gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 07:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Most Amazing Memories/Influences
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Most Amazing Memories/Influences  (Read 7656 times)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Most Amazing Memories/Influences
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 11:42 PM »
Seeing Bob Haro ride at the NEC in 83, with a coaster, and realising what freestyle was all about  :daumenhoch:

Going on the Skyway European tour in 83 with Andy Patterson, Bob Medano, Chris Young, Dean Scott-Webb and Jason Maloney, in fact that made my whole career  :daumenhoch:

Riding with and competeing against Eddie Fiola and Mike Domingez, and riding with the Curb Dogs in 84  :daumenhoch:

Competing with my son in the same comp at the Masters in Germany, and getting joint 6th with him  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh and winning the British Championships at Old School this year  :LolLolLolLol:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

bmxer4ever

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 11:49 PM »
Seeing Bob Haro ride at the NEC in 83, with a coaster, and realising what freestyle was all about  :daumenhoch:

Going on the Skyway European tour in 83 with Andy Patterson, Bob Medano, Chris Young, Dean Scott-Webb and Jason Maloney, in fact that made my whole career  :daumenhoch:

Riding with and competeing against Eddie Fiola and Mike Domingez, and riding with the Curb Dogs in 84  :daumenhoch:

Competing with my son in the same comp at the Masters in Germany, and getting joint 6th with him  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh and winning the British Championships at Old School this year  :LolLolLolLol:

That's some pretty cool memories there Bill.....   :daumenhoch:

welsh denny

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 12:17 AM »
there's been so many great memories from the last 25 years it would be impoosible to list em. glad i had my camcorders to preserve alot of stuff but there was plenty
of things not captured but are instilled in my memory.
same prob goes for us all. for every riding scene there would be defining moments.
seen many friends come and go thru the years . 2 passed away( marc reardon, paul kimpton) good times , bad times but the most amazing thing is i love it as much as i did 25 years ago.

:daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 12:25 AM »
My favorite memories of old seem to have been overshadowed by those of more recent times, 03-06 riding with the Dartford posse. Good times   :daumenhoch:

macky

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 01:14 AM »

Seeing Hoffman ride at Mansfeild too.... Incredible!!

changed my view on riding completely.......

I found me ticket in an old shoe box tonight...

shook his hand, got his autograph... good times!!

Jamie C

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Todd Anderson's Freestylin' pic at Camarillo quarter. Was 11 feet out, upside down, and 75% x-ed up. If someone could post that I would be eternally grateful!!! :D

markatkins

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Holy shit!!That photo of Todd Anderson is amazing!Todd was one of the legends,the way he rode was unreal.Again,if he was around now........?

rory

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 10:30 AM »
jason ellis -nosepick drop-in into the pool at rom.     riding rom with ryan evans,jerry,zak etc early 90's.   hoffman-mansfield,k.o.v.

i remember that ellis drop in , that was cool , that was an amazing day at rom

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 05:18 PM »
Holy shit!!That photo of Todd Anderson is amazing!Todd was one of the legends,the way he rode was unreal.Again,if he was around now........?

He is Mark...he's riding again dude.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 06:00 PM »
i suppose for me my greatest memories was being there at the evolution of bmx in the

uk, being one of the first to ride rom skatepark on a bike, one of the first to air the performance,

the list goes on,  i wasn't around in the middle and i certainly wont be around at the end but only a few

can say they was there when it started :)
For powder coating drop me a pm

DJ

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 07:08 PM »
 :'(

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 07:53 PM »
i think that last bit i wrote about not being around at the end reads wrong ;D

what i meant was that after 30 years the sport is really heading to the top so in

another 30 years i'll be six feet under and it will be a national sport, trust me on that ;)
For powder coating drop me a pm

BLUEMONDAY

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 05:48 PM »
For me it's got to be a UKBFA national at Carlisle in 86.

Firstly.......crazy eric "attempting" a 540 across the canyon, which he obviously wasn't going to make, and breaking the Quarterpipe in the process.

memorable for the comedy value, plus it was the first 540 attempt I'd ever seen...never mind the fact it was across the canyon too!!!! (I also heard it was Carlo's QP he broke?? Can anyone confirm??)

Second was seeing Neil Ruffell air overflat,  right over the balcony (9ft +) and blow the pro-class apart with his height and variations. He was absolutely awesome that day.

Somehow he managed to finish third behind Pepi and Craig C which drew boo's from the whole crowd (even from the locals who wanted pepi to win!!)

Could never understand that result!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:50 PM by BLUEMONDAY »

welsh denny

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2008, 08:47 PM »
cardiff ramp room has some amazing memories. from getting banned by andy reardon for refusing to pick up a tramps turd from under the quarter to watching top pro's from around the

uk riding on my home turf. :daumenhoch:

lee reynolds, greg guillotte, andy brown (semi regular) aju bubu, mike canning, crazy eric, graham marfleet and many more passed thru those doors.

here's a pic of marc reardon on the right, and i think andy brown on the left. synchro airs.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 09:13 PM »

Firstly.......crazy eric "attempting" a 540 across the canyon, which he obviously wasn't going to make, and breaking the Quarterpipe in the process.

memorable for the comedy value, plus it was the first 540 attempt I'd ever seen...never mind the fact it was across the canyon too!!!! (I also heard it was Carlo's QP he broke?? Can anyone confirm??)

Second was seeing Neil Ruffell air overflat,  right over the balcony (9ft +) and blow the pro-class apart with his height and variations. He was absolutely awesome that day.

Somehow he managed to finish third behind Pepi and Craig C which drew boo's from the whole crowd (even from the locals who wanted pepi to win!!)

Yeah - I was riding Masterclass that day - couldn't understand the judging either...

nomad

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 10:48 PM »
Riding at Stevenage and seeing Ollie Matthews ride for the first time, blow away, he was the first really high level person I ever saw ride.

Watching Jerry Galley ride at Leigh on Sea, and witnessing his welded up seatclamp as he kept smashing them. Also seeing Stuart King ride too. They shut the place down as said earlier in the thread.

Riding the really grim old ramp on Canvey Island.

Smashing my face up at Stevenage :(

welsh denny

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 11:22 PM »

nomad

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 04:46 PM »
somehow forgot to put my best memory. went to Koln with my mum, knew about the skatepark, and took my bike on a rack on the back of mums car. Ended up riding Koln briefly and going to Muchen Gladbach with the guys from Busy Ps in Koln. Some of the guys went on to become We The People. So so cool, and a memory that makes me smile even as \I type this!

Lee Reynolds

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01 AM »
That picture of Todd Anderson is insane!
I rode with him pretty recently.
Yes, Greg I do remember Marfleet's insane bomb drop off the balcony!
Awesome rider, awesome guy.
Graham are you out there? I'd love to get back in touch.
That indian air is nuts Greg!
So many amazing memories; Mon's Ramp Jam, Holeshot, BMX Beat!
Neil Ruffel, Pepi Winder, Scott Carol, Marc Reardon, Mike Canning, Craig Campbell, Stephen Laidlaw, Dave Young, Carlo Griggs, Eric Steele, Billy Stupple, Jess Dyrenforth, Terry Jenkins, Greg Guillotte, Jason Hassell, Simon Tabron, Jason Ellis, John Povah...
Getting to ride on the 1989 Haro summer tour... an amazing time in my life!
I've got some pics here:
http://www.myspace.com/reynolds1970

lodge

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2008, 09:12 AM »

I know the bfa judging could be dodgy but Neil (who was my fave rider of that era) did bail on two of his airs and never finished his run that day, i remember it well as i watched Neils run 100's of times as i had it on VHS. His first air was huge but he under rotated it and was thrown from his bike when he landed, his second air was a huge one footed invert, and his third was a one hand one foot which he bailed and slid along the floor.
If you seen his run at the previous national at Killingworth Neil's run was flawless and he took the win by a huge margin.
In those days flat and ramp runs were combined so you could win your ramp run but still not place overall.

teamsano

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2008, 08:33 PM »
seeing scott timmins stick the head on ian morris and break his nose, setting fire to jimmy levan's hair, staying at the pow house, being allowed by my folks to travel the length of the uk with strangers in the back of vans, representing SCOTLAND at the 1990 ibmxf world champs in france, BsD parts, the chasm, the frog, charlie reynolds, jim dirt, all the backyard jams, the gary forsyth KOC trip, riding livi when its -2 deg, hanging out with the boys, TEAM SANO, seeing hoffman ride the giant qrtr in OKC, seeing my own frame get built at s+m, getting mad wi it, wow.

DJ

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 09:15 PM »
watching as Ross Sewage jabbed a finger up Mr Pants arse while Mr Pants drank half a pint of Ross' pish.... not sure if thats a memory OR an influence?  :LolLolLolLol:

Jesse

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2008, 12:08 AM »
Going to the m:zone jam in Croydon... nothing but riders and skaters, plus most of the BMX Action Bike/RAD crew. Rode Nick Philips kermit-green Performer for a bit (hey, I was 14 or so and that bike was famous!). Met so many cool people that day, had a blast, got bruises from the sticker toss and learnt some new tricks.

Lee Reynolds

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2008, 04:17 PM »
Also, I have to agree with Denny... Marc Reardon was very special!
I had an amazing time riding with you guys in Cardiff.

teamsano

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2008, 04:08 PM »
watching as Ross Sewage jabbed a finger up Mr Pants arse while Mr Pants drank half a pint of Ross' pish.... not sure if thats a memory OR an influence?  :LolLolLolLol:

forgot to add  'watched john pratt's home videos'   :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Most Amazing Memories/Influences

gfxgfx
gfx gfx