gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 11:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Help - I need to overcome a mental block!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help - I need to overcome a mental block!!!  (Read 835 times)

Bushwacked

Help - I need to overcome a mental block!!!
« on: July 28, 2008, 12:51 PM »
I've got a stupid mental block going on down my local skate park!!!  :'(

There are these Quarterpipes which are about 6-7foot high and the top 6-12inches is near vert. I've done similar but not as high at Corby and I'm desperate to drop in off them but just can't do it...

I can get up them no problem and can stand by the edge and drop in but can't do a rolling drop in... It just freaks me out....

How can I sort this out? (Manning the F*** up has been going through my mind but hasn't really helped).

The annoying thing is I know I can do it but for some reason everytime I roll to the edge I bottle it!!!  :-\

It is just a case of leap of faith or can anyone give me some tips???

evamedia

Re: Help - I need to overcome a mental block!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:21 PM »
Just a leap of faith mate, you know how to do it, no amount of discussing it is going to help you.

As you said, man the f*** up and do it.

Was in the same situation a while ago with vert ramps (11ft+) met some people at playstation that I sort of knew, they were doing it, so I thought f*** it and went for it.  Then wondered what all the fuss was about.

Bushwacked

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:23 PM »
That's the thing I know once I've done it I'll be like - "what was all the fuss about" - can't break the cycle.

JT71

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 01:25 PM »
go to Saffy with Jedi and get him to show you the pool, drop in there a few times and you'll be sorted.

SaMAlex

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 01:28 PM »
The best advice I ever had on this kind of thing was just to

"Get scared, and then do it".

Thanks John Dye, you were spot on.  :daumenhoch:

evamedia

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 01:29 PM »
I've ridden at Saffy, still not sure I'd want to ride in the deep bit.

Must get to ride with Jedi one day, bloke sounds like a nutter

Bushwacked

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Why can't I post replies?

Bushwacked

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Oh great, now I can....

Alex - we chatted about dropping in on Near Vert ramps when I met you in Corby - getting better but still haven't cracked it (Memo to self - Must MTFU)

When rolling up to the coping should I be almost parallel or at a steeper angle like 30 or 45 degrees?

Jedi is a top guy and a complete mentalist - Total inspiration on Tap!! :D

I'll have to try out Saffy sometime and also see if I can get some of the legendary Herts Shore action in as well.

JT71

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I've ridden at Saffy, still not sure I'd want to ride in the deep bit.

Must get to ride with Jedi one day, bloke sounds like a nutter

no, not a nutter, just a doer. and he's a good teacher. at saffy having never even been there he just said, ride up like this
drop in just here. I didn't even roll up to the edge for a look, his confidence made me know I could do it and in i went.

jedi

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 02:17 PM »
bushwacked,you're welcome at herts bro.you just need say when  .corby tmrw???

jt71 has it right.i'm not mental,i just like to improve my riding bit by bit.it's helped my style on drops/gaps etc on my mtb so much too :smitten:

Bushwacked

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 02:53 PM »
Jedi - OK, you're not mental - I just wish I had your confidence in my ability!!!   :2funny:

Will have to come and visit Herts shore - what town is it nearest to? I know getting to Milton Keynes area is a proper Trek from mine so would have to plan it well.

I've due in a meeting with BT tomorrow in London so can't make Corby  :'(  :'( - let me know how busy it is as I'm thinking I might knock Corby on the head until the schools go back unless its quite quiet (and not as hot).

welsh denny

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 05:50 PM »
i'll never forget the first time  i rolled in on a large midi ramp. airing no probs and popping out and kept bottling riding in all day. come near the end of the day i rolled near the end and a mate (veysey) pushed me just as i applied the brakes . ended up missing the transition and landing fakie on my back on the flat bottom. got mega pissed    :knuppel2:  at my mate and threw the bike up at him. i was so angry.    :knuppel2: everyone was like just do it!! i admit the adreline was pumping, angry, and also kinda like, if i came out of that ok from coming in backwards then why not just roll in . did it and ended up thanking him for getting me to do it.  ;)

Bushwacked

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:23 AM »
Update - Finally managed to tame the beast and dropped in on this ramp. I'm sure all of you have had "that" feeling when you do something like this and it has made this the best start to my day.   :4_17_5:

I even started dropping in off it and then over the Volcano next to it!!! Bring it on!!!   :2funny:

Cheers for the support.

evamedia

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 01:09 PM »
Good work mate, I rode in the vert ramp at Corby at the weekend, reckon I can ride in anything after that beast

Bushwacked

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 01:24 PM »
Yeah - slowly slowly, catchy monkey I think.

After doing this one:

I immediately tried to do the Quarter at the other end of the skate park and found out halfway up while staining the inside of my trousers that it was much steeper and nothing like the first...

Something for the future although I think I can do it!!!   ;)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 01:35 PM »
that looks a cool little drug dealers.......er i mean skate park there!   :daumenhoch:   where abouts is that? 

Bushwacked

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 02:24 PM »
Funny you mention that - I was there about 8am this morning before work and on top of the jump box there was obvious signs that someone had been skinning up.  :D => :buck2:

Anyway - Its in cheltenham just near the Race Course and Pump Rooms. Got a lot of stuff for novices all the way up to some scary stuff that I'm not doing just yet!!!

Here's a good(ish) shot of the park:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 02:31 PM »
looks cool as!  bet it's a bit slippy when it's damp though....ohhhh er Mrs!   :D

Bushwacked

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Yeah - wet isn't something I've tried just yet...

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 12:34 PM »
parks looks good but slippery were is it
and jedi is mental lol
spesh after watching him do the charlton spine

jedi

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 07:51 PM »
i is not mental just exciteable! :idiot2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Help - I need to overcome a mental block!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx