gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  DK Golf ... um .... Bike Bag
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DK Golf ... um .... Bike Bag  (Read 1938 times)

SaMAlex

DK Golf ... um .... Bike Bag
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:33 AM »

This looks nice. A bag to "fool" the airline companies into thinking you dont have bike, so they wont charge you extra.

http://bmx.transworld.net/2008/07/17/dk-bike-flight-bag/

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: DK Golf ... um .... Bike Bag
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Hmmmmmm so i guess there Xray machine won't see the bike then  :LolLolLolLol:

zed4130

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:38 AM »
and before anyone says it, if its got a dk in it, you would need a forklift to lift it   :LolLolLolLol:   ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Hmmmmmm so i guess there Xray machine won't see the bike then  :LolLolLolLol:

I thought that, but I think its because when you check your bags in, if they see its a bike box they charge you more, straight away.

Bike = pay more  :idiot2:

thecrooch

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:01 AM »
depends who you fly with, ive been travelling to Europe for the last 5 years riding MTB's in the Alps etc and ive only ever been shafted by BA

and believe it or not the best have been sleazyjet - £10 when you book, yes they xray it but as long as you dont go over 32kg you can fill the bike bag with all sorts, crash helmet, shoes pads etc... which also act as padding.. used them 4 or 5 times now never a problem even when there are 8-10 of us going.

all items have to be xrayed whether they are clubs or not, so you cant fool anybody.  Its a nice idea but its a gimmick and thats all - get a proper bike bag and be done with it.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:36 AM »
As Crooch says, i've flown with sleezyjet about 4 times to the Alps and flying out is no problem.......coming back through Geneva was a bit 'hit and miss' as far as charging goes.......got stung for an extra £35 once but nothing on the other times.

zed4130

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:52 AM »
years ago when i worked in belgium i took my winter hack over, i didnt even box it up , they just rolled it in, it came back with not a scratch, it didnt cost me much aswell, although this was around 95ish, i did the same coming back with it 2 years later, i wouldnt do it now though i think i was just lucky  :)

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58 AM »
On internal flights in the US (in the 90s anyway) you could pay a little extra and not have to touch your bike at all, just roll up and hand it in. It was a sign of being 'rockstar' if you paid more for that. If you were extra cool you still have the tags on your bike when you were doing your demo or contest run.

(obviously something Ive never done. Ive just seen other wanna be rockstar AAA pros doing it)

dialledbikes

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:32 PM »
I just bought one of the Ogio Monster "golf" bags from ebay.co.uk for my trip to the States in a few weeks time.

I've got a proper bike bag (Evans/Neil Pryde) type, but it's too big for a BMX bike/cruiser (though ideal size for a freeride/DH bike) and also really cumbersome to lug about.

I like the idea of these "golf " bags as they're better suited sizewise to BMX bikes and should be easier to check in than a full size bike bag.

thecrooch

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57 PM »
I just bought one of the Ogio Monster "golf" bags from ebay.co.uk for my trip to the States in a few weeks time.

I've got a proper bike bag (Evans/Neil Pryde) type, but it's too big for a BMX bike/cruiser (though ideal size for a freeride/DH bike) and also really cumbersome to lug about.

I like the idea of these "golf " bags as they're better suited sizewise to BMX bikes and should be easier to check in than a full size bike bag.

What you got in there mike??? 

dialledbikes

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 02:18 PM »
That's not my bag, Simon, but I'm lead to believe it contains a complete cruiser bike with just the front wheel, forks and bars/stem removed.  It was after speaking to the guy who owns that bag and seeing those pics that I decided to get the Ogio bag to take my cruiser in to America.  I'll probably take the front tyre off the wheel as well so the front wheel will be less noticeable when it's zipped up, and then pad the bag out with clothes/gear.

thecrooch

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 02:26 PM »
was going to say - didnt look like one of yours and couldnt put a name to it but yes it does look like a cruiser.

id leave the tyre on but deflate it as the tyre will protect the rim, id remove the chain ring as well and tuck it away as spiky bits are not good!  and yeah wrap up that shiny Titanium mate....  The whole BMX community would start crying if you damaged that one!

toys19

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 02:28 PM »
I've done the sleazyjet brsitol to geneva run a few times, always paid 10 each way, once in box, twice in a chain reaction cycles bike bag, always briliant and easy, just a bit boring having to wait at the other end for your bike to come out.

Worse was when I got turned away at my local airport for having a "damaged" passport - it was worn around the corners but it was near the picture. So I got the eurostar  down to the alps instead, and still managed to get on the plane for the return trip with no passport hassles from the frogs. Typical british jobsworth scum who are on comission to look for reasons to turn people away so they can resell your seat.  :rant:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  DK Golf ... um .... Bike Bag

gfxgfx
gfx gfx