Forks. Crown Race Stopper shim thingy is fooked!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Auburn Forks. Crown Race Stopper shim thingy is fooked!  (Read 457 times)

moley

Auburn Forks. Crown Race Stopper shim thingy is fooked!
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I bought those tatty Auburn Forks of the BAY!!

The Crown race stopper which the crown race is firmly pushed (whacked) onto has cracked away from the Stopper.

I presume the stopper was an all in one piece like an upside down Top Hat washer.   Then welded into place.

Anyway not only has it cracked away but it is totally gone now!!

I picked at it wondering WTF was going on and the half fell off!!

It probs would have broke when I twatted the crown race on and might have been harder to remove.

How do I fix it?   I presume the crown race has to fit really snug against the stopper and fork head tube to prevent movement in all 4 directions  :(

The Crown Races are too big for the 1" forks.   I am using a GT Pro Series/Epoch type type headset which has 2 crown races.  26.4mm and 27mm so I definitely needed that broken shim!!  >:(

Also the threads are a bit little fooked too.  What size TPI is the the 1" thread?

Any ideas?  :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
Re: Auburn Forks. Crown Race Stopper shim thingy is fooked!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:01 PM »
ya could take it somewhere n get it welded n lathed again or wrap strips of tin n tin foil around for a quick n quite effective fix :daumenhoch:

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:04 PM »
ya gonna hate me Moley, i found a pair of Auburn forks at shiners on wednesday

do you want me to see if there for sale

moley

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Jai, I would love a good minty pair!!

And I dont hate you.

These forks are shite!!

They need rechroming!!  The threads are totally fooked lower down but I might be able to get away with it.   And there there huge gouges the size of the Grand Canyon on the steerer tube!!  :shocked:

They cost less than £20 including shipping from the US of A   

Any Auburn forks would be better than these.   

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Auburn Forks. Crown Race Stopper shim thingy is fooked!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx