gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 02:43 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  BMX Talk says Old School are asking for Nationals.. Is this right?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Talk says Old School are asking for Nationals.. Is this right?  (Read 4730 times)

Lee Shurey

Re: BMX Talk says Old School are asking for Nationals.. Is this right?
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Just said my bit on bmxtalk  :10_2_12:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Me too  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

moley

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 08:17 PM »
And me!!

I like a good rant!!!  :daumenhoch:

TonyDaButcher

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 08:53 PM »
The Old School class is often viewed as being cliquey and separatist... fact.
This is your opportunity to let the rest of the modern BMX Racing world know why you love your old bikes so much and why you should be treated the same.
It's not about causing bad feeling and divisions, thers's enough of that around.

It's good to talk!

Love Peace and Pork Chops.

QuadPaul

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 09:37 PM »
I think it's a good debate to get out there, and the general consencus seems to be positive which is good to see. So hopefully next year we can be a BCF class pay our way in the sport officially (like most of us have doen anyway) and get on with enjoying riding our old bikes :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 09:41 PM »

You might see it that way, Tony, but I dont!!

If you went to any of the races oop North you would see that we are very approachable, friendly and supportive of any rider in any class!!

At the end of the day we doing this for the enjoyment not the glory.

OS Racing is just a way back into BMX for those people who wont be able to compete with the NS lot!

Were mostly unfit and crusty and our riding skilsl are way behind most NS'ers

This is your opportunity to let the rest of the modern BMX Racing world know why you love your old bikes so much and why you should be treated the same.

Thats the whole point!!   Why aren't we treated the same as any other class?

People have said 'Why dont you race your OS bikes against the NS'ers'!!

That would be unfair to the OS riders.   The bikes aren't as strong.  The geometry isn't good and they ride like crap compared to NS bikes.  The brakes are shite and you have to continually adjust parts on your bike to keep it in trim!!

The simple fact is - Whatever the era that you grow up in effects you for the rest of your life.

We grew up when BMX first did the rounds.    Those are the bikes we first loved and still remember today.  We know thier crap to ride compared to modern bikes but their individuality, chrome, experimental, flawed, ugly, outrageous, beautiful, powdercoated designs still evoke strong feelings for those that rode these bikes BITD.

Just the same as any Mid Schooler's and their feelings towards the bikes they first rode!!!

In 20 years time, Tony you might be on here spouting how great your bike is compared to any future NS bikes that come along!!

Were having fun and we are not hurting anybody!!

So why do you want to be cliquey and separatist and not let us join in the fun!!  :daumenhoch:

Lee Shurey

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 09:48 PM »

You might see it that way, Tony, but I dont!!

If you went to any of the races oop North you would see that we are very approachable, friendly and supportive of any rider in any class!!

At the end of the day we doing this for the enjoyment not the glory.

OS Racing is just a way back into BMX for those people who wont be able to compete with the NS lot!

Were mostly unfit and crusty and our riding skilsl are way behind most NS'ers

Thats the whole point!!   Why aren't we treated the same as any other class?

People have said 'Why dont you race your OS bikes against the NS'ers'!!

That would be unfair to the OS riders.   The bikes aren't as strong.  The geometry isn't good and they ride like crap compared to NS bikes.  The brakes are shite and you have to continually adjust parts on your bike to keep it in trim!!

The simple fact is - Whatever the era that you grow up in effects you for the rest of your life.

We grew up when BMX first did the rounds.    Those are the bikes we first loved and still remember today.  We know thier crap to ride compared to modern bikes but their individuality, chrome, experimental, flawed, ugly, outrageous, beautiful, powdercoated designs still evoke strong feelings for those that rode these bikes BITD.

Just the same as any Mid Schooler's and their feelings towards the bikes they first rode!!!

In 20 years time, Tony you might be on here spouting how great your bike is compared to any future NS bikes that come along!!

Were having fun and we are not hurting anybody!!

So why do you want to be cliquey and separatist and not let us join in the fun!!  :daumenhoch:
Very well put Moley spot on  :daumenhoch:

moomin

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 10:00 PM »
It's not about causing bad feeling and divisions, thers's enough of that around.

It's good to talk!

Tony,

I dont know where the insinuation that O/S is cliquey/separatist has come from, speaking for us in the South we all muck in, have made loads of friends that we all enjoy seeing, our kids race, we join other classes and enjoy the trackside banter, lots of us help with running clubs and helping out at Regional events etc

:-\

moley

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 10:01 PM »
Well said, 11111Mrs11111Ratty111!!! :daumenhoch:

TonyDaButcher

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 10:43 PM »

It's good to talk!

Tony,

I dont know where the insinuation that O/S is cliquey/separatist has come from, speaking for us in the South we all muck in, have made loads of friends that we all enjoy seeing, our kids race, we join other classes and enjoy the trackside banter, lots of us help with running clubs and helping out at Regional events etc

:-\

It was a generalisation I know, but still a fact. I didn't make it up, but I know it's a widely spread feeling that oldschoolers don't mix much with other riders trackside, as they obviously have so much in common with each other, they just keep to each other. Birds of a feather and all that. It's just human nature.

What I'm saying is maybe get amongst the kids and understand them a bit more as well, instead of just being wrapped up in your own little world. Ask them about their bikes, tell them about old times, give them some training tips and advice. You guys have got so much to offer, stop building walls around yourselves.

Nikki/Tony it doesn't apply to your family I know, I would regard you as the perfect example of what can be achieved when OldSchoolers get back into it.

I'm not having a pop, just saying how I see it. Sorry if you disagree, but I still think it's good to talk and maybe get a better understanding of what you guys see as your place in todays sport.

And for those that don't know me I'm probably older than most on here. (But not as old as Humps)

Peace, Love and a Pork Chipolata

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 11:29 PM »
I ride oldschool because its FUN. If I ride at a National it's more serious, and rightly so.  I personally wouldn't be interested in any Oldschool Nationals for the same reasons as everyone else - cost, unable to commit due to work, etc etc.  An annual MK event is great, it's OUR event, run how WE want it, without any outside interference, and that's how I hope it stays. 

The oldschool class contributes a good amount of cash to every region where they race, so why shouldn't we be properly recognised at Regional/Brits Level.  The Brits is run by BC and recognises the commitment and support that riders have given to their Region.  Oldschool riders have certainly done that this year!  This year has shown that an oldschool class can be run at Regionals very successfully with the rules for bikes being agreed by the riders in the oldschool class - no need to rewrite the rulebook on our account  ;).

All us oldschoolers want is to be allowed to get up on the gate and race.  We understand we're not as fast/skillful as we used to be, otherwise we'd be riding Masters or Cruiser, but BMX is supposed to be a family sport so it would be nice if BC gave recognition to a very well supported class which has within it's ranks a fair few riders who were there at the beginning of the sport.

give them some training tips and advice.

Tony, some of the 6 and unders could teach some of us a thing or two mate!  :LolLolLolLol:

TonyDaButcher

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 11:46 PM »
Just on a technical note Kenny..
The Brits is run by the Regions not British Cycling or the Commission, thats why the Regions were asked to vote on whether or not to allow an OldSchool class at the Brits next year.
The BMX Commission run the Natonal Series. All under the umbrella of BC of course (at present).
In reality, the Regional officers and the Commision are pretty much the same people, just Mums and Dads.
Just like in the old days eh? he he!

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008, 11:50 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out Tony.  What I meant was that The Brits is an entirely Domestic event, nothing to do with UCI or other outside influences.  Even better then, I can't really see any Regions objecting to one of their most popular classes being included in the Brits, as recognition of their continued support throughout the year.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:53 PM by kennyhunter6061 »

TonyDaButcher

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 12:01 AM »
I think the South West and East Anglia could be the stumbling block as they are known as pure race regions, might be surprised though.
South have said yes already.
You need all regions to say yes to get the proposal through.
This could go on into next year which is one of the reasons I wanted to start a debate and get the other regions to take it seriously and give it some thought and a fair hearing.
Good luck.

moley

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 12:04 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

spillers#1

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 06:03 AM »
Whats all this rubbish about old skoolers keeping themselves to themselves  :idiot2: most of us,me included know most of the n/s people whether they be 5 years old or 35+ and also have a hell of a lot of banter with the younger generation at the race meetings  ;) thats another reason why i still race,whether it be 40+ or old skool,competing at regionals and nationals along side the new generation keeps me feeling young at heart  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 08:43 AM »
the north series o/s is still quite new and i would say from our perspective its the other way round, the n/s appear to give us a wide berth, we are there, in the middle of it, and im sure as time goes on then the barriers will drop, but you can't force people to be sociable, we are still the new kids at school at the mo, its six n two threes, neither one side or the other, no cliques, just human nature

its racing not interfacing that counts :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 08:57 AM »
I agree Daz,

At Manchester we were having some Craic with the NSer's

But its like life in general.

If you dont know anyone then you seem standoffish and distant.   Over time you get to know people and and get some rapport going and you begin to integrate more!!

It just takes a bit of time!!

At the end of the day we are all riders that enjoy what we do!!  :daumenhoch:

nishiki14

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 11:57 PM »
I think the South West and East Anglia could be the stumbling block as they are known as pure race regions, might be surprised though.
South have said yes already.
You need all regions to say yes to get the proposal through.
This could go on into next year which is one of the reasons I wanted to start a debate and get the other regions to take it seriously and give it some thought and a fair hearing.
Good luck.

Paula Hallett the regional secretary for the South-West was the 1st person to reply to my email and she is bringing it up at their upcoming AGM, as for the EA I hope to get some positve response from them soon as I know for a fact that we have enough riders (im one of them) and please Tony, we do seperate ourselves from everyone else and I dont know why you are trying to put that across? ???

AND WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR NATIONAL RECOGNITION, we are asking for Regional and the Brits :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:01 AM by nishiki14 »

eloopnai

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2008, 04:09 PM »
sam
there seems a lot of negativity on bmx talk towards us old skoolers
they have got the wrong end of the stick about us wanting nationals too
im in ea to and will be sending an email later on to fight the cause  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2008, 05:21 PM »
I have just gave 'em some hard facts on the money generated by the OS in the North Region!!

More money was generated by OS than any other Class for Race fees by about £100 at least over the year.

They seem to get hung up on Nationals when Nishiki14 never even mentioned he wanted to race Nationals.

Roger has said that the riders would need a minimum requirement of a "Bronze Membership" with no need for the race licence because it would be at regional level not national level.

All that was said was that you need a Bronze Membership and no race license was needed because we are not racing Nationals.

Some people are just idiots!!  :idiot2:

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2008, 05:30 PM »
Some people are just idiots!!  idiot2

you would know matey

r

moley

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Russ, you didn't even get your Idiot Smiley to work!!  :idiot2:

You  :idiot2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  BMX Talk says Old School are asking for Nationals.. Is this right?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx