gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help with putting wheel back together
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help with putting wheel back together  (Read 822 times)

Linus27

Help with putting wheel back together
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I took my rear wheel apart the other day to grease all the bearings up. So far this went ok. However, I am having real trouble putting the nuts etc back onto the spindle. I put the cone nut on and do it finger tight. Then I put the washer on and then the secondary nut. Whenever I do the secondary nut up the spindle just locks and can't spin. I must be doing somwething wrong. How tight should the cone nut and secondary nut be tightened?

Any tips and advice really appreciated.

jackel

Re: Help with putting wheel back together
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:00 PM »
there should be grooves in the cone to fit a thin spanner in then tighten secondary nut up to the cone nut using another spanner.
didnt think the was a washer in between though

Linus27

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 09:04 PM »
there should be grooves in the cone to fit a thin spanner in then tighten secondary nut up to the cone nut using another spanner.
didnt think the was a washer in between though

Yeah thats what I am doing but how tight do you tighten the cone nut and the secondary nut because as soon as I tighten them the spindle locks.

JT71

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 09:04 PM »
no washer

two cone spanners

hold cone in place then tighten other thin nut to it.

jobs a good un.

Linus27

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 09:14 PM »
no washer

two cone spanners

jobs a good un.

How do you hold the cone nut in place when the freewheel is in the way? How tight do you do the cone nut up?

jackel

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 09:24 PM »
no washer

two cone spanners

jobs a good un.

How do you hold the cone nut in place when the freewheel is in the way? How tight do you do the cone nut up?
you get the axle lined up to centre.take the nusts off the none freewheel side then you,ll have room on the freewheel side to lock nuts in place.
then put cone and lock nut back on other side tighten the so there tightish and wheel spins freely but no play from side to side then lock the lock nut and cone nut together on that side :daumenhoch:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Hi, I took so long writing this someone else best me to it !
If it will fit turn the axle round so the cone and nut that is already tightened goes in the freewheel side, then tighten up the side you can get at.

Has the washer on there got any flats on the inside to match the axle ? Just wondered if it was a locking washer like you have on old headsets. If it is then you do need to fit it between the locknut and the cone.
The rest is as the others have described.
What I used to do was fit the axle with the locked cone and nut on the freewheel side, then fit the other side. Tighten the cone up finger tight and then fit the locknut. You need to hold the cone and the locknut with spanners and tighten the locknut against the cone. This normally makes the hub a little loose as the axle twists a bit as you tighten the locknut. What I do then is losen it off again, re-tighten the cone finger tight and tighten slightly more with a spanner (only a bit though or you might damage the bearings) and then re-tighten the locknut. You might need to do this a few times until its right.

The only thing I can think could be a problem is that on a bike I used to have you couildn't get the cone out of the hub with the freewheel on but I don't think yous is like that.

Linus27

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 10:04 PM »
Thanks guys, thats all making sense, especially doing the side up that goes in the freewheel first and then putting it in or turn the axle round as Steve says. Only problem I have found is I noticed one of the small ball bearings is missing so I will get some more tomorrow and give it another go.

Thanks for all your help. I'll shout again if I still struggle :)

JT71

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:14 AM »
ps: I talk a good job but rather than do this I just re-built my wheels with new hubs cos the axle work seemed too hard for me. lol.

but the principle is sound.

:daumenhoch:

Linus27

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Just want to say a big thanks to all those who have helped with my wheel problem. It looks as though I have managed to fix it and put it all back together with your helps so thanks very much  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

bensherman

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 08:01 PM »
You're not mechanically minded are you  :uglystupid2:

Linus27

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 08:08 PM »
You're not mechanically minded are you  :uglystupid2:

No, more of a white soft squidgy stuff that lets me down from time to time  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help with putting wheel back together

gfxgfx
gfx gfx