gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975768 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 05, 2024, 02:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Need pointed in the right direction......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Need pointed in the right direction......  (Read 678 times)

BMXed

Need pointed in the right direction......
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:23 AM »
        Hi everyone,

New to the site and was wanting to see if I could get some advice on putting together an early 80's bike. Got the itch recently to build one.....or 2.....or 5..... but was wondering if all of these BADASS examples on the section "Bike of the month/year" are using re-issued parts or are you guys hunting these parts down and refurbishing them? Basically, I guess im asking if there are some websites you would suggest to buy oldschool parts or f&fs? I really am leaning towards doing a tricked out Quadangle or PK but ebay has a scattering of odds and ends. I havent paid much attention to BMX after 84' and figured the bikes of today would make the early 80s bikes obsolete. But, the early 80's bikes DOMINATE, in my opinion.
      I threw a Hutch f&f in the trash a year ago....figured no one would want it by now. I would've never guessed there would be the following that I have stumbled across on the internet. When we rode then, there were BMX bikes all OVER this area, on any given day. 25 years later, you might see 1 BMX bike every month...sad.
     So, I want to try for a bike of the month competition and remember the old days......any advice would be great!
                       .........damned middle age crisis;)
    Thanks alot!

Steve

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Need pointed in the right direction......
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:06 AM »
Usually 99.5% of the vintage bikes are built with either NOS (New Old Stock) from bitd or from refurbished original parts.  There aren't actually that many parts that are made as reproductions of the original and some companies are still actually making parts (like tyres).  There are a few shops and I mean a few, try www.skatepool.com, www.alansbmx.com and if you have deep pockets www.vert-ego.com.  Ebay is really a necessary evil and many good items can be found there at a price, old school collecting is not a low cost 1980's priced hobby  ;).

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:42 AM »
Or the for sale & wanted section's on here   :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 07:50 AM »
beware buying on the bay as there is a lot of snide crap, your safest bet is to buy on here, you might pay a premium for it, but as long as its genuine and possibly nos, you shouldnt go wrong.
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

JT71

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I can be your friend. let's talk about what parts you need.  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Or the for sale & wanted section's on here   :daumenhoch:

Oh yeah, forgot about that

Better to crash and burn than fade away

cherrypicker

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Here's my two pence for you fella. Unless you are quite flush with the cashola, try your hardest to stick to one build at a time. Once you get into this, it's real hard not to start visualising your next build and the build after that - then you start buying parts that you think you'll need. All of a sudden, a part that you REALLY do need will show up and you'll have no wedge left to get it. Any questions you got, just write them up on here - you'll be amazed at the experience and knowledge that's on this site.

Oh, and get yourself to MK this coming weekend  :daumenhoch:

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:33 PM »
two words one sylable.....Aero Reflex   :D

dannywhiteley

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03 PM »
your safest bet is to buy on here, you might pay a premium for it, but as long as its genuine and possibly nos, you shouldnt go wrong.

I would say that most of the bits sold on here are much cheaper than 99% of ebay purchases (unless you get lucky and snag a bargain).

You also know you are dealing with a fellow enthusiast who wont mess you about.

Case point: I just picked up a set of NOS Hanabishi cranks including axle and BB for £57 posted.  After checking May 1984 issue of BMX Action, I noticed just the cranks were going for £55 back then (25 years ago)...  On the bay, these wouldve gone for £75+ IMO.

LARGEY

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:14 PM »
hi, dude, i am also in the same situation as you, i always had bmx's as a nipper, but recently (at the age of 35) started having wierd dreams about bmx's, so i decided to have a skyway ta frame imported from the states (as you do), as i can afford one now and couldn't 25 years ago!

I have never built a bmx before but after spending some time on this site, i am relishing the thought.

I will tell you what the other guys told me, don't rush it, take your time, get it right!

Keep an eye out in the for sale section on this site, you can find most parts, just keep checking on a daily basis.

Let me know how you go on mate.

Largey

BMXed

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:59 PM »
  Thanks for all the words of wisdom....yeah, I made the comment about multiple builds because I dont have a clue how far I am gonna go with this :)
        I definitely want one solid bike and I really want a PK or a Quad. I had a Hutch and a Supergoose and I rode those things for countless, COUNTLESS miles but ive always desired the 2 listed and like LARGEY said, I can financially do it proper now. This IS the best site I have found. You guys really should be proud of those works of art in the bike of the month sections. Every single bike is SICK.  Plus, people being helpful is the key, by putting up with the new guys :daumenhoch:
   Thanks again, MartyC, wish i'd kept my TA, carcosmet, JT71, cherrypicker, PHIPPSIO, dannywhitely, and LARGEY. All the posts are appreciated.
          Anyone got a MINT quad or a PK f&f??? ;)

Steve

macky

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 01:42 AM »

Have a look on Alans.... loadsa old skool stuff....

http://www.alansbmx.com/index.php?cPath=116

BMXed

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 04:01 AM »
  Yes, they do.....i think I could dump ALOT of money there... :D

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Generalee on here is the man for PK's on here has a large collection of frame and forks, think he was selling some off :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Need pointed in the right direction......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx