gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 01:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  young kids know nothing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: young kids know nothing  (Read 2640 times)

og zima

young kids know nothing
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:20 PM »
go down your local park and say the name, eddie fiola or mike domingeuz they aint got a clue?  they are why bmx is where it is today? bmx is so good ,kids need to see that the old days are the new times in a way, learn the basics? hey im off to tripple whip a 450 hip? :idiot2:

condor96

Re: young kids know nothing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:02 AM »
i know exactly what you mean.  they have no clue. i went to my local skatepark last night, and this kid was pretty good but get talking to him he didnt seem to know anything about bmx or its history beyond the current trends with bikes and "video game" style of tricks. all i get is a "ur bike must be heavy" or a sneared look cuz i have 4 pegs and brakes and i dont slam my seat. didnt seem like he cared about the history of the sport and how it got here 2day.

macky

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:22 AM »
Absolutely right! It's like bmx didn't exist before half these kids started riding!!

It annoys me sometime's when they think you havn't got a clue wot ya talkin about...

i mean... we were riding before these kid's were born...

it's like... kid's now seem to think fakie means rolling back... and we've told them wot a proper fakie is...

They look at ya like ya talkin sh1t......

If ya don't ride with ya seat slammed, in girls jean's, doin nothing but foot jams, front jams, foot jam to front jams...

they dont wanna hear anything ya have to say!!

another thing as well... i remember a few kids talkin about doin can cans airs....

so i gave them some advice on doin them... i still do em an can do em pretty high-ish...

they look at ya as if to say...  'Wot the fook do you know' !!

We're just  'Old skool bmxer's'...  wot do we know about 'their' sport??

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 02:00 PM by DaveMc. »

condor96

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:28 AM »

They look at ya like ya talkin sh1t......

If ya don't ride with ya seat slammed, in girls jean's, doin nothing but foot jams, front jams, foot jam to front jams...

they dont wanna hear anything ya have to say!!

they look at ya as if to say...  'Wot the fook do you know' !!

We're just  'Old skool bmxer's'...  wot do we know about 'their' sport??
sweet pics!
yeh wut do we know about "their" sport. the one kid, half the stuff he was doin was foot jam stuff,foot jam this foot jam that,plus he almost killed a skater cuz he has no brakes,and when i asked his buddy about it he said" well the skaters know he dont have brakes so they should just get out of his way" i just shook my head,no respect.  he was riding around with this whole attitude when i showed up that he just had to show me up before i hit the deck of a ramp. i was tryin to be nice to him, but i just wanted to say i was blasting 6 ft airs, and doing table 360s when he was shitting his diaper, but what would i know, granted im only 24 but ive been into bmx since a young age of 4 back in 87 so ive seen stuff from old school all the way to new school. ive always had respect for people that have been into it for a long time. seems like kids do it now so they look "cool" like the hey look at me thing and my bike is 15 lbs cuz if its not i cant do any tricks and im only riding so i can turn pro.  i just messed around so it looked like i suck until they left and sessioned the mini so i wouldnt have some kid (he was maybe 15 16) give me the stink eye about what im doin, im all down for a good sess with fellow riders but not if they make it feel like im an outsider,im a rider to and have been for a long time,longer than this kid has been alive. most riders are cool, theyll talk to you or cheer if you do something cool. some are not. the only other person ive rode around (70% of the people i rode around were pros or were underground heros that wernt pro) that had that same attitude was cory "nasty" nastazio years ago. like he had to be king shit of the skatepark and look at me LOOK AT ME GIRLS! like that was the only reason he did it....to be better than anybody there :LolLolLolLol: whats wrong with doin it cuz its fun?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:39 AM by condor96 »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:44 AM »
my lad who's just turning 13 in a weeks time is a skater, he absalutely loves it!!  lives it every hours of the day, when he's not skating he's imagining doing the moves with his fingers!  (i used to do that when i was a kid too) but he's well up on the history of it all as well, got loads of old dvd footage and watches it all on youtube. 

as for the kids on BMX not knowing the history?  do you really expect them to?  i do have admit though to hating the 'trend' of no brakes!  it doesn't exactly save much weight by not having them and i'm sure it's why half the bloody accidents happen at parks! i respect riders for being able to do the tricks without brakes............but have at least one so you can stop if someone walks infront of you!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:45 AM »
my nephew is 16 and been riding for about 3 years or more  he busts his bike every week trying whips and similar stuff
he has no absolutely no ground control /balance  the basics imo   i did try to get him to be one with his bike
rather than a launch eject missile getting to bail all the time.if he had at last started to land the tricks then fare play but no
still falling of and busting his bike.
he said to me "uncle dan,how comes you still have your bike after over 20 years and it looks better than mine and isnt broke"
hahahah didn't  i say listen to the olde fool ...get the feel of your ride rather than swopping parts of it for a mars bar and 2 packets of crisps
and keep the bike the same set up and one day it will all fall into place."oldfools rule"

macky

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:50 PM »
I think if these kid's knew more about the sport's history...

they would change their sh1tty attitude's toward's the older ridier's...

it's like condor96 said... kid's do it now to look cool!!

Bmx is a fashion statement to them... not a sport!!

fair do's... there's a lot of kid's out there with good attitude's to riding and to other rider's!!

but most of them just have horrible attitude's to everyone around them...

blatantly snaking everyone at every chance...

AND FIND YOUR OWN STYLE TOO YA LIL B@STARDS!!

they think style is a trick ya do over a box...

it's like watchin 50 kid's trying to be Chase Hawk.... can't tell em apart!!  ???

The Styler

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 02:58 PM »
Recite this to em.... :daumenhoch:

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears
With their tedious diatribes about how hard things were
When they were growing up; what with walking
Twenty-five miles to school every morning ... Uphill BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,
There was no way in hell I was going to lay
A bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it
And how easy they've got it!
But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of
Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my
Childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it but you kids today you
Don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The
Internet. If we wanted to know something,
We had to go to the damn library and
Look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
There was no email!! We had to actually write
Somebody a letter, with a pen!
Then you had to walk all the way across the street and
Put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to
Steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!
Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the
Beginning and @#*% it all up!
We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you
Were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either!
When the phone rang, you
Had no idea who it was! It could be your school,
Your mom, your boss, your
Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you
Just didn't know!!! You had
To pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video
Games with high-resolution
3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games
Like 'Space Invaders' and
'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You
Actually had to use your
Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or
Screens, it was just one screen
Forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting
Harder and harder and
Faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theatre there no such
Thing as stadium seating!
All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy
Or some old broad with a hat
Sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were
Just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that
Was only like 15 channels
And there was no on screen menu and no remote
Control! You had to use a
Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was
On! You were screwed when it Came to channel surfing! You had to get off
You r ass and walk over to the TV to change the
Channel and there was no
Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons
On Saturday Morning. Do you
Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK
For cartoons, you spoiled
Little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat
Something up we had to
Use the stove or go build a frigging fire ..
Imagine that! If we wanted
Popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing
And shake it over the stove
forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids
Today have got it too easy.
You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted
Five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,
The over 30 Crowd

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:04 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: how true!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 03:09 PM »
 :) I have a bunch of youngsters at my local track who always come out with crap like"I bet you don`t know who invented BMX?" " It was Dave Mirra" or somesuch crap.I don`t mind helping out the nippers with freebie parts/repairs/stickers but they def need a lesson on BMX history.How can you know where you`re going if you don`t know your roots?  They should all be forced to watch Joe Kid....

nee

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 03:10 PM »
I'm quite lucky, as since we moved here to a small town in Australia my oldschool style of riding has been met with great enthusiasm.
The kids here are genuinely interested in learning some of the older tricks i do, like squeakers etc as they've not seen anything like it before. It's hard for them to believe that i learnt all of this when i was about 10 or 11.....some 22 years ago!
For once it feels great to be the older / wiser one!

As for the kids into BMX generally.....i can kind of see where they are coming from.

The older generation will always see a lot of what they did passed down to the younger generation in a different form. Perhaps a bit like your parents saying your punk music was a lot like they had back in their day, to which you'd have replied against the idea. It's only when you get older and are open to different ideas that you actually begin to realise they were actually talking a lot of sense.
Same as the kids of today into BMX and not wanting to look into the history of it all. Give it 15 years and they'll be Googling our generation of riders and seeing for themselves that what we were about and what we did was actually worth giving a damn about.
It's all good.....it just sucks at the time

"You can read about us when we're gone..."

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Know what? Out of all the younguns riding right now, only a small percentage will keep riding forever, and those that do will gradually learn more about bmx's history etc etc... so for now, Impleased to see so many young kids on bikes, but for me the real pleasure will be a whole new generation of 'lifers' - who will keep the sport alive after we are all long one. Those who are into it just for the short time ? Let them have their fun,and we can all be safe in the knowledge that they will NEVER have the same feeling, lifestyle and overall greatness that bmx can give.
steve

welsh denny

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 07:28 PM »
i suppose its quite good in cardiff. most of the younger riders are pretty respectful and even ask how the hell i do the rollback sliders and various other old tricks. i'm just one of the boys despite being 'a dad' of sorts to sum of em.  :LolLolLolLol:
i took the 85 haro master to the sk8park and they were all over it like a rash. give em little bits of history lessons now and again, wots been done and forgotton about and sometimes how they can work it into something new.

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Its only old people that care about history, i should know cos im getting there  ;D

Younguns just look forward cos thats all they know.

Youth is wasted on the young and all that.
Its never going to be what it used to be, but what it used to be was different for different people.
Its still going and there is something to be said for that.

Whatever/however you ride, keep on ridin  :daumenhoch:  

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 07:42 PM »
I always like to point out to these kids that either the bike I am riding or the Vans I am wearing are older than them  :LolLolLolLol:

:) DINGO :)

losidan

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I saw this on a tv show once
"kids see adults in these stages
25 old
30 coma
30+ dead

Werent we the same though? Didnt we start bmx cos it looked cool?

I personally quite like the fact I come from a different bmx generation and went through the old and mid skool years they didnt....

there werent there so they can never really know

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Don't get me fooking started about the yoof of today!

I just dare not start otherwise I'll be here all fooking night!

All I say is fook em! If they show no respect then they'll get a fooking sharp shrift off me!

....and relax...

Daz.  ;)
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32 PM »
 :) If you ever get "You`re so old" just give`em "Yeah,but look at what you missed!"

spesh

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 09:36 PM »
as alredy been said every kid should watch "joe kid on a bmx"!

condor96

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2008, 09:48 PM »
as alredy been said every kid should watch "joe kid on a bmx"!

and they should watch ride on....

macky

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 03:48 AM »

All I say is fook em! If they show no respect then they'll get a fooking sharp shrift off me!

Daz.  ;)

AMEN TO THAT!  :daumenhoch:

Broggie

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 08:10 AM »
Now...back in the war   :2funny:

I dunno, I'm in bmx because I like it...period, I might be crap (yes definately) and I might be old but whatever I use bmx for, whether it be to cruise around, or attempt to do a trick which you guys find easy and at which I fail miserably...theres always something in it for me...

...And I know that if I turn up somewhere where you are riding, even though we've never met and I'm crap, you'll welcome me...

We've known the value of friendship and as we get older that can only grow...

In this world of fast food, and even faster lifestyles, real life sometimes gets lost, along with it understanding and respect...

This is the world that our children see, so if they dont always get it, let them learn.

Ray.

lodge

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 08:53 AM »
Now...back in the war   :2funny:

I dunno, I'm in bmx because I like it...period, I might be crap (yes definately) and I might be old but whatever I use bmx for, whether it be to cruise around, or attempt to do a trick which you guys find easy and at which I fail miserably...theres always something in it for me...

...And I know that if I turn up somewhere where you are riding, even though we've never met and I'm crap, you'll welcome me...

We've known the value of friendship and as we get older that can only grow...

In this world of fast food, and even faster lifestyles, real life sometimes gets lost, along with it understanding and respect...

:daumenhoch:

This is the world that our children see, so if they dont always get it, let them learn.

Ray.

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  young kids know nothing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx