gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ACS Freecoaster & Skyway Coaster Problems
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ACS Freecoaster & Skyway Coaster Problems  (Read 2117 times)

moley

ACS Freecoaster & Skyway Coaster Problems
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:13 PM »
I have just decided to rebuild my SE Quad Freestyler.

I wanted to use my new White Tuffs which I bought in January that haven't been used yet and fit an ACS Freecoaster to it!!

The b@stard wont fit.

The cone hub thingy that needs replacing with the freecoaster hub thingy has a different thread pitch on it.

I'm sooooooo disappointed!!  :(

I'd like to use the ACS Freecoaster!

Are there any options open to me?       Or do I need some oldie Coaster Tuffs?

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: ACS Freecoaster & Skyway Coaster Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Many years ago my friend disabled his coaster brake by putting some washers in to stop the standard cone undoing too far. That was on a Shimano coaster brake.
Wonder why the threads are wrong, I thought that Skyways only came with Suntour coasters.

steve Beech TA

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:09 PM »

Hi mate i might have the ans to your prayers mate, i will take a pic and pm it to you. i have all the guts of an old wheel so you can have them, god you do enough for us lot. and they are sound. the only bit that is not is the axel as its slightly bent. so if yours is ok then you will end up with a good hub. thinking about it if your going to creation i will bring them there, if you bring your wheel we can chuck them in. can you send me a pic and i will have a butchers. to make sure its right. only takes 20 min top's to do.
 :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:12 PM by steve Beech TA »

moley

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Heres some pics of the NS Tuff with the Internal Cone removed.   

The internal cone on the Left is the Original Skyway Cone.

The Cone on the Right is the OS ACS Freecoaster Cone Replacement + Lock (which screws into the centre of the Cone replacement)

The Skyways are NEW and dont have an alloy flange (I haven't a clue if OS internals will fit NS Tuffs).

Thanks for the helps guys!!  :daumenhoch:

steve Beech TA

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Sorry Moley

Did not realise the NS bit, the one's i sent you pic's of wont fit. >:(.

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Are the coasters still made by Suntour ? Should be stamped on the anchor bracket. I didn't realise they still did coaster tuffs, perhaps they changed the design.

moley

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:02 PM »
The brake arm says 'Hi Stop' on it.

The internals seem similar to Steve's internals

What exactly is the problem with using the OS gubbins in the NS tuff?

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Sounds like the coasters are made by someone else. If the bearings are the same size you should be able to use the old suntour bits in the new wheel but I have never tried it.
Can anyone else remember how the washer mod worked as it could save the need for using a freecoaster altogether.

moley

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Steve's going to send me his axle and gubbins.

It probably wont work but it would be good to check it out.

What does the washer mod do?

I am using the ACS Freecoaster because I want to be able to switch between Coaster and Freecoaster at will!!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Oh I see. I thought the freecoaster just converted the coaster hub to a freewheel. By putting washers in and probably removing the brake shoes you get the benifit of a coaster when rolling backwards but no brake. You wouldn't be able to switch from one to the other without taking it apart though.

adeshere

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:24 PM »
I'm sure they changed to bendix coaster hubs at some point

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 08:38 PM »
I think tuff 1's had bendix coasters as did the Lester alloy wheels my friend modded so the brake wouldn't come on. That was probably in about 1980 though so I might be wrong.

moley

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:19 PM »
I've got the coaster of Steve!!

Minty fresh and clean as a whistle!!

Tomorrow night I'll try and see if the internals will swap over!!  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:10 PM »
It doesn't fit!!!  :(

The internal clutch cone fits but the rest of the gubbins doesn't.

The bearings are smaller on the new version. and the cups are different!!

So unless you can replace the external barrel housing from the Hub of the wheel, which is beyond me then forget about it!!

The internals of the the New Coaster has an internal coiled spring inside the clutch cone with 2 prongs which locate the brake into the cup.  The old version just slide into the cup to brake with a non-coiled spring.

The new version has 2 large shoes which take up 90% of the circumference of the housing with those 2 prongs that fit between them.  The old has 3 shoes.

Bah humbug!!

I now have an extremely mucky white skyway!!

Whats best to clean it?  :(

andy.w

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 08:18 PM »
I had a similar problem with a set of lester mags a while ago (sold them in the end),  Not sure if this link will help :

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/category/hub-coaster_brake

Good luck

moley

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 08:44 PM »
No Help!!

But I'll remember the site just in case!!

Looks like I'm stuck with a normal coaster!!

Where's me helmet!!  :buck2:

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 05:08 PM »
I have just been experimenting with my coaster hub. They really aren't very good if you want to reduce pedalling effort. As you pedal forwards not only do you fight against the brake shoes/plates but also against the spring that is fitted in the double cone shaped bit (you can see it in the picture earlier in the thread)
I was talking about modding the hub to remove the brake and it could be done but this spring is only really meant to go one way. You would be able to pedal backwards but it would be quite stiff and probably wouldn't do it any good. If you remove the spring the cone bit won't tighten properly resulting in no drive, anyone who had a Grifter will know what that is like !

moley

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Wasnt the old technique.............

Remove the 3 brake shoes and insert some washers so that the brake cone cannot undo!!

And remove the brake arm!!

Thats all I can remember about it!!

I built up my bike for radchester but had to remove the coaster wheel and stick the rear tuff of my OS Racer on it.

I'd kill myself on it.

Imagine pedalling down deansgate while pissed as a newt and then trying to stop.  :buck2:

This has been my worst build ever!!

I've hated every minute of it!!

1st the coaster/Freecoaster didn't work and then anything and everything that could go wrong has!!!

I had some white odyssey gyro cable but they dont fit my gyro 2.  :wtf:

I was using some DC 901 but they wouldn't reach my rim because I only had a redline 45t chainwheel and removing a link was impossible.

I had to bastardise 2 bikes just to bodge this one up!!  >:(

It'll probably fall apart tomorrow!!

I need a drink after this!!  :)

lodge

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 06:07 PM »
ACS free-coasters never worked at the best of times i had several bitd and the wheel would lock up when you least expected it.

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 06:18 PM »
Yes sounds about right for the mod. I stopped riding in about 85 and any knowledge I have stopped then. I have never seen a freecoaster althought I spotted one of the ACS freewheel things on ebay.
Sounds like you have been having a mare.
I remember my friend nearly crashing in a big way the first time he tried an ariel after fitting a coaster. He didn't realise but while in the air he would pedal backwards a bit, think he left a nice tyre mark on the ramp from about 3/4 of the way up to the bottom. Thank god for stem pads !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  ACS Freecoaster & Skyway Coaster Problems

gfxgfx
gfx gfx