gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Pro Performer ????
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: GT Pro Performer ????  (Read 3595 times)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: GT Pro Performer ????
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 09:17 PM »
Good on ya for coming on here, I hope it wasn`t any one on this site that slagged the listing off  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

hasbeen

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 11:04 PM »
Had I known about this place I might not have sold all my stuff but its to late now ...

Jazzchimp

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Hey Hasbeen your a good sport for popping on. Don't take offence at anything people say on here it's just the regular diesection and detective work that goes on here all the time. It's all very tongue in cheek.  ;)

Looks like you may have swapped the forks over as that is defo the later frame with the earlier forks. Looks a great ride though - no excuse now you've found the site, you've got to build it up and get to the Bones meet!!! :)

Oh and it's never too late - you'll just have to buy all that stuff back!! :D

Oh and retro - that is possibly the sweetest PP I have ever seen (apart from mine of course) ;) So why is it not built up?? I think I see a potential Bike of the year 2006 winner!!

retrogeezer

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2006, 11:34 PM »
Jazz, it'll get built this year...just putting a few bits together for it and I'll probably have to rob some bits off another bike too!

It'll never win tho', I like to keep bikes 'as found' as much as possible - I like all the original decals and stuff on them (within reason)

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2006, 11:38 PM »
I'm with Jazzchimp on that one Retro  . . . my vote is on your Performer already . . .  ::)

wirewheel

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006, 12:44 AM »
retrogeezer, the frame looks as sweet as a nut matey but are those the correct forks?
 i thought not.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:47 AM by wirewheel »

Nana

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2006, 12:58 AM »
Good on ya for coming on here, I hope it wasn`t any one on this site that slagged the listing off :(

Ye matey billy is right your obviously an honest seller 8) ps i would be scraping my powder i would just amend the year as unknown in your listing as the serial number may not be on the bb casing it may be on the rear dropout so why waste your fresh powder ??? still dude hope you get a good price as it still looks nice :)

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 11:11 AM »
Yep fair play to you mate for coming on, looks like the frames were switched over. Thanks for your ebay reply, hope you get a good price for it as there are probably a lot of people who are after those forks alone!

hasbeen

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 03:41 PM »
I will probably part it out. The forks are OK as are the bars. I am a bit fed up with the powder coaters now as I had saved the best one for me and I had it done yellow!

I will not build it as its not the real Mccoy....

Got a new schooler in the cellar but I have not ridden for 2 years after I recked my knee for the 3rd time in my life. Just aout getting itchy pedal fet again so I think the best way is to get rid of the lot and be able to walk past 40.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Have a look in the Videos section and you can see some of us who ride at 40, not that well but we do enjoy ourselves  :idiot2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Jazzchimp

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2006, 09:15 AM »
Bill's right - as that song says 'Nothing's gonna stop us now'

Who was that... Jefferson Starship???

gmac

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Just 'Starship'  :daumenhoch:

retrogeezer

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2006, 12:41 PM »
retrogeezer, the frame looks as sweet as a nut matey but are those the correct forks?
i thought not.

Wirewheel,

The frame & forks were supplied like that....my guess is that it's because it's a VERY early one and they were not producing the freestyle fork at that stage.

The rear dropouts also have an extra 'F' stamped on them, race dropouts earmarked for a freestyle frame?

Performers were not on sale until April/may have 84 so this must have been sent over for promo photos or something.

Also, Fiola often rode is performer with these race forks coz he preferred them.

S

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Jazz, retro and Stodgy

Just so I know for future as I am looking to buy one later this year are all your serial# on the rear dropouts and what form do they take (all numbers, some letters etc?)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2006, 03:40 PM »
The serial number on the early ones (Santa Ana built)  is located on the rear drop out and will be something like '6841121'; where the first 1 or 2 numbers are the month (6), the second two the year (84) and then the next four are the run number. When the production moved from Santa Ana to Huntington Beach in 85 and then later to the far east the serial number convention changed and moved to the bottom bracket.

Again on the the early ones, there should also be 'F' or 'FS' stamped on the drop out (slightly away from the serial number). As Retrogeezer states, this is so the welders could tell the difference between a race and a freestyle dropout. The drop outs started out with 3 holes in the rear and 4 on the forks. This changed to four both ends in 85.

The sloping stop on the top tube should have 'GT' and '4130' stamped on the end. However, the first batch/prototypes were unstamped.

Remember to check the position of the seat stays on the top tube. 84 they were in the middle, 85 they moved up level with the top edge of the top tube...

Freestyle forks were supplied from the first run, however some people prefered race forks (again as Retrogeezer points out) as they were lighter. So many may have left the shops with swapped out forks. As Retrogeezer says, Eddie Fiola perfered this combo, and as such is an accepted configuration.

Below is a really early GT ad from Jan/Feb 84...you can see all the details (including the un-stamped sloping stop and a lovely spelling of Eddie Fiola!):

Hope that wasn't too anal!  ;) :)

Have fun!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 03:51 PM by Stodgy »

retrogeezer

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2006, 06:19 PM »
wow - cool, the definitive GT performer guide  :)

Cheers for posting that Ad - I love the sloping top tube 'for style'!!  ;D

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2006, 06:24 PM »
I love the sloping top tube 'for style'!!  ;D

;D  And my god, the eighties were oh so stylish!  :D ;)

Pete (Quadrophenia) knows much more than I do, particularily about the 85-90 period, so perhaps he can add to the story? Pete?

In fact, he owns most of the bikes manufactured by GT between 85-90!!!  ;D

:)

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2006, 06:44 PM »

pants

i know feck all ask moose hes ya freestyle man, and i only got 2 gt's

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2006, 08:32 PM »

pants

i know feck all ask moose hes ya freestyle man, and i only got 2 gt's

;D ::)

wirewheel

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2006, 12:54 AM »
yeah thats a cool enough explanation, i always loved gt stuff back in the day a riding bud i had, had a pro peformer in 84 i think he still has it aswell complete dont know what state its in tho i'm trying to get in touch with him it's definiteley one for a resto job. his brothers ta got nicked tho

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  GT Pro Performer ????

gfxgfx
gfx gfx