gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 09:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cost Of Frame Builds.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Cost Of Frame Builds.  (Read 947 times)

jody

Cost Of Frame Builds.
« on: August 12, 2008, 04:34 PM »
Hello Bikers,

What I wanted to find out is, how many of you good folks out there think that the price of a BMX frame is way over the top, and how much workmanship actually go into these frames to sell at some of these crazy prices :shocked:

I know certain hobbies can be costly and being a comic collector I know :LolLolLolLol:

Again one may say these are pieces of metal welded together (different type metals) and does it really make a difference whether they are made in th USA or in Taiwan or any where else in the world & also the life time warranty which some frames come with, uncluding our own ukbikeco. So fire away ???

Quad Father.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
Re: Cost Of Frame Builds.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:48 PM »
same as clothing, you pay for the label, look, function or pedigree, all cost roughly the same to make but marketing and attitudes have a lot to do with it also, im a scruffy c*nt n buy midschool as its cheap n cheerful :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Some of my builds i've easily spent £500 / £600 if not more, the gen 1 build will cost nearly a grand I reckon  :shocked:, but each build is different and it depends what finish you want on it. It seems that bikes only seem to get full wack if you sell on if they are split up which is a shame, but yeah they are expensive and that's why I'm only doing another 4 or 5 builds then that's it! mmmmmmmmm we'll see  ;D ;)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 06:47 PM »
but yeah they are expensive and that's why I'm only doing another 4 or 5 builds then that's it! mmmmmmmmm we'll see  ;D ;)

:shocked: :shocked: i've only done three old school  in total plus two new school ones, but i did only start in December last year, i also have one more oldie for after Christmas to do, when my son unwraps it.

But yep can be a very expensive hobby, won't be long before the Aero reflex will be worth a lot more than it is now.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21 PM »
it depend on how you do it , some folks go mad and buy it all in 6 weeks and build a nos bike , others like myself spend time finding stuff ,restoring stuff and making sure it right , i ve most probably only restored 7 bikes in 8 years of collecting and have too many projects left to do but not bothered as all will be done after most people have moved on from this sport .
 price wize  is scary as some of my frames  have cost over a ton just for paint ,stickers` and plastic beed blast .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:12 PM »
personally i think bmx parts are cheap, when i got into downhill mtbs for a few years my frame cost me £1100  :shocked: forks were £800 :shocked: :shocked: and complete it owed 3.5k :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: and that wasnt all top of the range parts, now compare that to a top of the range bmx like my black bike which owes me £1500 and comes with a warrenty unlike a mtb and it makes u realise bmx parts are a bargin espcially considering how much abuse they take

as for the taiwain v usa thing the way i look at it would u trust a frame made by someone on a low wage in the far east whos not into the sport and not part of a bmx company but a manufacutering company or someone like s&m in the us who build there frames inhouse so have better quality control, have workers on a decent wage who more than likely ride and have pride in their work as they work directly for one of the most well known bmx companys arfound today
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:19 PM by kev s »

evamedia

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 09:36 AM »
around 95% of the bikes sold in the U.S. are made in China or Taiwan by a handful of manufacturers

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

You make that many bikes, you're probably not crap at it.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 09:50 AM »
 :) I really don`t think that all frames made in the Far East are crap.Nobody disagrees that S&M/Standard etc are fantastic frames but Taiwan is not China and a lot of their frames are probably as good as anything made in the USA.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:54 AM »
im not sayin taiwan built frames are crap what im saying is i personally have more faith in a american made frame which the company make in house so have more control and dont exploit their workers, hence why tiwain made frames are cheaper to buy as the labour costs to make them are lower

evamedia

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Yeah, but the cost of living in Taiwan is cheaper, just 'cos it looks like they get 2bob a week to us, doesn't mean they're destitute

dibly

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 04:38 PM »
around 95% of the bikes sold in the U.S. are made in China or Taiwan by a handful of manufacturers

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

You make that many bikes, you're probably not crap at it.

i agree i have seen so called hand made in the USA frames in production in the far east...the guys over there know there stuff, alot more than people think and the cost of production etc means the products are cheaper but end of the day you pay for the quality there is alot of tat made over but there is also some fine stuff made there to but you would be shocked to see how many so called hand made in the states there is coming out of taiwan....stickers are put on in the USA doesnt make it made in the USA

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Cost Of Frame Builds.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx