gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear Tuff II Issue...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rear Tuff II Issue...  (Read 494 times)

GREMLIN

Rear Tuff II Issue...
« on: August 20, 2008, 03:18 PM »
I’ve had a set of white Tuff 2’s with sealed bearings for a couple of years now and even tho they’ve been fitted to a couple of my builds i’ve never ridden on them.
I picked the rear out of the cupboard today and tried to spin it in my fingers and it felt seized. Out came the spanners and slackened the locknuts a little and the spindle started flapping about in the bearings.
What’s more the spindle is bent !!!.

So what’s the score with these?
They use a different sized spindle on the rear with different sized t.p.i. compared to the front. Why is this ?
The bearings are not the right size to hold the spindle snugly, so they wind the nuts down over-tight against the bearing face. To stop them rattling.

It was an easy fix by fitting a standard spindle in it’s place, which fits perfectly in the bearings.
Plus at least now i won’t need two seperate spanners to undo the front and rear wheels.
It’s not really  the point tho. It makes the standard Skyway package seem cobbled together.
Is this a normal problem with these newer Tuffs with the sealed bearings?                                 G.  :-X

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Rear Tuff II Issue...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 08:03 AM »
seems strange Gav, I've got a pair of new sealed type on my lads bike and they run as smooth as silk from the box.....no problems at all.

who did you get them from mate?

GREMLIN

Re: Rear Tuff II Issue...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Hi Rob. I'm 99.9% positive i got them from Rudewheels. It was a while back and i can't quite remember.
There's nothing silky smooth about these rear bearings. No roughness, just like stirring syrup with a teaspoon  :)    G.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear Tuff II Issue...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx