gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 11:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  HELP SAVE PROLITE!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: HELP SAVE PROLITE!!  (Read 952 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
HELP SAVE PROLITE!!
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Whatever you maythink of the new Prolite stuff that Cycleport do, im writing this as a plea for help.
My mate Dan runs the mail order business at Cyclesport, and he has told me that another company has challenged Cyclesport and is in fact taling them to court over the use of the name PROLITE.
This other company claim that Cyclesport dont own the name, and in order to prove that they do and have traded using the Prolite name for a long time, they are deperatley seeking scans of old Cyclesport adverts from past issues of Ride Magazine and Invert magazine, with Prolite stuff listed. I have got rid of all my old mags, but I told DanId ask on Rad to see if anyone can hlep by scanning any old cyclesport adverts, and with the date of the mazine they are from,
any help appreciated guys.
Many thanks!
steve

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: HELP SAVE PROLITE!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I have ride mags from the mid 90's with cyclesport/prolite adds & a couple of prolite bike tests in if that's any good?
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Don't sound good...   :-\ But Moley should be able to help out here as he has stacks of mags (all bikes of course  ;D ). I hope it gets sorted out Steve  :)

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:05 PM »
all the ads in invert i have show no listing of prolite stuff, its only till i get to 1995 ride mag that there are listings for prolite

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:03 PM »
The original Prolite name was owned by Freewheeler Leisure Products bitd, thats if you`re refering to the same company that Craig rode for, is it them that are challenging Cyclesport, or are Cyclesport part of Freewheeler Leisure Products :-\
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

moley

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Don't sound good...   :-\ But Moley should be able to help out here as he has stacks of mags (all bikes of course  ;D ). I hope it gets sorted out Steve  :)

I have loads of OS mags but the only MS mags (1990's) are BMX Plus mags.

I have some NS mags but they only date back to 2001/02

moley

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 02:39 PM »
JT71 Bought 9 Invert mags (1990 onwards) from me at Creation.  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 04:10 PM »
JT71 Bought 9 Invert mags (1990 onwards) from me at Creation.  :daumenhoch:

yes he did, they're in his van, he's wondering if he should go and fetch them when he fetches his shorts from his as he's going riding tonight.  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 04:29 PM »
here you go, Aug/Sept 92

if you save the pic and zoom in it's all clear.

ps: moley these were exactly the mags I was looking for. cheers.

JT71

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 04:35 PM »
that ad shows the prolite race stem in the stems/bars/head parts section.

check out the MRD Badlander ad.

"must be worth £300"

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

no sh1t sherlock. lol. if only we knew then what we know now.....

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:51 PM by JT71 »

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 05:48 PM »
I was told the new owners of Cyclesport are not interested in BMX and have cancelled their ad in Ride magazine and will be downsizing the bmx side in order to build up xc and road bike sales

:) DINGO :)

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 06:15 PM »
 :( If that`s the case,`tis a sad day indeed.Have used Cyclesport for years,good prices and good service too...

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 06:35 PM »
please keep those ads coming - ned any from the mid school 94 onwards era if poss.
Dingo, Cyclesport is owned by a guy called Paul who has the mail order business, and also two shops, one in Grantham and one somewhere else , maybe Loncoln or Preston..
anyway, here's the deal

a road bike parts company have been using the name Prolite and are challenging Cyclesport for it. Theyve not been doing it long and Cyclesport bought the name and stock etc from Freewheeler back in the 80's or early 90's.

The two Cyclesport shops have just been sold and are keeping the name Cyclesport, and Paul the original owner and Dan the head of mail order are continuing to trade BMX mail order under a new name whih i believe will be BMX CITY
The same service, products and stuff the import / distribute,just a new name due to selling off the two high street shops still called Cyclesport.
Hope that makes things clearer!

bof

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 07:12 PM »

Sorry the scans so bad but its when dire was supersize and it wont fit on my scanner its from issue 20 dec95  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:15 PM by bof »

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 08:39 PM »
I've scanned some adds/tests but photobucket is fecking about, I'll try again in the morning

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:42 PM »
please keep those ads coming - ned any from the mid school 94 onwards era if poss.
Dingo, Cyclesport is owned by a guy called Paul who has the mail order business, and also two shops, one in Grantham and one somewhere else , maybe Loncoln or Preston..
anyway, here's the deal

a road bike parts company have been using the name Prolite and are challenging Cyclesport for it. Theyve not been doing it long and Cyclesport bought the name and stock etc from Freewheeler back in the 80's or early 90's.

The two Cyclesport shops have just been sold and are keeping the name Cyclesport, and Paul the original owner and Dan the head of mail order are continuing to trade BMX mail order under a new name whih i believe will be BMX CITY
The same service, products and stuff the import / distribute,just a new name due to selling off the two high street shops still called Cyclesport.
Hope that makes things clearer!

Steve I was speaking with Spen who told me about the ad being cancelled but didnt realise the mail order would continue, are they keeping the warehouse over the road then?

:) DINGO :)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Yeah the warehouse is staying... thank goodness!

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 10:14 AM »
Don't know how well they show up here, but if you save & open up with paint or whatever it should blow them up.

ride mag feb/mar 1995

ride mag jun/jul 1996

ride mag apr/may 1997

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Steve, my wife used to work for a patent, copyright and trademark lawyers I'll ask her if she can ask him for some freebie advice  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

subversion

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 01:52 PM »
:( If that`s the case,`tis a sad day indeed.Have used Cyclesport for years,good prices and good service too...

Let's hope Dan keeps it rocking :daumenhoch:

CityBMXDAn

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Hey everyone, Dan from Cyclesport here. Thanks to everyone thats posted an ad and please keep them coming if anyone has anymore. Me and Paul really appreciate all your help and this is going to make things a lot easier for us. Lets stop those evil roadbikers getting their hands on our Prolite!

Oh, and i know Steve has already told you but just to clarify Cyclesport is definately NOT closing or stopping BMX, its just the retail shops in Grantham and Lincoln that have been sold. I`m still doing the BMX mailorder over here at the warehouse so give me a shout if you need anything.

We cant close down anyway, i`ve got far too much old weird stuff to sell here in the warehouse.

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 05:27 PM »
Hey Dan, Good on you for joining Radbmx !
Ive always loved buying from cyclepsort, always a top service, brilliant wheel builders, superb stock and also a whole load of old/mid school bmx goodies lurking in the warehouse...! check out their ebay shop as Dan keeps sticking the odd treat on there.. mongoose pads anyone? Powerlite frames? Prolite sickersets, Sun chrome 24" rims... etc etc
Im glad that Paul has sold the shops so that he and Dan can concentrate on the mail order which has always been top service, esp when you consider that they are a real competition to Alans/Winstanleys/Custom Riders and they have not even half the amount of staff s the aforementioned other places.
Lets save Prolite, it must MUST stay as a British bmx brand!
steve

subversion

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Hear Hear Steve!

Been running Prolite hubs for years without any problems :daumenhoch:

Hey Dan do you have a new contact number for the mail-order side of things now mate? Couldn't get through on the web site number today...

cheers
Ian

CityBMXDAn

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Hey Ian, thats definately the right number on the website but, as i`m sure Steve will probably tell you, its a bit difficult to get through sometimes as 99% of the time Cyclesport is manned by me on my own. Its especially busy after 4pm when the kids get home from school and start to ring me asking about how to get their bikes lighter. If theres anything you need keep trying or drop me a pm with what you need and your number and i`ll give you a call.

Dan

subversion

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Spoke to you today, cheers Dan :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  HELP SAVE PROLITE!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx