gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting ball race cups?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fitting ball race cups?  (Read 501 times)

beaglepopper

Fitting ball race cups?
« on: September 17, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Is there a trick to the trade? or am i better off going to my local bike shop to press them in?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:16 AM by beaglepopper »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Fitting ball race cups?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:30 AM »
If only one set LBS, if you've a few to do buy yourself a bearing press or make one up using a long and wide diameter nut and bolt (c. 7 inches long) and a few very large washers  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

toys19

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:34 AM »
When I was a teenager I used to mack these in using a hammer and a bit of hardwood, never had any problems. Nowadays I use a home made press as per MartyC's recommendation. You can get all you need from B&Q, I use 2 wide flat plates,(which were some cheap angle brackets from b&q) then you can do BB races too. total cost about a fiver.

beaglepopper

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:51 PM »
I went to my local bike shop and they had never come across a bike with push in cups!!! They are supposed to be the best bike mechanics around my area! My neighbour made me a homemade press at work and they went in a treat  :)

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Large hammer and piece of wood - just done a BB and headset about 30 mins ago with no problem  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting ball race cups?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx