gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 07:07 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  airs with no crank
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: airs with no crank  (Read 1661 times)

retrodave

airs with no crank
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:15 PM »
anyone remember in possable action bike some one airing on a half pipe with no crank just a bit of bar through the bottom bracket  .maybe a yellow GT poss "dave slade"
anybody got the mag for some pic s ( or was it a dreem I had ) 

also would like to post some pics up how do you do that tryed to copy and paste but no joy

ta dave  :Great_Britain:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: airs with no crank
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:51 PM »
There were a couple of pictures of a bike someone built up to go down hill fast that didn't have a crank on it.  Had a layback and drop handlebars of some sort.
I don't remember seeing anyone doing airs without one though.

Jesse

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:04 AM »
It was Jess Dyrenforth on a yellow Performer. the 'XS' section... something to do with pumping *ahem*

retrodave

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:20 AM »
thanks for that

light bikes are in no crank/chain/free wheel could catch on with the no brake crowd

evamedia

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Pretty sure it was at Mon's ramp that Jess was airing it

part time

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:58 AM »
No it was definatley some city type backyard ramp.  I seem to remember he had a pair of handle bar grips attached to the 'bar' through the bb as well, in pre lock-on days that was a pretty scary thing to do!!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:05 AM »
Pretty sure it was at Mon's ramp that Jess was airing it

It wasnt at Mons, I think it was that ramp where they all used to ride Ninja scooters.

We all used to joke that it was because Jess couldnt Pump, so he took his cranks off to stop him pedaling.

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 08:18 AM »

was dave slade a shortish fair haired bloke ?  the name seems familiar

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:31 AM »

Yes, that sounds like Dave. He almost started the whole UK street riding scene by himself.
He is a mate of 'flatcap', and is now a holywood film director.

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 08:40 AM »

thought that name sounded familiar, rode with him a few times ( very badly i might add ) did you know harry,shaky al,chris hamer, mad john and zac ?

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:15 PM »

Yes, that sounds like Dave. He almost started the whole UK street riding scene by himself.
He is a mate of 'flatcap', and is now a holywood film director.

Dave had a huge amount to do with the UK street riding scene as you say Alex but one name that always gets forgotten when it comes to street was Warren 'Sid' Saddall. He was the very first person to do BB grinds on benches, there's a picture of him somewhere doing one when R.A.D. came to Retford. He was on a Performer I think with the fake barbed wire on his frame. Small fella with bleached spikey hair. Sid had a lot to do with early street riding as well and not a lot of people know that  ;)

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 04:58 PM »
I knew Sid, used to see him in Sheffield quite often. There's a picture of him doing a blunt on some knackered concrete blocks, I think; credited as 'more of a skater' or something. Look, it's one small pic in a RAD magazine from the 80s, and my memory's failing.
But like you say, overlooked criminally.

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 07:30 PM »
I think that Sid guy got a photo in Freestylin when they did a UK scene report. I dont think there was a riding shot, and I always wondered who he was.

I scanned that report in and posted it up ages ago. Its her somewhere.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 08:06 PM »

Guillotte

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 07:37 AM »
Wasn't Sid the dude who could snort a necklace and regurgitate it? Also, I've noticed the kids at the local park are riding chainless... :wtf:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Wasn't Sid the dude who could snort a necklace and regurgitate it?

Yeah that's him Greg...I'd forgotten about that, he used to put it up his nose and pull it out from the back of his throat too. I've also seen him do it with a condom, used to look fecking horrible when he'd pull it back and forth through his nose and throat. I rode with Sid and his mate Jake a lot and he was a funny kid, used to make me laugh big style.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

yoda

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 03:05 PM »
The Ramp your on about was at the bottom of Jess's garden, I rode there with pepi and a few others one time we were hanging around london for a while. I think it was in Highgate ???  Damon will probs confirm it tho cos he had a few pics in mags riding there Im sure

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  airs with no crank

gfxgfx
gfx gfx