gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 06:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX Racing is Dumbing down and chaving up the Olympics - Really?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Racing is Dumbing down and chaving up the Olympics - Really?  (Read 1630 times)

Rooonga

Hi Guys,

I am a member of a swimming forum, and was shocked to see that someone actually feels this way!

Find the thread HERE

Dunno if you can reply without being signed up, but thought we could have a right laugh with this!

Here is th original post:

Quote from: LAZy;144778
Because along with skateboarding, hanging around street corners and underage drinking... most should out grow the 'phenonema'.

It dumbs down the concept of Olypmic sport and chavs it.

Quite a way through - cos the thread starts off about beach volley ball, and then moves on.

LMK what you think, or better still let LAZy know LOL!

Longun

Re: BMX Racing is Dumbing down and chaving up the Olympics - Really?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:42 AM »
Swimming forum? Maybe you should voice your opinion on the poncing about that is synchronised flapping about.

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49 AM »
frankly who cares what they think

all sports at the top level require loads of effort, time, dedication etc

let them stew in their own ignorance  ;)
narrow minded fools  :idiot2:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:19 PM »
the start of this week i told a few people to watch the bmxing, most replies where bmxing shouldnt be in the olympics!!!

yesterday after it had been on a i had quite a few say, that bmxing was good and they gonna be cheering shanaze

i think people just say its  a kids sport without even seeing it

Rooonga

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Hi the nail on the head Matt, they haven't seen it!

I hate people making assumptions without even knowing what they're talking about.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:25 PM »

Paul, why not mention the thrills n spills of that Open Water Swimming ! WTF !! 2 hours that lasts and the BBC showed it all at 2am this morning, when the BMXing was rained off ! how fookin boring is that !?!

Bloody swimmers  ! LOL !!!
MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 12:33 PM »
When BMX has as many events as swimming then they can start moaning.  I don't see any other Olympians having the opportunity to grab 8 golds in one discipline.  The olympics needs to stay fresh and the IOC needs to add other sports in order to do this and I reckon a lot of people will remember the BMX racing.  The track looks awesome, the racing has been awesome so far, and if the IOC wanted a fresh exciting sport then I think they certainly got that by including BMX Racing.  Why they moaning anyway?  Did any of the 200 swimming events get dropped? No.  I still don't see why they needed to drop another cycling event to 'make room' for the BMX. Not when they've got so many events in other disciplines.  :idiot2:

Hey swimmers!  Here's something to ponder: How many olympic bmxers do you think can swim up and down the olympic swimming pool?  Now, how many olympic swimmers do you think can ride round the olympic bmx track and clear the 30 foot jumps?  Kids sport my arse.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 12:38 PM »
i think the bmx will deffo open peoples eyes, the commentator deffo had his eyes opened i think after the first couple of qtrs when 5 riders went down he said "theres carnage all over the track! ooowee! this is an amaaazing sport this!" i think it clicked for him then, the realisation that it is dangerous and very entertaining and you know he was really enjoying it. i was suprised at how much i enjoyed it to be honest as i don't like watching any sport but those qtrs rocked. theres nothing quite like a sport that guarentees risks, injuries n crashes and we all know bmx is gonna deliver the goods. swimming's just wet :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:05 PM by OrgasmDonor »

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 12:53 PM »
watch the bmxing, most replies where bmxing shouldnt be in the olympics!!!

I had the same problem where I work because most people immediately think BMXing is all about tricks and therefore would be won by the best trick.  Now they realise that it's RACING they can relate to the fact that the winner is the first across the line and that the physical effort put in by the athletes commands respect.  No-one has said "what a waste of time" including the racing has been, indeed most havbe been thoroughly impressed by it.  Humps

dialledbikes

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:13 PM »
When Shanaze brings back gold for Team GB, all of the whingers will be loving BMX.

My only fear is that BMX racing will be dropped after London 2012 and replaced by BMX Vert (which is allegedly what the IOC wanted in the first place but freestyle didn't have a world governing body so racing got the nod instead because the UCI was already recognised by the IOC).  I think racing fits in better with the Olympics than vert would (though I would love to see them both in the Games).  If they have to drop another cycling event to accomodate Vert, so be it as there are loads of track events and the MTB XC is bloody boring to watch.

jazzyje

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 04:24 PM »
without doupt the racing at the olympics is a fantastic advert for bmx.how many oldschoolers will come out of the woodwork after seeing that the sport is still going.so many people still think it died you know,even with the internet.
   i think its come along at just the right time too.we have a top quality track in all regions now.all the clubs know what there doing and the grass roots of the sport are well looked after by these clubs.its never gonna be 1984 again but wait for an explosion of interest in our sport.
   ask tk how many phone calls he's had over the last few weeks, after people have seen posters,reports in the papers of our events and then watched or read stuff about shanaze.
    things are looking good no matter what the swimmers say.the bloke who wrote that comment probably thinks we all ride around on diamondback igniters and leave our bikes in the garden for a year when we get a puncture.
   dont be too hard on him though,i know nothing of his sport but could probably take the piss out of it quite easily.

Lee Shurey

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 05:37 PM »
Because along with skateboarding, hanging around street corners and underage drinking... most should out grow the 'phenonema'.

She needs a good dry bumming   :Aresehole:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 06:23 PM »

She needs a good dry bumming   :Aresehole:

urghh :crazy2: if she spends all that time in a swimming pool her ass wil be pruny as fook :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:59 PM »
they need "Len Fairclough" to give them swimming lessons that lot!!!

I was talking to the girls in the office yesterday who always took the p1ss out of me for riding a "kids bike" and now they think I am nuts after seeing the olympics (I didnt tell them I dont do jumps though lol)

I think BMX racing will now be seen as a legitimate sport  :4_17_5:

:) DINGO :)

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:09 PM »
they need "Len Fairclough" to give them swimming lessons that lot!!!

:LolLolLolLol: Showing your age with that one Mark  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 09:00 PM »
The problem with freestyle or Vert getting to the Olympics is they would have  to introduce drug testing to the riders, and I don`t think anyone would pass because of the amount of recreational drugs they take, still there might be a chance for me then  :LolLolLolLol:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

nishiki14

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 09:14 PM »
i think the bmx will deffo open peoples eyes, the commentator deffo had his eyes opened i think after the first couple of qtrs when 5 riders went down he said "theres carnage all over the track! ooowee! this is an amaaazing sport this!" i think it clicked for him then, the realisation that it is dangerous and very entertaining and you know he was really enjoying it. i was suprised at how much i enjoyed it to be honest as i don't like watching any sport but those qtrs rocked. theres nothing quite like a sport that guarentees  risks, injuries n crashes and we all know bmx is gonna deliver the goods. swimming's just wet :LolLolLolLol:

You know what, when I spoke to miss jibba-jabba about the racing, I said that the only thing I was disapointed about was the fact that the comentator knew NOTHING about BMX, but when you put it like that, another convert wont hurt. Gutted I got up at 2am to watch it and it got bloody rained off, was at work at 6 too, gotta do it again tonight now............COME ON SHANAZE! :4_17_5: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain: :Great_Britain:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX Racing is Dumbing down and chaving up the Olympics - Really?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx