gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 06:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  FASTLANE BMX THE MAG!! THE HOPES AND DREAMS ISSUE...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: FASTLANE BMX THE MAG!! THE HOPES AND DREAMS ISSUE...  (Read 3579 times)

fastlane

FASTLANE BMX THE MAG!! THE HOPES AND DREAMS ISSUE...
« on: August 29, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Ok after a lot of thought we want to do this... Do you!!

Can we make it happen and could it happen... Answers on a postcard or here info@fastlanephotography.co.uk

Please note this is a quick mock up cover.. how sad am I.. don't answer that... But I do have a dream!!   :crazy2:  :2funny:

Many thanks

Dave

mr.magoo

Re: FASTLANE BMX THE MAG!! THE HOPES AND DREAMS ISSUE...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Thats brilliant, alot of the 80's boom came from kids seeing Action bike and bi-weekly on the shelves in their local newsagents,
nowadays its just MTB and ride. My feeling is that yes i would deffo subscribe, but keep the covers hard and with impact, to show the youth of today that BMx is as much for them as anyone else (MTB always makes it look an adult sport from the covers), mind it looks like im trying to teach you to suck eggs......good work, if commercially viable go with it, that dream WILL be fulfilled, and now is probably the best time to do it...or 2012.

Well done :smitten:

BMXpert

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:19 PM »
I reckon: 6 issues a year, £3.50-£4 a mag.....................?
Rad as fook !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Wow, This Is Quality. Lets Be Honest There Hasnt Been A Really Good Racing Mag Since The 80's (I Think...?). This Will Be Very Cool If It Actually Happens And I Will Defo Subscribe To a Yearly Payment If It Comes Out  ;) ;) ;) ;)

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:27 PM »
 :) No reason why it wouldn`t work.If it makes it to print,I`m sure I`d buy it. :4_17_5:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:33 PM »
I`d buy it too, and perhaps advertise in it !!
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 08:21 AM »
I've always considered that there was scope for something like this and can never believe the sort of mags. that adorn the local papershop - who buys some of those titles!!  Ideally you would need to hook up with a distributor so it gets into WH Smith's etc. for maximum sales.  BMX is colourful and full of action and will sell to those who appear in it, or those who want to keep abreast of what's happening, locally as well as nationally.  For that you'll need some input from the Regions which should be forthcoming but will need some edges smoothed off the texts if what we see on the Forums is anything to go by.  Photos from other lenses would be necessary in my opinion but most would be happy to have their name accredited to the pic and I doubt many would seek payment, so you're onto a winner there!!

I subscribe to a Short Circuit motorsport mag. that is distributed by post and sold at venues around the country but these days I rarely get along to meetings so it gives me an insight into what's happening around and about.  It's a fullsize magazine with a good mix of articles and pics, including readers' own pics of their latest builds - that adds bulk to the mag. with minimal cost.  It's colourful and interesting but isn't available off the shelf in newsagents; why, I don't know. 

Your dream could be a reality and I wish you every success.  My personal opinion about the current mags available, and those that went before them, which cover BMX in general is they too often resort to gutter-language which isn't necessary in a publication aimed at all ages.  And far too often the pictures show riders displaying no regard for public property and their personal safety which sends out all the wrong messages.  Keep it clean, keep it PC and good luck.  Just my two pennorth. 

Will I subscribe??  Of course.  Will I contribute articles??  Try and stop me!!  Will you want them??  I doubt it!!   ;D
Humps

ZippyDixon

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Great idea,love it,like jools said 6 issues a year to start would be more realistic,then if you feel the need to chuck anything in between you can just call a summer or winter special,might be an idea to see what kind of features people are looking to see too....
Race reviews
Rider profiles
Race calendars
Regional meets
Classified section
Club directory
and so much more!!!
    I got cash waiting for my sub  :daumenhoch:

Twinkle

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:01 AM »
This is a superb idea ..... we bought Nicholas the american bmx magazine that mark from groove has imported and is selling for £4.99, so many people have been drooling over Nicks copy so I am positive there would be a market for your magazine here.  If you couldnt get the newsagents to sell it how about doing a smaller run of it initially and approach groove and other bike shops to sell it, also I'm sure most clubs would be willing to sell it at registration  :4_17_5:

Sharon xx

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 09:57 AM »
get some pictures of riders doing big rooster tails ala BMXA  :4_17_5:

:) DINGO :)

tobybrown35

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 10:25 AM »
    this needs 2 happen would be so so rad 2 have a magazine with a scope on the origianal aspects of bmx and not street street street

fastlane

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 10:37 AM »
Wow this is great...thank you all!!

some brilliant replys and please please keep then coming,

it seems we are all thinking along the same tracks..

A Bi monthly is the way to go to start with for sure ( I like the idea of the odd summer/winter issue if need be as well)

last night we sent out an email to over 70 bmx related companys with more to go..

We will keep you all posted on that and if any one would like a copy of that letter please contact me via  dave@fastlanebmx.com

Also the offers of help with reports, tests, reviews  etc would be gratefully recieved.. someones got to test the shiny new bikes   >:D

Anyway thanks so much for the surport and idea's it 's most inspiring..

Off to ride the bike now for insperation and then going to ring smiths etc

back soon

Dave Lane

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 10:40 AM »
great idea, hope that it comes off. i will be getting it if it does  :daumenhoch:

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Excellent idea.  you will get my full support :)
Neil

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 11:25 AM »
a mag would be awsome, particularly with quality images ala fastlane. Making it comercially viable within the small niche of BMX racing may be hard. I you opened out into other forms of racing ie 4X, Dh would broaden its appeal. Curerent mags in this genre dont adequatly cover rscing and are more contrived photo shoot and lifestyle orientated. Combining these sports in a mag may brakdown some prejudices also.

even looks like bmx

dialledbikes

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 11:37 AM »
I'm a sucker for a good mag.  And would also probably advertise/contribute product for review and comps.

I think it would need to cover more than just racing to survive though as the market for a BMX race mag is quite small.  Take a look at Snap and Transworld BMX if you can get your hands on some copies.  They were both race only mags and Snap was arguably the best BMX mag ever in terms of content/quality.

Wideopen Mag is also a great online mag.  If they could put that into print, it would be very popular and they are looking for someone to cover BMX races for them.

http://fattyre.co.uk/Wideopenmag_Issue_7.pdf

fastlane

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Hay Mike I know James and the wide open crew very well..

And I agree if their mag was in print it would kick arse..

But I'm feeling something with bmx racing being the main priority..

Of course we will lend to other disciplines .. We all do!!

I live in Winchester  and am very good friends with the trail riders at bar end

I know the guys their want to contribute with trails stuff ( Am of down their in a mo to ride and shoot.... :) )

And these guys are good!

Also I  know my salts when it comes to 4 x ...

So a bit of this and a bit of that..

Here's a couple of 4x shots I've dug out, I took these a wee while back at a world cup in Vigo ......

BMX ROCKS!!!

Start gate in Vigo..

Attacking the first corner in practise

An open shot on race day

Mr Lopes being Mr Lopes..

Prokop  with huge pinned eyes..

A bit of a tangle..

On it!!

Prokop again!!

The track ahead..

Bye for now

Dave

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 02:58 PM by fastlane »

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Quality photos :daumenhoch:

I'd buy a race mag, it's a great idea, 6 mags over 12 month with...     end of Summer/Winter series specials?
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Quality 4x pics. the last one is will evans waving goodbye. Will rode his first BMX Brits last last week in 19 plus on a borrowed Dialled mx20 and made the semis i think.

MORRIS

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 08:51 PM »
yeah ... look's sooo good...go for it, racing.... it's about time we had some quality race coverage....... I would subscribe... and help out with SW coverage if required.....

dialledbikes

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Your photos are top quality, so that's half the job done.  So cram it with as many quality photos as possible, have some regular features like bike tests, rider interviews, spot checks (i.e. local riding spots), training advice/riding tips and I'm sure there'll be some take up.

Good luck.

fastlane

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Thank you all so much for the very encouraging words,

We have had some right results in reply to our email we sent out..

At the moment we are waiting on quotes from the printers..

If anyone on here also has knowledge of this industry

and can help please don't hesite to contact me

Thanks again

dave@fastlanebmx.com

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Great idea!  :daumenhoch:

I'd definitely subscribe  :)

matk

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Free dice caps with issue one!  8)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 03:11 PM »
then a free spoke, then another then another .............................etc "collect and build your own beautiful bmx, first issue 99p all subsequent issues £39.99" :LolLolLolLol:

joking apart, id subscribe :daumenhoch: good luck with it :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:13 PM by OrgasmDonor »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  FASTLANE BMX THE MAG!! THE HOPES AND DREAMS ISSUE...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx