gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 12:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  80's racers versus 2008 olympians.....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 80's racers versus 2008 olympians.....  (Read 1034 times)

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
80's racers versus 2008 olympians.....
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Here's one......

the likes of Mike Day, Maruis Strombergs etc..... versus Greg Hill, Stu Thomsen (in their prime) - who would you back ?
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

moley

Re: 80's racers versus 2008 olympians.....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:12 PM »
If Stu, Greg and the rest were growing up now then I have no doubt they could compete at that level.

The tracks/bikes and skills were different back then so you couldn't transfer them to a modern setting.

You can't compare them as they was in the 80's.   They would get theirs arses kicked!!

But get a young Greg Hill and get him racing today then I reckon he'd compete with the best.

Talent is talent!!  :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 03:12 PM »
today they are quicker and smoother but i still think that if they werent using clips yesterday half of those crashes wouldnt of happened... shinny would have been able to turn tighter in that last turn for a start!

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 03:18 PM »
yeah agree with your thinking..., I guess it's evolution too, runners get faster and faster (Better training/equipment etc)

Level playing field though....who knows ???

guess you could say it's like Borg with his style and finesse & little Wooden Rack versus the power of Fererer... Style v Power......, power wins ?

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

JT71

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 03:35 PM »
not sure many old schoolers would have been doing a 35ft gap jump (in the mens) i might be wrong though.
and they'd have had vertigo on that start ramp.

lol.

but you're right about clips, i reckon a lot of those stacks would have been saved with a foot down.

more questions:

which olympian bmxer had the smoothest style

which olympian bmxer do you wanna get hot with?

answer the same for both for me, the Kiwi Sarah Walker.

thecrooch

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 03:48 PM »
not sure many old schoolers would have been doing a 35ft gap jump (in the mens) i might be wrong though.
and they'd have had vertigo on that start ramp.

lol.

but you're right about clips, i reckon a lot of those stacks would have been saved with a foot down.

more questions:

which olympian bmxer had the smoothest style

which olympian bmxer do you wanna get hot with?

answer the same for both for me, the Kiwi Sarah Walker.

defo.... she brightned up the morning all right...wonderful smile..... shame she didnt medal - god knows how that septic did, she was bloody awful....

could you go out with a bird that was quicker than you though.....

back to the 35ft jump - great idea - but wasnt too friendly if you went off line and couldnt carry the speed, the couple of riders that ended up in the middle in the semi were buggered - couldnt get out again...  you needed an mtb to ride up that hill...

dialledbikes

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 04:42 PM »
shinny would have been able to turn tighter in that last turn for a start!

I thought that too, but didn't bother saying owt as I don't want to start another clips -v- flats war (that's so 2006!).

As for smoothest riders, they're all pretty damned smooth, you have to be at that level.  But Kyle Bennett is probably the smoothest rider on the planet (they don't call him Butter Bennett for nothing) but he just didn't get the chance to shine at the Games.  Apparently, he doesn't like the big start hill, but he wins plenty of AA races in the US.

I would've preferred to see Mike Day win than Strombergs.  No real reason why, I just think Day has more style and his uniform looked much more pro than those shorts and shinpads Strombergs had on.  It's fine for me to wear shorts and pads at a South Regional, but not for someone at the Olympic Games!

thecrooch

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 04:48 PM »
The 'Haro by Nike' Racepants were well cool...  Loved all the lids too - Shinny's 'Steve Peat' TLD was cool, but Mike Days American Flag was fantastic!

Mike i know what you mean about the clips v flats....  just bought a new Hutch T-Shirt (yes new) with a bear trap on one side and 'Clips Suck' ont' other..  am looking forward to the southern Champs as well - looking forward to seeing how the Elite crew get on with flats....

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 07:27 PM »
I thought Sarah Walkers style was very good, she was so smooth and I loved the way she used the bike in the air with a minimum of fuss.

Then I saw how pretty she was and that was the icing on the cake.  :LolLolLolLol:

I thought Stomberg deserved the Gold to be honest, there was a lot less cock-a-doodle-doiness from him than from Mike Day.

I did love the US teams Haro-esque race pants though. Now where can I buy a set?

Have to say I didn't like Shanaze's helmet I thought it was really boring. I did really like the US girls helmet and ACC's helmet was awesome.

spillers#1

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 07:39 PM »
How hot is sarah walker  :smitten: yes please  :-*

dialledbikes

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 09:16 PM »
All the Nike BMX kits looked rad.  I really like the Japan uniform.

I hope Nike issue some BMX kit to the general public as I would buy some to match my Nike 6.0 BMX shoes.

thecrooch

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:20 PM »
I would buy some to match my Nike 6.0 BMX shoes.

so mike are they any good?

dialledbikes

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:22 AM »
I haven't raced in my 6.0s yet as they're too box fresh to mess up, but I did ride my bike around the street a bit with them on and the contact with the pedals (Wellgo platforms) felt really good and grippy.  The sole is harder than Vans old school waffle sole, but feels more positive.

I would add though that Nike make 3 different 6.0 soles.  I got the ones with this kind of sole:

The other style of sole looks like this:

and one with a circular like pattern.  I don't know how these other 2 styles of sole work with pedals, just the first one.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  80's racers versus 2008 olympians.....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx