gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuf Neck stem - dismantling. Removing shaft from head
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tuf Neck stem - dismantling. Removing shaft from head  (Read 1502 times)

toys19

Tuf Neck stem - dismantling. Removing shaft from head
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:18 PM »
So I want to take apart one of my tuf neck stems to strip the anodising from the aluminium, reanodise and re black the shaft. I have removed the long bolt and wedge, and the four bolts and the cap. I have removed the big short bolt, so now I have the aluminium base piece and the shaft, how are these connected together. I could do wih some advice as I have been very gentle so far and I dont want to muck it up!!!!
Cheers in advance

Toys19   :daumenhoch:

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Tuf Neck stem - dismantling. Removing shaft from head
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:09 PM »
this is very hard to do!! i found that by putting the stem(body)on top of some blocks of wood so that the quill goes through the bottom of the vice jaws,then heating the body up with a blow torch near to stem bolt works,you need to leave the big bolt in but undo it slightly then whack it with a big hammer-this is the easy bit because any marks can be sanded and polished before re-annodising,the trick is then how to get the quill back in the body without damaging it :-\ i tried putting the body on some soft wood then hitting the bottom of the quill and tried putting it in the vice but found it went in at a angle which you don't want as it takes off some more aluminium then not making it a tight fir any more >:(  i gave up in the end :yahoo_silent:

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 05:23 PM »
Removing The Quill

Use a decent workshop press if you have access to one ... it's the easiest way  ;)

Refitting The Quill

Clamp an old seat post or a set of bars in the stem ... use the large bolt to pull the quill back into the stem base  :daumenhoch:

Steve

toys19

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:50 AM »
Thanks chaps, all good advice, I'll let you know how it goes! :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Thanks chaps, all good advice, I'll let you know how it goes! :daumenhoch:

Steve P is the master of Tuf Neck/Pro neck resto's  :daumenhoch:

I did mine using a press to remove the shaft and to get it back in; my mate at his mechine shop did it, he also used this low tack tape on the replacement chrome bolt I got and on the stem itself to stop any marks, nipped it up good and tight with the bolt once the shaft was back in situ  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

toys19

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Cool, I have acces to a press so I'm going that way!

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 10:42 PM »
Steve P is the master of Tuf Neck/Pro neck resto's  :daumenhoch:

Thanks Marty ... that's another pint I owe you now  ;)

The next stem I restore I'll post a thread up with lots 'n' lots of piccies ... maybe the mods could make it a sticky  :)

Steve

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tuf Neck stem - dismantling. Removing shaft from head

gfxgfx
gfx gfx