gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 07:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Oldskool tricks you never managed to nail!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oldskool tricks you never managed to nail!  (Read 4566 times)

nee

Oldskool tricks you never managed to nail!
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:44 PM »
Just wondering if anyones got a particular trick from back in the day that you never managed to nail!?

For me it was the cherry picker.....looked so easy, but never nailed it!! grr!

I could get up there, fully into position, but then would just end up coming back down before i got the chance to balance out and hop.
Gave up after my 345,028th attempt...

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Oldskool tricks you never managed to nail!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:45 PM »
all of them :LolLolLolLol:

i just rolled about trying to look cool.

unsuccessfully i might add :D

evamedia

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:46 PM »
rollbacks, just could never be arsed to spend enough time learning them

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:00 PM »
not old school but very early mid school, in 92 i saw joe rich do a 540 tyre tap to barspin in, i tried it for awhile and never got it, started trying them again a few weeks ago and have come close to pulling a couple

losidan

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:27 PM »

i'm in that club too

toys19

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:39 PM »

i'm in that club too
Yup and me, endos, wheelies and jumps where all I could do, and now I cannot even jump..

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Well... for me right now its nopsepicks on a mini ramp. Used to be able to do them, and ive totally lost the knack! i WILL master it  again though.
The tricks ive never managed are - any type of barspin, 540 tyretaps and tabletops.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:49 PM by generallee »

adam01

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:07 PM »
nope pa

i nailed them all i was good  :coolsmiley:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Cherry Pickers and Decades were always a struggle for me but I've never been a big flat lander if I'm honest. I probably bailed more 540 airs than I pulled and high fakies, I always ended up on my arse if more than the top half of the bike went out of the top of the pipe. How the fook Dominguez used to do them as high as he did is beyond me!

See picture below - need I say more!  :shocked:

Daz.

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

moley

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 05:35 PM »

i'm in that club too
Yup and me, endos, wheelies and jumps where all I could do, and now I cannot even jump..

Yep!  I'll join that club too!!

Never did skateparks and proper ramps BITD just dirt jumps and homemade ramps out of any old wood lying around.

Could do all the basics and used to be a good jumper but now if I get air I panic and my balance is way off.

Not rode since '85-'86.  Only started riding on the roads last summer and only started back on a BMX in April.

Apart from racing OS and a few practice sessions at the track and the 9 weeks layoff with a dodgy foot, thats about it!!!

I need more practice.   My brain thinks it can still do stuff but my body flatly refuses to even attempt it!!!

And if it does attempt it, half way through it screws me over and leaves in a mess on the floor!!!

I need to sort my balance out!! 

I can barely stand up straight let alone trackstand!!!  :(

Do you think anyone will laugh at me if I use stabilisers?

PK RETRO

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:00 PM »
My mate could do a most stylish no brakes rockwalk super smooth and well fast. It looked the dogs b0llocks  :daumenhoch:

I could only do it using me brakes  :-\ im still not sure who was doing it the right way  :)

toys19

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 07:03 PM »

i'm in that club too

Yep!  I'll join that club too!!

Never did skateparks and proper ramps BITD just dirt jumps and homemade ramps out of any old wood lying around.

Could do all the basics and used to be a good jumper but now if I get air I panic and my balance is way off.

Not rode since '85-'86.  Only started riding on the roads last summer and only started back on a BMX in April.

Apart from racing OS and a few practice sessions at the track and the 9 weeks layoff with a dodgy foot, thats about it!!!

I need more practice.   My brain thinks it can still do stuff but my body flatly refuses to even attempt it!!!

And if it does attempt it, half way through it screws me over and leaves in a mess on the floor!!!

I need to sort my balance out!! 

I can barely stand up straight let alone trackstand!!!  :(

Do you think anyone will laugh at me if I use stabilisers?

My excuse was that I never even saw a skatepark or a vert ramp, my old man was always working weekends so I had no-one to transport me to these things. We had a little bmx track in town where I perfected my jumps. ..

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 08:01 PM »
My mate could do a most stylish no brakes rockwalk super smooth and well fast. It looked the dogs b0llocks  :daumenhoch:

I could only do it using me brakes  :-\ im still not sure who was doing it the right way  :)
did you have any mates mart? :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I kinda got left behind when flatland started being about rolling and not hopping about.   :buck2:

Could do ankle-busters and the odd long backwards wheelie and that but all these fire hydrants and rolling frame whips (as we called them) were beyond me.  That and fooking bar rides.  Could never get over the mental block of taking me hands off and standing up.  Always had an all too vivid picture in me head of the bike collapsing under me and me getting to know my Skyway pegs in the biblical sense... :D

Oh aye, my airs were cack too.   :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:07 PM by profile »

PK RETRO

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 08:10 PM »

did you have any mates mart? :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
I thought you were my mate  :-[ :LolLolLolLol:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 08:13 PM »
I kinda got left behind when flatland started being about rolling and not hopping about.   :buck2:

Could do ankle-busters and the odd long backwards wheelie and that but all these fire hydrants and rolling frame whips (as we called them) were beyond me.  That and fooking bar rides.  Could never get over the mental block of taking me hands off and standing up.  Always had an all too vivid picture in me head of the bike collapsing under me and me getting to know my Skyway pegs in the biblical sense... :D

Oh aye, my airs were cack too.   :LolLolLolLol:

Was going to ask - how old school? - then you gave me the answer - never sussed bar rides either! Still to this day one of the most impressive looking tricks you can do on a bike without leaving the ground!
G

P.S. I was gonna say Vander Rolls, but I never liked 'em, so I never learned 'em, so it doesn't count!  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:40 PM by bmxer4ever »

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 08:22 PM »
LOL, Vander-Rolls have to be a contender for worst trick ever.  My mate used to do 'em and I couldn't help but look on with scorn.   :LolLolLolLol:

evamedia

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52 AM »
surely the "gumby" was worse

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 09:23 AM »
There are loads of tricks I never really tried, or only tried a few times and didnt get. One of the older tricks I have tried over and over is front wheel squeakers. A backwards nose wheelie where you are scuffing the front wheel. Ive tried sittin on the seat using both feet, or one foot on the peg and one foot scuffing. I never manage more than about 4 scuffs.

As far as newer (90s) tricks, Ive tried loads and loads of icepick grind, to stall, to fakey. Like Joe Rich did in his first Standard section. NEVER got ONE! I have also tried many many tailwhip nose pics (with a front brake!), and only ever made 1 ..... in about 94!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 08:38 PM »
There are loads of tricks I never really tried, or only tried a few times and didnt get. One of the older tricks I have tried over and over is front wheel squeakers. A backwards nose wheelie where you are scuffing the front wheel. Ive tried sittin on the seat using both feet, or one foot on the peg and one foot scuffing. I never manage more than about 4 scuffs.

As far as newer (90s) tricks, Ive tried loads and loads of icepick grind, to stall, to fakey. Like Joe Rich did in his first Standard section. NEVER got ONE! I have also tried many many tailwhip nose pics (with a front brake!), and only ever made 1 ..... in about 94!

I'm with you there, but I'm determined to learn them this year....!

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 06:54 AM »

i'm in that club too

yup... and add me to the rollback list.   still can't do them.. i can do it forwards tho :LolLolLolLol:
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 07:22 AM »
g turn`s for me as love agu bubu who used to do them at southbank , try them but could never master them
no1stuntmaster on instagram

lodge

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Deffo the same with nose pick tail whips, i have pulled a couple of messy ones but i have a problem getting back into the transition as my cranks are not level.
bitd bar rides i never got even though i had the additional brake lever mounted on my bars.

FAZE3

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 12:35 PM »
makes me laff reading about all the tricks you guys couldn't do :P I've never heard of half of um, so much progression happened after I stopped riding in 85 :shocked:

One trick that I spent hours trying and never managed was the VANDER ROLL :D it looked so easy to :P

nee

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 04:44 PM »
Well... for me right now its nopsepicks on a mini ramp. Used to be able to do them, and ive totally lost the knack! i WILL master it  again though.

Woooooo!!!

I have just got mine back tonight!!

I used to be able to Canadian everything....but totally lost my bottle...

BUT..tonight the skatepark was empty and after about 30 attempts i got them back!!!

So bloody happy right now!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Oldskool tricks you never managed to nail!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx