gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 09:01 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Worst rider to be sponsored?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Worst rider to be sponsored?  (Read 2969 times)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Worst rider to be sponsored?
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:05 PM »
I thought seeing as I've done a 'best rider' it was only fair to do a worst rider.  ::)

Same rules apply, worst rider in your opinion who did get full sponsorship.

No particular order.

Scotty Cameron ($30K a year at 15 for doing some basic flat land tricks  :shocked:)
Dizz Hicks - Great character and super cool guy but was he actually any good?  :-\

It's all fun lads.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Worst rider to be sponsored?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Ha ha !
Me, only got some riding kit and a set of pads (not full sponsorship).  Could do a few tricks well but was scared to go to near the top of the quarter pipe !
Did put the ramps up most of the time though so sort of made up for it   ;)

andy619

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Fred Blood

Lazarou

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:11 PM »
Zoid!

rosscoe

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27 PM »
me??

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Fred Blood

but he had some bloody nice se bikes out of it

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:43 PM »
 Those two that took over from terry and Andy at Torker... i never saw them do any tricks or enter comps..
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

bmxer4ever

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 09:50 PM »
I thought seeing as I've done a 'best rider' it was only fair to do a worst rider.  ::)

Same rules apply, worst rider in your opinion who did get full sponsorship.

No particular order.

Scotty Cameron ($30K a year at 15 for doing some basic flat land tricks  :shocked:)
Dizz Hicks - Great character and super cool guy but was he actually any good?  :-\

It's all fun lads.

Who?

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:00 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

Scotty fooking Freeman....yes I know I'm a pleb yer sarcy basteward!

Cheers Gaz.  ;)
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

teamsano

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 10:45 PM »
neville potts.

Jamie C

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 01:12 PM »
neville potts.

Frank (Schnutengutenhooten) from Germany,

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 01:19 PM »
Dizz Hicks was "smoooth as butta baby!" an awesome rider IMO, as far as entertainment, execution and delivery is concerned he was up there with the big boys :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Fred Blood

:LolLolLolLol:  Great on roller skates though, I think I met him once at Harrow Skatepark back in the 70's  :-[.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

andy619

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 03:26 PM »
Fred Blood

:LolLolLolLol:  Great on roller skates though, I think I met him once at Harrow Skatepark back in the 70's  :-[.

He is a great guy and an incredible roller skater, but ...

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Fred Blood

He is a great guy and an incredible roller skater, but ...

Very diplomatic of you Mr Sho  ???

Daz.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 06:47 PM »
neville potts.

But Nev was always good value to watch! Usually did something WAAAYY beyond his capabilities then crashed in spectacular fashion!
Anyway, wasn't he only sponsored by Town and Country?
I think Daz is talking about full factory BIKE sponsorship. Clothing would be a co - sponsor, unless they were throwing a bit of cash at ye as well. Jeez - Gotcha gave me a box of gear, some stickers and a poster! Bike, expenses and everything else came out of MY pocket....
Sponsorship Jim, but not as we know it... :LolLolLolLol:

teamsano

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 09:36 PM »
sponsorship is sponsorship. clothes or not.

a big box of clothes could easily equal the value of a frame back then. lets face it, i doubt anyone in the uk received a wage to ride a bike unless they done shows or something for it. (after the campbell/ruffell era) and i bet even dudes riding for gt or skyway still travelled to comps in the back of the van.

Longun

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Dunno if it was co-incidence, but everytime I used to watch that Billy Stupple bloke ride he just used to hang up. Proper rubbish he was.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Dunno if it was co-incidence, but everytime I used to watch that Billy Stupple bloke ride he just used to hang up. Proper rubbish he was.  :LolLolLolLol:

he still does it today just loads more fun hearing the shouting and screaming when he hooks,

still a treat to watch though :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 04:59 AM »

he still does it today just loads more fun hearing the shouting and screaming when he hooks,

still a treat to watch though :daumenhoch:

and nowadays he doesn't even get a lift home in the skyway van.. he has to use his own... :LolLolLolLol:
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

WizardWeb

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Fred Blood

but he had some bloody nice se bikes out of it

I remember a few years back people were slagging him off on the Vintage forums. He turned up, started posting and so far as I could see went away with his tail between his legs... never turned up again. Basically the yanks were telling him he never pulled a trick cleanly in his life !

In the vids of the general shows they posted, you could see RL looking slightly uncomfortable too...  :LolLolLolLol:

magna13

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Dizz Hicks was "smoooth as butta baby!" an awesome rider IMO, as far as entertainment, execution and delivery is concerned he was up there with the big boys :daumenhoch:
yeh i totally agree with you OD, have you seen the footage of him on 'Joe Kidd On A Stingray', super minty  :smitten:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 01:23 PM »
sponsorship is sponsorship. clothes or not.

a big box of clothes could easily equal the value of a frame back then. lets face it, i doubt anyone in the uk received a wage to ride a bike unless they done shows or something for it. (after the campbell/ruffell era) and i bet even dudes riding for gt or skyway still travelled to comps in the back of the van.

Youv'e got a point there Goags - and I have no idea if anyone in the UK ever got a wage for riding. Be interesting to see if anyone on here knows.
G

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 06:35 PM »
I think Canning and Jason Ellis did while they were doing the circus thing and I think Dave Young did but not sure how much.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Worst rider to be sponsored?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx