gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 08:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  tightening aheadsets whats the secret
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: tightening aheadsets whats the secret  (Read 1111 times)

2020mad

tightening aheadsets whats the secret
« on: August 16, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Just in the process of changing my forks, gone to tighten everything  back up but can't get the play out of forks, even tightened to point of steering tight and still play in headset bearings, any tips this is doing my head in tryed for last 3 hours to do now. >:(

Bettyswallocks

Re: tightening aheadsets whats the secret
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:46 PM »
Have you got enough spacers fitted?

2020mad

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 12:01 AM »
Yes i accually had to take 1 out as forks were shorter than previous ones.

Voodoocars

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:52 AM »
Check that the crown race isnt loose on the steerer tube.They are normally quite bombproof- thats the only thing I can think of.What I do is nip the centre bolt down, then the stem bolts, then centre bolt and finally tighten stem bolts.Thatway its all clamped gradually.Make sure that the top of the forks is a few mm down inside the stem and the top bolt doesnt foul forks.

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Might also be worth changing the gripnut inside the forks if you've not already done so as it could be moving up the inside of the forks as you tighten it down.  Definitely need a spacer or the stem to be about 3mm above the forks otherwise the top cap won't sit properly.  I know it sounds silly but have you definitely got the bearings up the right way as that can produce the sympotms you describe with the non-sealed type.  Humps

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  tightening aheadsets whats the secret

gfxgfx
gfx gfx