gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 10:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Gyros...any use?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Gyros...any use?  (Read 1528 times)

Stella Dave

Gyros...any use?
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:48 PM »
Thinking about putting a gyro on my four pack but wondered if they are actually any good?
My mate's one is terrible, the bars dont even spin!

Are the Ody ones for £12 any good? Or wot should i go for? Or best left?

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: Gyros...any use?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:57 PM »
unless ure planning on doin bar spins or tail whips i wouldnt bother
as a linear cable works even when spun round twice

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 03:04 PM »
personally id wouldnt bother, ive always hated gyros, they always seem to need setting up and the brake dosent feel as good so ive always used a long cable and now linear cables make it even better :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 03:23 PM »
As the others have said, the new linear cables are so good.  But, if like me you like the gyro as a gadget then go ahead and stick one on.  The Oddy or SST ones are fine, they do need a bit of setting up though, and you can expect to loose a little of the feel at the lever.  It doesn't have to be a problem, my brake is on the button, but I did spend a little time getting it right.

Plenty of advice here to sort you out though bud   :daumenhoch:

christhejob

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:05 PM »
gyros work as good as if not better than a normal brake if you lube it all to hell and spend oooh, say, 5 minute being patient and adjusting them..  once you've done one well you'll never have a problem. patience and a 10mm spanner is all you need..

Voodoocars

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Snafu mobeus is good.I had one on my bike but the only time I spun my bars was when the bike went in the car.Took it off and put a linear cable on - lighter.looks less cluttered, and I can still get the bike in the car  :daumenhoch:

welsh denny

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 09:47 PM »
i've never had a problem with good braking with a gyro. bit of time and new cables and all should be good. i like the old odyssey ratchet levers from 98 or so. levers are sprung so make it feel like a normal brake. then again get a dragonfly top cable for normal dc tech 77 etc. few riders i know run and swear by em.

Stella Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:07 PM »
cheers guys! I'll stick with linear then for now, it may even be a linear thats on it as Zed has changed the brake.

zed4130

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:23 PM »
i only changed the back brake to a humbre dave, plus there are no proper gyro  mounts on a the fourpack , i wouldnt bother mate , as said unless your doing tricks that need a gyro , a long cable is good enough   :daumenhoch:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Buy a gyro and get TwoBob to set it up, or tell you how to set it up, I use one and he set mine up and it's freeking awesome! Always used one, don't see the point in not having one but each to their own!

Cheers Rob....you're the brake maestro!  ;)

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Ayethankyou!!

Linus27

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 11:36 AM »
TwoBobRob

Any chance you could help me with my brakes as they are pretty naff on my new bike?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 05:52 PM »
Yeah mate, no problem.  First things last, take a couple of close up photos so I know what you're on about, then we'll go step by step through it.  It's fairly simple if you're methodical   ;)

Farrell BMX

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 12:08 AM »
Gyro's are srsly the way forward (Y), I started riden when the single cable fashion was massive haha
And about a year later i started seeing more and more gyro's coming bak
soo i decided to fit one myself and i really felt the difference, suree there a little bit harder to set up
and they take more effort to get hold of but at the end of the day they are really worth it(Y)

I fitted mine and on that day i finally landed
my first 3 lot of whips in a row (Y) (3 in a row and you have it)
And then a week later lernt barspins
but a gyro is really worth investing in (Y)

:daumenhoch:
[/font][/color]

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 01:24 AM »
took mine off my daily rider SD and just have a bit longer cable - mind you the cable is shimano in lavinder and 25 years old (works fine  ;))
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Gyros...any use?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx