gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 17, 2024, 08:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Tredegar track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tredegar track  (Read 1227 times)

Dgh

Tredegar track
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I tried this one on my MTB recently (hire store for BMX's was closed >:(). What sort of reputation does this track have? Toughie, easy, middling? I found it tough :-[.

Any tracks in/near South Wales you guys can recommend?

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Tredegar track
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Tredegar track is not one of the easiest tracks around , especially not good for riding and old school bike on
depending on where you are i would pay bristol's track a visit its a good track to ride and have fun on
and not too demanding

Theres also Hereford track but at the moment its a 1 lane track and very 80's style

Dgh

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 01:10 PM »
Glad to hear it wasn't just my crap riding 8)

Can you hire at the Bristol track?

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Glad to hear it wasn't just my crap riding 8)

Can you hire at the Bristol track?

No you can't hire bikes there as its a public track open 24hrs

Dgh

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 02:06 PM »
What's the Bristol track like to try on an MTB?

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:21 PM »
What's the Bristol track like to try on an MTB?

Better than Tredegar, put ya seatpost right down  :daumenhoch:

Dgh

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 04:18 PM »
And open 24 hrs a day?

I have a dilemma; do I go to Tredegar, to hire  a BMX & try that, or do I got to Bristol with my MTB and get used to riding over bumps? :-\

The latter I think best.

mr.magoo

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 04:26 PM »
shoot me down in flames, but in my opinion would find it harder to ride a track on a MTB due to geometry and suspension. But think you should try a more tame track, even on mtb, if yer like - get yerself a BMX build confidence then try Tredegar again. :4_17_5:

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 04:34 PM »
depends really he might have a 4X style MTB which are ok on bmx tracks, but if you want to ride and have fun
on a track then get yourself a cruiser

where about do you live as im in worcester

Dgh

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Mr Magoo, we're thinking along the same lines - try Bristol once on the MTB to get some confidence, then get a BMX.

SE - Bmxer - when I bought the MTB was just intending to ride along the taff trail for fitness, so not a 4X style.

Have thought about a cruiser. Haven't seen any OS cruisers for sale, so it's sort of, do I go for OS, or do I get a cruiser. Had been thinking of the latter, but I suspect that in OS I'm more likely to be against the same sort or person as myself (i.e. those who've been away from a BMX bike for a long time) :-\. Also heard OS a good way back into BMX. I'd be interested in your views.

I'm based in Cardiff, so Tredegar seemed the obvious place to go & try.

mr.magoo

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:20 PM »
Old school great way back in, but have to be careful to make sure you get one that fits nicely, cos wat feels ok on the street, feels completely different once on a track. Don't be confussed though, old-school is still competitive, i'm just moving up to cruisers now, been in old school since may, looking forward to the competition. (Once my knee has healed, or operated on) A lot easier to ride too! But would not completely turn my back on old school, cos thats my roots, and i love 20".

Dgh

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13 PM »
It's a bugger of a dilemma, that one - cruiser or old school? :-\

A few questions to help me decide;

Is the likelihood of embarassment significantly greater in Cruiser (30 to 39 age group) than in OS? (This question assumes that cruiser racing would not be OS)

Is a cruiser significantly easier to handle for someone who hasn't been on a 20" for over 20 years?

I'd better perhaps explain my motivation. I've ridden a bike on and off for years, had months off 'cos of a fooked up wrist, got back on again recently and decided I wanna race. I work out in a gym, am reasonably fit (although a few kilos too many) and fancied a bit of competition. BMX in the media got me thinking about it again, remembered how much I liked it as a kid, and thought, why not? 8)

mr.magoo

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26 PM »
Is different for everyone, for me 20" was natural, as that was what i was good at bitd, and had only ever ridden a cruiser once in the 80's and didn't get on with it. Never got into MTB, generally hardly riden a bike in 22 years.

First time back at a track, albeit a small one with small jumps, plucked up the courage to jump all the doubles, within half hour. The local 7 year old goading me helped!!!

Tried 2 different cruisers in last month and couldn't believe how much they've changed, feels like a bigger BMX, rather than the 26" one i rode in the 80's. Ride same as BMX, only diference i found was front wheel a bit squiffy when going hell for leather, but thats cos i didn't figure on the amount of movement swining the bars side to side would create on the front wheel.

I don't think i could have come back and been as fast to get back up to confidence and speed on a cruiser, but thats me.

Depends what you've got used to and what you were like on a BMX bitd.

Only you can answer them questions. Good luck!

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 08:39 PM »
If you want to try out both type of bikes OS bike, 24" cruiser or even a new school 20" why don't
you come to the meeting at Bullwell in Nottingham on the 5th October, its a great day out and im
sure peeps will let you have ago on there bikes, i'll have all my bikes there OS, cruiser & NS 20"
and you welcome to try them

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=60830.0

Dgh

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 09:32 PM »
 :)

SE - Bmxer: That is not a bad idea. Will have to see what wife thinks - it's near our birthdays so maybe she won't mind ::)

Mr Magoo - comment re the swinging bars is interesting. I do like to use my upper body (even on the MTB) to get some power to the pedals, so that's something to bear in mind.

Dgh

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 10:18 PM »
 :(

Wife has committment for 4th Oct, and reckons Nottingham too far to go & come back same day. So looks like I'll have to miss 5th.

dialledbikes

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Is the likelihood of embarassment significantly greater in Cruiser (30 to 39 age group) than in OS? (This question assumes that cruiser racing would not be OS)

Cruiser is a lot faster/more competitive than old school, especially at national level.

Regionally it depends which region you'll be racing in.  30-39 in the South next season will be wide open (lots of new riders of similar level joining it), whereas 40+ is pretty stacked.  By comparison, I think Midlands 30-39 is pretty stacked, but they don't have many 40+ riders.

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 09:13 AM »
i do my first rookie 40+ race this weekend at Bullwell as its the first qualifiying race for next years brits

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 10:00 AM »
i do my first rookie 40+ race this weekend at Bullwell as its the first qualifiying race for next years brits

Your region is mental - starting 09 regionals before they've even had the Midlands Champs  :uglystupid2:  ;)

Diego

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 07:29 PM »
I went from an MTB to a 20 inch and struggled.So my advice is to go the cruiser route.Good luck.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Tredegar track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx