gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 10:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  FORGET OXALIC ACID......IVE GOT A BETTER ONE FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: FORGET OXALIC ACID......IVE GOT A BETTER ONE FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4943 times)

munners

Ive run out of oxalic acid and i had pair of forks that i needed to run through the process. My Mrs told me to try HP BROWN SAUCE.

I put it all over the rusty area and left over night.

Just came downstairs and run the unsharp edge of a knife over the area and it came off like butter from a knife. Just came off and it was as rusty as fook!

Give it ago. A much cheaper, quicker and easier way in my opinion and i love a bit of acid! >:D..................................and brown sause! :LolLolLolLol:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: FORGET OXALIC ACID......IVE GOT A BETTER ONE FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:43 AM »
ketchup does the same thing as its the vinegar in it

davevilla

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:18 PM »
I wonder if it's just HP that does the job? I've been boycotting it since they stopped making it in Aston - I might have to review my stance...

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Vinegar, is cheaper than brown sauce  and it's the vinegar that does the stripping of the rust.  ;)

daz bmx it!

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 10:06 PM »
What about Jam? ???

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 12:49 PM »
so oxalic acid works. acetic acid works, does carbonic acid work? what about weak sulphuric or hydrochloric acid? maybe lactic acid? acid house? the wife's acid tongue? d-lysergic acid diethylamide? malic acid? fumeric acid?  i think it's time for some tests.
oxalic acid is expensive and not on the shelf at B&Q. I am going to begin the experiment later with acetic acid(vinegar) and muriatic/hydrochloric acid(b&q brick acid which i happen to have a 5ltr thing of) to see what happens to a random piece of rusty steel i just happen to have. :)

i will post results when i have some. :LolLolLolLol:
please don't run off and put your 401's in brick acid.
ding dong

baldbmxer

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I prefer salad cream  :daumenhoch: especaily with digestive biscuits and rusty bars  :smitten:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:08 PM »
just had a quick go with brick acid and a small paint brush. seems to work fine. will try a soak next weekend. it's nasty stuff though, burns and stinks.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  FORGET OXALIC ACID......IVE GOT A BETTER ONE FOR YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx