gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 09:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ramps
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ramps  (Read 1014 times)

spesh

ramps
« on: August 28, 2008, 06:38 PM »
just won these ramps for my nipper(ok im might have a go on them aswell :LolLolLolLol:)
just hope the gardens big enough!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300252734525&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: ramps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:24 PM »
you know!  i was just thinking today that i could do with a trick ramp or sumat, they would be perfect. who makes these?
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

spesh

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 08:05 PM »
dont know who makes them but ive been looking for ages and this is the only set to come up thats local to me (hants)
i couldnt even find any shops selling them :wtf:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:29 PM »
i know it cant be hard making them, but would be better if they came flat packed and ready to screw together... :daumenhoch:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:46 PM »
dont know who makes them but ive been looking for ages and this is the only set to come up thats local to me (hants)
i couldnt even find any shops selling them :wtf:

There was a corking home made one for sale a while back that was collect from Fareham, slightly too big for a young kiddy though but looked real good.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:28 PM »
I can help you with any backyard ramp setup.  Name a budget and measure up the available space and I can build you something tasty   :)

JT71

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:03 AM »
i'M going to be putting a raised deck in my garden soon.

wondering if I can make pull out ramp that turns around and puishes up to the deck.

i must add i've not mentioned this to the wife yet.

2020mad

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 09:08 AM »
i'M going to be putting a raised deck in my garden soon.

wondering if I can make pull out ramp that turns around and puishes up to the deck.

i must add i've not mentioned this to the wife yet.

:LolLolLolLol: good luck.

moley

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 11:44 AM »
I'm after a nice Curved Ramp that can vary in height.   It doesn't have to be high as I want it to land on the flat!!

Needs to be variable so I can start on the lowest height and build up.   Also needs to be able to fit in a boot of a car!!

I want to learn to jump and land properly.   Just a more updated version than scrap wood and some bricks.

Length of the ramp has to cover the wheelbase of a BMX so it isn't such a shock when you hit it and a smooth transition instead of a kicker at the end.

I want to get into the air as smooth as possible without giving my rickety old bones too much of a jolt!

As I will be landing on the flat I want distance instead of height.   I just want to get used to being in the air and landing.

Trouble with most BMX tracks these days is that the jumps are too steep and most are doubles with a severe lack of tabletops to practice your jumping.

If anyone can build one then LMK otherwise I'll have to have a go at building one myself!!

Which could be disaster!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Moley, with all due respect, you do not want the ramp you've just described.  It would be a masterpiece of engineering that would be crap to ride.  Far too many compromises there.

It doesn't have to be high as I want it to land on the flat!!   -   explain please?

Also needs to be able to fit in a boot of a car!!   -   bike ramps do not fit in car boots, sorry bud. 

Length of the ramp has to cover the wheelbase of a BMX   -   yip, good sense there, but see above.....

As I will be landing on the flat I want distance instead of height.   -   this is dependent on the run up available, an adjustable ramp thats nice at low level will turn into a fairly fierce kicker as you steepen it up due to the curve being fissled with as you adjust it.

One final thing.  If I were to build you a small kicker that you could actually ride, it would take two people to lift it in and out of a vehicle, they're just not that light.

If you want to learn to jump and land properly, then you really have no choice but to start regularly riding a skatepark or track or trails and get stuck in  ;)

Any space in your back garden?

bof

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:10 PM »
I'm after a nice Curved Ramp that can vary in height.   It doesn't have to be high as I want it to land on the flat!!

Needs to be variable so I can start on the lowest height and build up.   Also needs to be able to fit in a boot of a car!!

I want to learn to jump and land properly.   Just a more updated version than scrap wood and some bricks.

Length of the ramp has to cover the wheelbase of a BMX so it isn't such a shock when you hit it and a smooth transition instead of a kicker at the end.

I want to get into the air as smooth as possible without giving my rickety old bones too much of a jolt!

As I will be landing on the flat I want distance instead of height.   I just want to get used to being in the air and landing.

Trouble with most BMX tracks these days is that the jumps are too steep and most are doubles with a severe lack of tabletops to practice your jumping.

If anyone can build one then LMK otherwise I'll have to have a go at building one myself!!

Which could be disaster!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Moley try and get down to the revamped preston the last straight has been built with the novice / kids in mind it is a series of tabletops each one getting slightly bigger as they go along . the kids are lovig it even the 5 year olds are jumping them now  :)

moley

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 10:04 PM »
Thanks Bof.  I will be down next week!!!  :daumenhoch:

I will try to answer TwoBobRob questions.

I do not want a ramp that will launch me skywards.   What goes up must come down.  I will be landing on flat ground.  So something that launches me 10ft in the air is a big no no!!  I just want something to get me off the ground.  Like Spesh's skateboard ramps but longer.

My BMX fits in the boot of my car with the rear seats down and both wheels attached (whoops!  I forgot to mention I have a hatchback!!  :LolLolLolLol:)

All I am after is a ramp long enough to get both wheels on it.  No more, no less.  Once the rear wheel is on the ramp then the front is going off the ramp.

A nice gentle transition instead of a flat take off.     A slight curve is all I want. 

I already have a Wooden Cheese Wedge Ramp which people might remember that I bought earlier in the year!! :LolLolLolLol:     

It is 121cm long and 41 cm high and is of a solid wooden cheese wedge construction.  Heavy as fook!!!

The only trouble with the ramp is its not very portable.   It will fit in the back of my car (just) with the seats down but it takes up most of the space so It would be hard to fit a bike in.    I might actually reverse engineer the Cheese wedge and cut off most of the 2 sides so that I can use detachable supports!!  ;)

Basically I'm looking for a similar sized ramp with detachable legs/supports so that I can transport the ramp flat.    Different sized legs/supports so that I can vary the height a little (2  different sets of legs).   And if I'm lucky, a nice gentile transition that wont jolt my bones when I hit the ramp.  Obviously the shallow curve of the ramp would be a compromise due to the varying heights but it still should be better than hitting a flat ramp.

All I am after is an updated version of the the bricks (detachable legs/supports) and rotting piece of scrap wood (shallow curved board which is reinforced) OS BITD type ramp.

I know it sounds crazy!!  :idiot2:

And it is!  :daumenhoch:

But it could be a laugh too!!  ;D

And without laughter we'd all be sad!!!  :(     :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Blimey........

Ok, I used to make and sell tiny kicker ramps predominately for skaters to throw in their car. I could make a crude adjustable version of one of those for you.  I'd not be sure of the stability and integrity of the thing until it was built and ridden though.

It will not be light though.

moley

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:55 PM »
How much would it cost to make!!

Wood doesn't grow on trees ya know!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:08 PM »
Hehehe..... dunno right now, I'll have to do my sums.  Not particularly cheap, but will last forever.  I tend to build fat and strong  (a lot like myself - lol) hence the weight of the things.  You don't want the ramp to move as you hit it.....

I'll draw it and price it tomorrow   :)

moley

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 11:38 PM »
Post your sketch on here!!!   :daumenhoch:

And draw a stick drawing of me on a bmx going over it!!!   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 11:49 PM »
 ;D

I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.....   I'm a computer idiot   :(

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Ok, I'll have a final price tomorrow for this. How many adjustments would you like?  I'd have to say that the maximum needs to be 3, although personally I'd only have 2 positions. You really don't need to be dicking around with the ramp too much.  Your thought please  :)

jedi

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24 PM »
knowing moley it has to be surrounded by foam blocks

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 08:28 PM »
 ;D

I certainly hope so for that one time when my ramp collapses on impact.........   :LolLolLolLol:

jedi

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 08:30 PM »
i have seen him ride!!!
he cant go into a curry house without leaving without something    :) :) :)

moley

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 08:37 PM »
knowing moley it has to be surrounded by foam blocks

Well, knowing my luck with BMX related injuries, I have a come up with a cunning plan!!

I have arranged for the local street urchins to steal the plastic balls from the Ball pit at the nearest town's Two for One Meal Restaurant/Kiddies Adventure Play ground.

It should only take 8 months to collect enough balls.  

Just in time for next summer!!  ;)

i have seen him ride!!!
he cant go into a curry house without leaving without something    :) :) :)

For the record.  I never left the bike.  It left me!!

Twas probably ashamed of my riding skills!!   :-[

jedi

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 08:38 PM »
heh heh heh  :) :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ramps

gfxgfx
gfx gfx