gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stupid advice please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stupid advice please  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Stupid advice please
« on: September 19, 2008, 02:24 PM »
I'm spending this afternoon putting together my bike for sunday and i've got round to doing the 1 piece crank, and well, its shite. Its not over tightened, but at the sametime its not flowing freely. The bearings are definately around the right way but its totally stumped me now :( The cups are in tight and its heavily greased up....

Help please....

Matt  :daumenhoch:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Stupid advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:30 PM »
matt this bike ure building
i dont think it wants to be built up lol
ya could have popped over ive been in all day
could have bodge it together
 :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Don't fancy popping over to Epping do you rhys for an hour? Fooking thing is doing my head in  :knuppel2:

toys19

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 02:32 PM »
try it without the chain?
if its still shite then make sure the cup and cone surfaces are not worn or pitted, and that the bearings are the correct size.
make sure its locked up properly as it may be tightening as you spin.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 02:34 PM »

Hi mate. The cups and cone surfaces are brand new, straight out of the box and tapped in today. The bearings are also from that box, so that same size. Its definately tightened up enough but not too much so it totally squeezes the bearings. Arrghhh so frigging frustrating this bike but I love it at the same time.... :(

try it without the chain?
if its still shite then make sure the cup and cone surfaces are not worn or pitted, and that the bearings are the correct size.
make sure its locked up properly as it may be tightening as you spin.

GREMLIN

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Have you taken it out for a wobble yet?  If all is in correctly a quick ride around usually settles the bottom bracket down and may free it up a little.   
Also as above I've had a b.b that used to tighten itself up as the crank turned. Is the b.b a set, or made from a couple of seperate ones?  G.  :)

toys19

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:37 PM »
dunno without looking at it...

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:41 PM »
G hi mate. The bottom bracket is from one set, all brand new, well NOS ;) It just seems so blinking tight but I have hardly tightened it up at all.... really want to get this damn bike done  >:(

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:42 PM »
Matt.......1 piece BB's are a bit of a pain.....but as long as you have the bearings in the right way, all you need to do is put the spider onto the crank arm, then add the lock nut that goes up against the spider and acts as the ball race for the drive side.  put the drive side bearings in with lots of grease.......put crank arm through drive side and up against the bearings.

then add the non drive bearings with grease........put on non drive lock nut (with the two slots to tighten it up) do this up so there is no play in the crank arm but don't over tighten it.  

then put on the final locking nut that goes up against the slotted bearing race nut you've just put on........tighten this right up and bobs your uncle........my one in my beat hasn't played up at all and it's only a cheap Halfrauds BB  :daumenhoch:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 02:44 PM »

Fook I know this Rob but its still playing up, done exactly as the below... normally piece of piss, this time a pain in the ass  >:( Just dunno what to do...

Matt.......1 piece BB's are a bit of a pain.....but as long as you have the bearings in the right way, all you need to do is put the spider onto the crank arm, then add the lock nut that goes up against the spider and acts as the ball race for the drive side.  put the drive side bearings in with lots of grease.......put crank arm through drive side and up against the bearings.

then add the non drive bearings with grease........put on non drive lock nut (with the two slots to tighten it up) do this up so there is no play in the crank arm but don't over tighten it. 

then put on the final locking nut that goes up against the slotted bearing race nut you've just put on........tighten this right up and bobs your uncle........my one in my beat hasn't played up at all and it's only a cheap Halfrauds BB  :daumenhoch:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 02:50 PM »
matt i would have done but missus is out and im here with the kids
as gremlin said prob needs a little ride to settle every thing

GREMLIN

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 02:52 PM »
It sounds like there are issues with the b.b then. If all is together properly.
The lock nut is tightened right down against the spider is it? If that is loose it undoes and winds the b.b tight...  :) G.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 02:55 PM »
G hi mate, yes its tight against the spider. I've been tweaking the nut on the other side i.e. non drive side (one with two slots)... i've loosened that so there is a tiny bit of play in the crank, then tightened up the locking nut and its moving better now. I think a slight overtightening with that nut which has got to slots in it might have been the problem. Actually guys, is there a special tool i'm supposed to be using to tighten that up? BITD I always used a screwdriver etc... LMK

Matt  :daumenhoch:

GREMLIN

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 03:02 PM »
I always use a screwdriver  :D.  The proper tool as far as I'm concerned.  >:D
Usually i set it so the play in the crank is just gone, then after a quick ride around all will have settled and usually needs another setting up.
I never have to adjust it again after that until it's removed for whatever reason.  :)  G.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 03:03 PM »

Ah ha.... so the screwdriver is the tool eh  ;D ok a quick ride around I will do once its done and then may have to tighten it up a touch more. Thanks G  :daumenhoch:

I always use a screwdriver  :D.  The proper tool as far as I'm concerned.  >:D
Usually i set it so the play in the crank is just gone, then after a quick ride around all will have settled and usually needs another setting up.
I never have to adjust it again after that until it's removed for whatever reason.  :)  G.

moley

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 03:05 PM »
You can get a special tool for it.  I have one!

But there probably pretty hard to get hold of!!

Tighten the slotted race cover and check it spins freely and is perfect for use.

Then stick on the the lock washer and nut.

When you tighten the lock nut use a screwdriver in the slotted race cover to stop it tightening while you tighten the lock nut.

In effect you a tightening the slotted race cover against the lock nut.

This will keep the slotted race cover and lock nut from undoing (due to pressure between the two) and will stop the slotted race cover from tightening and making the crank movement shite!

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 03:14 PM »
my angle grinder tool just happens to be a perfect fit for 1pc's too. handy because i never use it on the grinder. well at least it has a purpose now :LolLolLolLol:
it sound's too tight, or you have the bearings upside down but that would be very obvious me thinks. even for a novice ???
ding dong

moley

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Your problem is your lock nut is not tightening against your slotted race cover.

Its actually causing the slotted race cover to turn along with the lock nut so its tightening everything up.

When you tighten the lock nut, use a slotted screwdriver to brace the slotted race cover so that it wont tighten any further while the lock nut is tightening against the slotted race cover.

The force of the lock nut and slotted race cover when they are tightened up against themselves will prevent them from coming loose and from them both turning and tightening the crank and making the movement shabby.

So you are effectively tightening the slot race cover to the lock nut.

Take your crank out and try it.    They will both be fixed in that position.  They wont come loose.  They wont turn both turn and tighten the crank or loosen the crank.

:daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Your problem is your lock nut is not tightening against your slotted race cover.

Its actually causing the slotted race cover to turn along with the lock nut so its tightening everything up.

When you tighten the lock nut, use a slotted screwdriver to brace the slotted race cover so that it wont tighten any further while the lock nut is tightening against the slotted race cover.

The force of the lock nut and slotted race cover when they are tightened up against themselves will prevent them from coming loose and from them both turning and tightening the crank and making the movement shabby.

So you are effectively tightening the slot race cover to the lock nut.

Take your crank out and try it.    They will both be fixed in that position.  They wont come loose.  They wont turn both turn and tighten the crank or loosen the crank.

:daumenhoch:

Good call, another tip is to gently tap the slotted race back against the lock nut  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

moley

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 03:47 PM »
Good call, another tip is to gently tap the slotted race back against the lock nut  :daumenhoch:

Its the friction between the Slotted race and the lock nut which lock them firmly into place!!  ;)

Longun

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 05:17 PM »
bin the one piece and stick some decent cranks on it.  :P

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stupid advice please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx