gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 04:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  shims
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: shims  (Read 738 times)

tobybrown35

shims
« on: July 21, 2008, 08:59 PM »
   got a inch chris king road bike headset instead of inch bmx one cups wobble in frame so need a shim 2 fit bout 2.6mm in difference any help appreciated cheers  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: shims
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:00 PM »
coke can?

tobybrown35

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03 PM »
  does it work

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:20 PM »
i've used em to shim out seat posts and also used it to shim out some old bearings on an old full suss frame, they lasted longer than the original shims! 

thecrooch

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:21 PM »
if you look on the chris king website or www.aspirevelotech.com you will find the exact difference.  it has something to do at the stack height.

Personally i dont think it would work and if you could get it snug im not sure i would want to ride it as is.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:28 PM »
yeah i'd have to agree.....not good for a rider

tobybrown35

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:02 PM »
  found a shim on chainreaction with about a .2 difference allowing 4 paint it should fit snug would the stack height affect it

thecrooch

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57 PM »
the thing with CK stuff is its engineered to an inch of its life and its only meant to do one thing.... i just wouldnt do it man..... itll only end in tears.. i just dont muck about with the front end... its all too near the face and dirt...

im done... nuff said...

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:43 PM »
I cant remember the exact dimensional difference between 1" road threaded headset, and 1" bmx headset.

But i cant see a problem with having a couple of rings (shims) made, to make the cups fit the frame properly.

This type of thing was available to make 1 1/8" headsets fit 1 1/4" cannondale/klein mtb frames.

I have had to shim the lower race on to the fork leg with shim steel (essentially sheets of coke can material), with no probs.

A well fitting ring would not affect the structural integrity of the headset.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  shims

gfxgfx
gfx gfx