gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  SODA BLASTING FOR FRAMES AND FORKS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SODA BLASTING FOR FRAMES AND FORKS  (Read 1084 times)

trasher

SODA BLASTING FOR FRAMES AND FORKS
« on: September 22, 2008, 07:48 PM »
hello guys , don't know if this has been covered before ,,,
but has anybody ever had there frame and forks soda blasted (with backing soda )
its serposed to be less aggressive on the metal ,without altering the surface profile
leaving it nice and smooth like the day it was made ,and leaving a fine dust covering protecting it from surface rust
for a good few weeks before you get your top coat done ,,and its eco friendly ,and you can also make a cake with whats left

so if anyones had it done ,what was the finish like ,and how much was it ,and where did you get it done  :daumenhoch:

cheers
glen
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:03 PM by trasher »

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: SODA BLASTING FOR FRAMES AND FORKS
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:13 PM »
tbh mate you can have your frame blasted with anything you'd like,

it's all about high pressure, even water can strip your frame and cut it in half

if you want :)
For powder coating drop me a pm

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:33 PM »
 :) Would the fine dust covering react with paint/powder or chrome plate?

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:45 PM »
:) Would the fine dust covering react with paint/powder or chrome plate?

i wouldn't of thought so, deosnt matter how your frame is stripped, any decent painter will

re prep your frame prior to painting :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:38 PM »
dan is right ,the dust would stay on untill it goes to the finishes
dan you seem to be the man on here for finishing coats ,i know what you are saying about
removing paint with anything ,,even water ,with the right amount of pressure ,,it just seems that this soda blasting is less harsh on the frame
leaving a nice smooth finish ,giving a better prep for the final coat ,,theres even a clip on youtube  soda blasting a coke can
now to be able to blast a coke can and not damage the can ,must be good ,,as you probally know ,if you tried to blast it with
a conventional blaster it would rip the shite out of the can
just seems like a nice way to prep your frame to me
glen

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:29 PM »
 :) Cheers fellas-not trying to be negative,just wanted to know :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:38 PM »
dan you seem to be the man on here for finishing coats ,i know what you are saying about
removing paint with anything ,,even water ,with the right amount of pressure ,,it just seems that this soda blasting is less harsh on the frame
leaving a nice smooth finish ,giving a better prep for the final coat ,,theres even a clip on youtube  soda blasting a coke can
now to be able to blast a coke can and not damage the can ,must be good ,,as you probally know ,if you tried to blast it with
glen

glen, normal paint stripper will be the smoothest way you can strip a bike, any blasting no matter how smooth will

leave a texture on the metal, the best way is good ole stripper then 400 grit, your frame will come out as smooth

as a babbas bum as long as you get someone decent to paint it  ;)  trust me on this :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28 PM »
glen

glen, normal paint stripper will be the smoothest way you can strip a bike, any blasting no matter how smooth will

leave a texture on the metal, the best way is good ole stripper then 400 grit, your frame will come out as smooth

as a babbas bum as long as you get someone decent to paint it  ;)  trust me on this :daumenhoch:

iv stripped it the good old fashioned way mate , abit of nitromores does the job ,,ill be in touch if i decide to get a coloured finish
i fancy chrome at the mo , but it can be a bit expensive

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:02 PM »
kool mate, was it easy to strip?  i'm always here to help if you don't want to go chrome :)

trasher

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:16 PM »
kool mate, was it easy to strip?  i'm always here to help if you don't want to go chrome :)

piece of pish ,ill be in touch if i want a color finish mate ,,i had my last frame powdered locally and it wasnt that good
some fish eyeing ,but it did only cost £30 and its a rider , but i want a better finish next time  :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:23 PM »

piece of pish ,ill be in touch if i want a color finish mate ,,i had my last frame powdered locally and it wasnt that good
some fish eyeing ,but it did only cost £30 and its a rider , but i want a better finish next time  :daumenhoch:

here this all the time about bad paint jobs, my starting price is not much more and it will come out good ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 01:57 AM »

here this all the time about bad paint jobs, my starting price is not much more and it will come out good ;)

Dan, that's a down right lie there's not any frame you do "will come out good".  They all come out FANFOOKINGTASTIC  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

bof

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:08 AM »
I have had an aluminium  frame soda blasted and it came out like new, The dust just washed off prior to having it powdered  :)

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Just thought i'd chip in a little nugget of info
we paint strip aluminium aircraft parts with crushed walnut shells, they break down before doing any damage to the alloy or anodising.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  SODA BLASTING FOR FRAMES AND FORKS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx