gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 04:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Definitely not a Dirt Bike! Homeless Mack gen 1
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Definitely not a Dirt Bike! Homeless Mack gen 1  (Read 2849 times)

woody allen bars

Definitely not a Dirt Bike! Homeless Mack gen 1
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:24 AM »
I finally got round to taking a few pics of my '93 Homeless Mack when I was last back in Cornwall and thought you might like to see it. Our man Mr Leech found the frameset for me after I mentioned I was looking for one about 18 months ago; it had been bought by his buddy Sunil back in '93 and I got it from him.

This is one of the James Shepherd models, but a second generation version with the bigger rear tubes - Homeless went to 3/4" stays before S&M. Obviously it was made in the same factory as S&M's frames of the time (B&E I believe), but there are clear differences between this and the Dirt Bike (we put this frame alongside a Dirt Bike at the Oxford S&M Museum just to compare). The bottom bracket is plain gauge not milled, there's a coaster brake anchor, and a flat plate on the chainstays instead of the tube used on S&Ms of this period. The fork is totally unlike an S&M but not dissimilar to the early Hoffman fork. Most of the parts are NOS save for the HP48 wheels, my original 175mm full wrap flights (rechromed) and the Fusion disc. The frame has polished up pretty well but the headtube sticker is missing and the rest of the decals are fairly scratched up. If anyone knows of any spare Homeless decals let me know  :daumenhoch:

Craig

SaMAlex

Re: Definitely not a Dirt Bike! Homeless Mack gen 1
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:34 AM »
Good job Craig, glad you got it finished and it came out so nice.

Seeing those frames always makes me think of when James Shepard was at KOC in 92. He was rippin up the mini so much, I went straight home and tried to learn many of his tricks. I also remember the hard time he and Chase got from the scotish boys. Totally classic; "Hi Rubin, hows it goin?"

Seein THAT frame first makes me think of the contest at Nottingham where Sunil collected it from Stu Dorkin. That was a great weekend. Then it makes me think of all the sessions seeing Sunil riding it. Good times! (Im hopefully going riding with Sunil this week, so long may they continue).

« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:45 AM by S&MAlex »

firebird4130

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:10 AM »
That's a beauty, I remember seeing them set up just like that in the 90's, stuart d used to ride one too I think

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:44 AM »
that is cool, really like it dude, nice one :daumenhoch:

sunil

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18 AM »
Hey Craig the bike looks great! The purchase of that beauty was fuelled on the sublime Monsters of Suburban Highlife, check it out....it inspired me to tank around radlands in big pimps coat with furry collars wearing an afro wig. I hope it has a similar effect on you.  ;)

peace

S

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Oxford S&M Museum]
funny

Hey Phil, dont knock it!
W.A.B aint jokin

(hows this for taking over a Homeless thread with pics of S&Ms?  ;D)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 10:47 AM »
well i think if anyone new came into the midschool of late they'd think the only company that was around in the 90's was S&M

probably because they was such cheap they're two a penny! >:D

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:49 AM »
well i think if anyone new came into the midschool of late they'd think the only company that was around in the 90's was S&M

They were, werent they?  ;)

Actually phil, look hard at the photo of my shed. There is a 1" Standard in there  ::)

(which isnt mine .... and is for sale too but I cant give it away!)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:00 AM by S&MAlex »

Matt S.

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 12:10 PM »
A total beauty, Craig. So clean looking. Such a classic "mid school" example.

Well done!

-Matt

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 12:21 PM »
Oxford S&M Museum]
funny

Hey Phil, dont knock it!
W.A.B aint jokin

(hows this for taking over a Homeless thread with pics of S&Ms?  ;D)

o/t, Alex is that an s&m menstrual cycle bottom left......very nice!

That Mack is cool :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

woody allen bars

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Hey Craig the bike looks great! The purchase of that beauty was fuelled on the sublime Monsters of Suburban Highlife, check it out....it inspired me to tank around radlands in big pimps coat with furry collars wearing an afro wig. I hope it has a similar effect on you.  ;)

peace

S

Hey guys, thanks for all the positive comments, it really makes my day! Especially cool to hear from Sunil, glad you like it buddy  8) 

I had Monsters on a poor quality DVD ripped from the original tape, lent it to Alex and he's still got it. Check out my Homeless clips on youtube, all taken from Trash.

Stu Dawkins had one of the first Macks in the UK, I got mine about the same time on trip to the US, we dropped in at Backyard on the way home from that trip and he said that he'd already bent the forks! I thrashed my Mack for six months and it held up okay but eventually started to crack at the head gussets and behind the seat tube junction (mine had the 5/8" rear stays). Back in the early nineties it seemed like it was only a matter of time before any frame broke, and considering that Homeless frames were never sold in any huge numbers I'm pleased to have found the ones I've got now.

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 12:25 PM »
o/t, Alex is that an s&m menstrual cycle bottom left......very nice!

Yes mate. You should find an example of every 1" S&M in there .... apart from maybe a K9 D-Zine, and a few others.
Those bottom 3 are the last ones I need to build.

Sorry W.A.B. for the thread hyjack. I said I wouldnt delete a thread about Homeless, I didnt say I wouldnt try to take it over with S&Ms  >:D

subversion

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Cor I've not seen that for a while! it looks well bling there Mr wab :4_17_5: I think I originally built that up for Sunil bitd & remember his reaction at Notts wheels park(?) when Stu revealed it from the back of his van:

Sunil = :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Those were the days!

Bonus trivia: did those pegs come as part of the deal? If so I think they originally belonged to one Mr Chad Degroot :daumenhoch:

woody allen bars

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 12:40 PM »

Bonus trivia: did those pegs come as part of the deal? If so I think they originally belonged to one Mr Chad Degroot :daumenhoch:

I only got the frame and the fork, Alex nabbed the Elf Zipback seatpost and I don't know what became of the rest.

The pegs were made by Harvey Ransom in '93, he used to weld 'em up in his dinner hour at work, I even used 'em on my T1 for a while

Craig

subversion

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 12:46 PM »
well he must still be hoarding those then :LolLolLolLol:

sunil

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 01:38 PM »
nah, the pegs are still at home on the STA, and I bought them off joe rich at southsea in '93 (or '94)....shit joe rich, what a legend !!

SaMAlex

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 01:40 PM »
nah, the pegs are still at home on the STA, and I bought them off joe rich at southsea in '93 (or '94)....shit joe rich, what a legend !!

In that case, they are at my house  >:D

I will make sure they get taken off the STA and kept safe for you Sunil. Cant have them going missing when the STA goes  :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 01:49 PM »
wicked bike love it.

It's not all S&Ms in the midschool section you know.  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Alex how can you say "my bikes in bits" when referring to tomorrow nights sesh when you have all those bikes to ride?

SaMAlex

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Alex how can you say "my bikes in bits" when referring to tomorrow nights sesh when you have all those bikes to ride?

Cos apart from the HAF (top right) they are all race/trails bikes. Not really fit for a Corby session.

JT71

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 02:05 PM »

Cos apart from the HAF (top right) they are all race/trails bikes. Not really fit for a Corby session.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

i was only kidding dude.

now, where's me white half way up my calves socks?

subversion

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 02:07 PM »

I suspected I'd got it wrong somewhere down the line, appologies for my swiss-cheese memory :crazy2:

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 02:35 PM »
cool i havent seen a homeless since dj's was stolen at koc 94 i think :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2:, nice build :daumenhoch:

woody allen bars

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 09:48 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Definitely not a Dirt Bike! Homeless Mack gen 1

gfxgfx
gfx gfx