gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake setup help - not stopping hard enough
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake setup help - not stopping hard enough  (Read 688 times)

Damon

Brake setup help - not stopping hard enough
« on: August 10, 2008, 08:28 AM »
Hi guys I need some advice on brake setup.

I've recently got back on a bike after a 20 year gap and am having some difficulties getting the performance I expect out of the brakes on my Torker Freestyler.

The setup is white Skyway Mags, DC 901's, Tech4 levers and new cables.  Not sure of the make of the pads, but they are modern, clear and look like the Skyway Pro Tuffs.  The front brake cable is run through the dk stem, through the fork, down the fork and back up into the brake.

I am disappointed with the performance of the brakes and I am sure its down to my setup skills.

I just don't seem to get the power I am expecting.  When trying to do an Endo the front bites, but as I transfer the weight upwards the wheel rolls a good 6 inches and the move is compromised.

If I pull the cable through more to bring the blocks closer to the rim I gain more stopping power, but the blocks don't return to starting position, leaving the right hand block (looking from riding position) in contact with the rim.

Can anyone give me some basic advice on brake setup and how I can get a good strong bite and tension in the lever?

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Brake setup help - not stopping hard enough
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Just leave it ALL old school brakes are sh!t  :daumenhoch:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Oil the cables. Even though they're new, they will benefit from some lube.

Give the spring a little tweak outwards, to ensure some tension in the caliper.

Be sure the centre bolt isn't overtightened and causing the caliper to bind, but obviously not so loose that its flapping around. (locking nuts on the front)

And while you're there at the centre bolt, spend some time centrering the whole thing so hopefully it pulls equally off the rim when you let the lever go. (nut on the back)

Apart from that, perhaps a change of blocks, but I don't know enough to advise you on them.

Hope that helps  :)

Linus27

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:20 PM »
I am in a similar postion. Been out of it for 20 years, new bike, brakes not to hot.

TwoBobRob, can you recommend any type of lube for the cables? Also, any of grease or lubrication for other parts like chain, sprocket etc would be greatly appreciated.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:08 AM »
Lube for cables can be any light oil really, 3 in1 or similar.  I use GT85 myself.  Don't use WD40 unless you want to be lubing cables all the time, it evaporates a little too quickly really.

If you're riding street or skateparks then there's no real need for chain lube as such, the enviroment is so clean (assuming your chain is brand new).  If you're riding dirt or racing then it's a little more important. Personally, I'd either drip some 3 in 1 on and then run the chain through a cloth gripped in your hand (to spread the oil and clean the excess), or go for a proper aerosol chainlube.  I use Wurth Drylube on my motorbike chains and I put it on my cruiser chain for MK recently - it worked a treat. I'm sure there's a good MTB equivalent to be had.

Wetting a cloth with GT85 so its soaking and then running the chain through it works fine too.  :)

Linus27

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:23 AM »
Thanks TwoBobRob  :)

thecrooch

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 09:07 AM »
finishline do a brilliant range of lubes... (available in halfords or most LBS)

Caliper brakes are basically useless compared to the modern brakes of now, ive tried so many different combinations of levers and blocks - i think ive got as good as its going to get...

Firstly I dont think the OS levers pull enough cable - tech 4's i could pull to the bars - so i tried a new school Dia Compe (dia tech) Dirty Harry, i can pull the lever longer and harder, more force on the blocks - better stopping power, also OS blocks generally dont come with the NS washer set up which means they are very hard to line up on the rim,  so that you get all of the block service contacting the rim at the same time. - if you get a set of NS blocks you will see that they contain a metal donut washer that means you can adjust the angle of the block on the rim.  also the NS blocks are longer and give you more contact on the rim.

and yes lube the cable or of course buy a NS cable (no one will be able to tell the difference) that contains a kevlar or similar lining, these are pre lubed and keep the cables nice and moist....

only my findings/ramblings after a season in OS racing....  Hope they help.... of course if its raining - dont bother wasting you energy in pulling the lever nothing will happen!

Crooch

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 12:46 PM »
or dump the old caliper and get a Pittbull.......i did and it works so much better!  but like Crooch says, they're not as good as new U brakes and in the wet......don't even bother  :LolLolLolLol:

thecrooch

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 12:53 PM »
or dump the old caliper and get a Pittbull.......i did and it works so much better!  but like Crooch says, they're not as good as new U brakes and in the wet......don't even bother  :LolLolLolLol:

actually ive done the same just picked up one from Gary72 when he split his robo at MK (£5 bargain)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:20 PM »
that is a bargain mate!!  it'll work so much better!   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake setup help - not stopping hard enough

gfxgfx
gfx gfx