gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 05, 2024, 02:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  old School racing pics 82-86
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: old School racing pics 82-86  (Read 12631 times)

mr.magoo

old School racing pics 82-86
« on: August 18, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Hope you enjoy these, some faces you might recognise, just taken me 2 hours to scan and upload, sorry for quality, parents weren't good with camera.

and welsh, Buckmore National 85?

buckmore gate, regional 85?, my gates haven't changed much! Charlie in background (pink trousers)

Buckmore International 85?

Buckmore Tabletop 85?

Birmingham Wheels coffins, right hard to jump, specialy on JMc that was too small, John Vile in backround by motor home?

Buckmore summer series, champion of Champions 14yrs through 18+, grand prix over three moto's for big trophy,
moto 2, dirt down my side where derrol Kennard took me out in first race, he won, as he got 1,2,2, i got 8,1,1

folkestone flyers

last jump at herne bay

any one recognise the olymic gold medalist on the right?

me and my fan club, including one Jamie Staff

last jump at Herne Bay again, how far in front???

this is me at 13, just started racing, any-one see where i got the nickname Magoo from!

me and my best bud Mark Andrews RIP

Champion of champions at olympia 84/85? me in second

collecting summer series winners trophy at Buckmore, any one know the American Pro (pistol Pete)

start of the pro section at Herne Bay

Buckmores water jump, didn't last long, not many could clear it, my age group didn't have to, too young,
soon replaced with Buckmores version of Kong

buckmores new Kong, jump and turn in mid air, as mid corner!

First time i'd raced wayne Llewellyn, didn't know who he was, was beating him till i slipped a pedal in second
berm, was not happy, as the picture shows :LolLolLolLol:

hope you all enjoyed these, little bit of magoo nostalgia/history.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: old School racing pics 82-86
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 07:20 PM »

cool photos

wolfybmx

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:22 PM »
QUALITY PICS NEIL. THE PIC WITH JAMIE ON YOUR LEFT AND THE YOUNG GIRL YOUR RIGHT HER NAME WAS HALEY AND SHE LIVED OVER IN PLUCKLEY NEAR ASHFORD IN KENT. HAD SOME GREAT TIMES AND SOME GOOD MEMORIES OF HALEY. :daumenhoch:

HAVE SOME VIDEO OF RACING AT FOLKESTONE FLYERS WITH YOU AND JAMIE IN THE MIX.

mr.magoo

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Yes  Hayley Aylsbury, lived on the same estate as Jamie, stayed there for the whole of the summer holidays one year, taught Jamie to jump and do tricks etc...had a great time, too!! :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:28 PM »
 :4_17_5:

se

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:35 PM »
The coffins at Wheels bring back memories, never jumped them in a race they were wierd. Horrible things to roll over too.

Those OT stickers on the plate as well - I remember getting loads of those from OT when it was in the old shop on East Hill.

You should run one of those no smoking stickers now Neil, we'd appreciate the irony when you roll up before each moto.  :angel:

mr.magoo

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Yes bitd i was whiter than white, alot of kids looked up to me, so was doing my bit to try to stop youngsters starting because of their friends....unfortunately i didn't start until i was 21, after my first divorce :2gunsfiring_v1:

sonic-1

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 07:56 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: like yer say yer gates aint changed much !!!!! see hersden pic s thred  :2funny:

mr.magoo

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Funny really, gates never used to be my strong point, most of the time used to be the one pushing it down, cos i'd start too early... now what i need to do is get my nerve back for jumping...well anything thats over two bike lengths apart anyway!

daz bmx it!

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Cracking pics mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Great pics Neil.

Might change my mind about racing you at Hersden next year.  :LolLolLolLol:

DR VINOAH

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 08:21 PM »
ace pix magoo

and wernt that wayne Llewellyn a tall lad for his age ;)

mr.magoo

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Zippy, is that- you fancy the fun when not doin cruiser?

and yes I think Wayne was about 6'2" when i was about 5'10", but then look how big Nicky Dalton was back then too, brick outhouse springs to mind.....did they ever find his birth certificate for proof of age?

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Great pics mate, thanks for posting :daumenhoch:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline LucyLastic

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Fantastic pics, thanks for them  :4_17_5:

Buckmore Bat

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 12:15 AM »
Great pics Neil, some great memories there.
Nice one of you and Mark (rip). Mark was a good friend Back in my BMX days, 1st time around. I Remember his Dad taken us both to newcastle for a National, we left on the sunday morning, and me taking Mark and Dave Glendower to the champion of champions one year, Bloody good Laff.
Shame he is not here to see all this and be part of it again. :(

mr.magoo

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Yes deffo a big personality that is very sadly missed. Spent one summer at his house too, riding Gillingham skate park, and his dad dropped us off at Buckmore for the day on numerous days. Mark was my main competitor bitd in the region, and was such a funny guy to be around. A big loss!

xtremepervert

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 08:41 PM »
So Many wonderful memories Mr M. The one of you at top of rostrum is making me chuckle because I remember shouting " well done Magoo " and you shouting back " thanks " as you got it. I followed you on to the podium about a minute later to receive my 3rd place in the 15s. It was the day Pete Middleton got beaten into 2nd in 17+ in Dec 1983.

Buckmore Bat forgot to mention that it was Mark Andrews who made up his nickname Dazzling Darren!!!

mr.magoo

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 10:17 PM »
missed one, the wonderful Wigan  Whoops, seemed so big back then, mind my JMC was so short back then.

rod

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44 PM »
excellent pics Magoo

I didn't know about Mark Andrews (RIP) I grew up in the same town and went to the same school as him. Bit of a shock TBH mate.

digging the family archives tonight got a few scanned will get some uploaded

rod

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 09:37 PM »

My personal favourite memory - Kellogs @ Hounslow 1984 meeting Mike Miranda
I stopped wearing the Torker Shirt after this meeting and kept it in Near Mint Condition ever since, Sad I know but very true

Folkestone Flyers - Getting beat by Jamie Staff

The Crew - think this was taken at Herne Bay (I don't remember the jumps being that big at Folkestone)

Posing - Maybe Ipswich 84?

My Lil' bro - (Notice how much mud is around and his race kit is still sparkling :LolLolLolLol:)

Our retired team bus - turned into a bike shed for a number of years

Greg Hills - This boy could fly

Later 80's Posing - again. I loved that hat and my Robinson

Hounslow

Dean on the left went to my school, he was the first person I knew to race BMX. He had the oldest Mini Mongoose with the real Gooseneck

Look carefully you can spot the Legends of BMX right here  :daumenhoch:

My first ever ride at Buckmore Park - Haro Number plate purchased from the Halfords

Got a few more floating about these will do for now though, some very funny nineties ones somewhere. thanks for the good times BMX past, present and future

magna13

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 09:43 PM »
wow fantastic pictures. loving that team fox minibus... RAD as!  ;) ;)

mr.magoo

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 09:51 PM »
Quality Rod, looks like i should have stayed with the Mt factory, some of those pics are well ace, Legends on the gate and the guy at the top of the hill!!!Keep 'em coming mate :4_17_5: Question for ya...race gear etc got better after i left Fox, what about the bikes?

mr.magoo

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 10:33 PM »
yer right, herne bay last jump photo taken from lift off side of step up, looking towards finish line.
that pick at buckmore, what year. i don't remember ever going there that un-refined, my first race there was mid 83, i think.
Folkestones were much smaller, until i think it was '86 just as i was giving up they tried to copy Kong  on the fourth straight, but from memory up hill straight and wet track made jumpting almost impossible. in fact the more i think about it, i never even got to ride over it, cos i gave up in march, and it never got opened, cos of wet track and they didn't want it ruined in the winter. Loving that picture of Wolfy, could not for the life of me remember what he looked like bitd.

get some more up Rod.

wolfybmx

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 01:18 PM »
great memories flooding back of riding for the mt racing crowd.and great to see you in the shop today.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  old School racing pics 82-86

gfxgfx
gfx gfx