gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975649 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 02:11 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  SOUTHSEA SKATEPARK REUNION 08 TOMORROW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SOUTHSEA SKATEPARK REUNION 08 TOMORROW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7940 times)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
southsea skatepark reunion weekend starts tomorrow
to celebrate 30 years of the park being open

no confirmed opening times or prices as of yet but i will post them as soon as i know

directions to the park are here

http://www.southseaskatepark.com/directions.html

if you are coming for the whole weekend then below is a link to b&b's in southsea

http://www.hotels.inportsmouth.co.uk/

if you want a hotel then see the link below

http://www.booking.com/city/gb/portsmouth.html?aid=303948;label=portsmouth

try and book as soon as possible as they tend to get quite full in august, also most of southsea is either residents parking, pay and display or short stay only (3hours) so if you can book a b&b which has parking the better

if you prefer to camp then here is the nearest campsite

http://www.southsealeisurepark.com/

also the southsea nightlife has changed, there are no longer any clubs on the seafront they have all moved to guildhall square, chaos has moved from the pier to the wedgewood rooms and unfortunatly it isnt on every weekend like it used to be, i will try and find out if it is open on sat the 16th and post up a link to buy tickets online if it is

any questions then just ask away and ill do my best to answer them or find out for you from old man kev and effraim

if you havent been before and would like to check out what the park is like see the link below

http://www.southseaskatepark.com/parkinfo.html

i hope to see you all there :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

UPDATE:

ENTRANCE FEE WILL BE £5 PER DAY, OPENING TIMES ARE FROM 10AM TILL 6PM WHICH MAKES IT A BARGIN AS ITS NORMALLY £5 FROM 12 TILL 6PM

THERE WILL BE MUSIC AND MAYBE A BBQ

JOHN THURSTON HAS BEEN INVITED AND IM SURE HE WILL COME ALONG

HELMETS MUST BE WORN, THE PARK HAS A FEW HELMETS FOR HIRE FOR A SMALL FEE PLUS A SECURITY DEPOSIT IE MOBILE PHONE ETC...  BUT THESE WILL PROBERBLY GO QUICKLY SO DONT FORGET YOURS

UNFORTUNATLY CHAOS IS NOT ON THAT WEEKEND AS ITS HIPSHAKERS 10TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION AT THE WEDGEWOOD ROOMS
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:21 PM by kev s »

DJ

Re: SOUTHSEA SKATEPARK REUNION 08 16TH & 17TH OF AUGUST!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:25 PM »
whats it a reunion for?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27 PM »
Is it bmx only or everything ?
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 01:31 PM »
according to effraim the park opened in 1978 so its to celebrate 30 years of the park being open

the reunion is for anyone who has used the park over the last 30 years so bmx, skate,inline etc

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 05:39 PM by kev s »

spesh

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 03:09 PM »
thatll be me then

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 06:50 PM »
cool :)

i'm in pompey this weekend, so i'll be riding Southsea Saturday, maybe early sunday aswell  :daumenhoch:and will have a chat with oldman kev

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:15 PM »
cool ill shall be there sunday morning,  if u see me come over and say hi :daumenhoch:

spesh

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:22 PM »
i might go sunday morning to say hello

RADHAB

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 10:57 AM »
It should be a Union for bulldozers and Developers to build a nice new shiny Gucci park to rebuild the Ethos of everything it used to stand for!!!! Never mind a crumblies reunion celebrating the crumbling remnants of times gone by, A 30 year reunion would have been a far more exciting prospect combining with a grand opening of nice smooth white concrete and nice facilities, then talk about the old days whether its BMX, Planks or Blades/Boots.....Just my thoughts.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 05:07 PM »
are you willing to fund, build and run a new park? im all for progress and would love the park to evolve but theres no chance of that anytime in the near future, the park has only just been saved from closing and still struggles with keeping within budget and affording to carry out repairs, the park is council owned so it will never be a "gucci park" but it has been there for 30 years, how many other paying parks have manged that?

if you have nothing good to say about the park or the reunion weekend then please dont post on this thread, this thread/weekend is all about getting people who have spent some great times at southsea over the years back together for a weekend of fun, as you never know how long the park will remain open, ive been a local for over 16 years and no matter how bad the park gets i will always support it and ride there

this is all imo of course and isnt ment to offend i just dont like the park being put down :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:14 PM by kev s »

spesh

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 10:26 PM »
well said kev, i went there back in the early/mid 80s and loved every minute
 i used to ride from portsea to go there i think it was about £1.65 a session and at closing time we used to beg john to keep it open just for another 10 minutes :LolLolLolLol:

loved the atmosphere and anticipation of walking through the handing over ya cash and your wonder lamps and going through the corridor into the park itself
and i for one cant wait to relive that experience again in august,i dont care how shabby it has become i will still remember it as it was.  now if you could play "rockit" by herbie hancock when im there would be ideal

keyhole kid

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 11:15 PM »
whats southsea like ive never been

macky

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 02:15 AM »
I loved Southsea!! the KOC's were AMAZING!! made it down for a few!!

hell of a journey though, but was well worth it!!  :daumenhoch:

I havnt been for 16 years!! ( God, has it been that long!! )  :shocked:

I would love to go back there.....  ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:57 AM by DaveMc. »

Trev

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:28 AM »

:LolLolLolLol:

RADHAB

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 02:00 PM »
are you willing to fund, build and run a new park? im all for progress and would love the park to evolve but theres no chance of that anytime in the near future, the park has only just been saved from closing and still struggles with keeping within budget and affording to carry out repairs, the park is council owned so it will never be a "gucci park" but it has been there for 30 years, how many other paying parks have manged that?

if you have nothing good to say about the park or the reunion weekend then please dont post on this thread, this thread/weekend is all about getting people who have spent some great times at southsea over the years back together for a weekend of fun, as you never know how long the park will remain open, ive been a local for over 16 years and no matter how bad the park gets i will always support it and ride there

this is all imo of course and isnt ment to offend i just dont like the park being put down :daumenhoch:

Kev, if i had the money i would definately be the first in line to flatten the place and rebuild a park Southsea could be proud of once more, it just doesnt have the appeal anymore that it used to have even to trek all the way down for a reunion, i rode it every spare minute i had back in the day from 85 to 91 and i loved it. So stop being touchy and look at my previous post as more of a positive thing in the hope that one day someone, possibly even me may fund a redevelopment at Southsea skatepark, if i wanted to run the place down i would, even on this thread or to your face! I'll be down next week some time to ride there and i'm sure i'll enjoy it but i'm certain i'm not the only one who would like to see Southsea at the top of the list as far as being an attractive place to ride again. As for other old parks that have closed, just look at the parks they were!! someone obviously decided that it was time to use the land for better purposes for good reason but you also have to look at the new breed of parks that are availible now, for example Crawley's new park is wicked...and free and floodlit till 11pm! The lovely concrete that the oldfools trip is visiting in September is fab and free and i'm sure in 30 years time there will be people like yourself putting together oldschool BITD reunions but there will also be people like me saying for gods sake bulldoze it and build something new!

Dont take it personally Kev for gods sake, i would have thought that you would have been the first person to admit it needs to become "Attractive" once again and yes you are right its all just my opinion!

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 02:43 PM »
im all for change but within reason, the attraction of southsea to me is the fact it hasnt changed that much since it opened, just look how many old school parks were are losing, one day most will be gone and that will be a shame, they are a part of our history and  as bmx is only 30 odd years old that history is still fresh in most people minds, if we replaced everything in our lives with something better/newer then so much would be lost, i wouldnt own my rs turbo, none of the old school bikes would exist, new parks are great but so are old parks and southsea has so much history it would be a shame to lose that history

im not offended by anything you have said and i agree the park needs to become more attractive but just not at the expense of the history :daumenhoch:

RADHAB

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 03:21 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: You should go sometime Mark, i hear it used to be quite good :daumenhoch: They used to have competitions there "King of the Cakeparks" i think :D

RADHAB

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26 PM »
im all for change but within reason, the attraction of southsea to me is the fact it hasnt changed that much since it opened, just look how many old school parks were are losing, one day most will be gone and that will be a shame, they are a part of our history and  as bmx is only 30 odd years old that history is still fresh in most people minds, if we replaced everything in our lives with something better/newer then so much would be lost, i wouldnt own my rs turbo, none of the old school bikes would exist, new parks are great but so are old parks and southsea has so much history it would be a shame to lose that history

im not offended by anything you have said and i agree the park needs to become more attractive but just not at the expense of the history :daumenhoch:

I totally agree but when you hear rumours about the place closing every five minutes you have to wonder if redevelopment might be the only solution.
I'll probably end up popping in for half an hour at any reunion or get together but for now i have to stick by what i beleive and i hope that for the sake of the kids that live in the area that it'll manage to stay open for another 30 years! Long live Southsea skatepark in either capacity.

See you next week :daumenhoch:

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 04:45 PM »
there was rumors of it closing in the 90's but it never happened, redevelopment may be a solution in the short term but long term wise we need commitment from the council and  long term investment, thats what will help keep the park open for another 30 years, glad to see your coming to the reunion and i hope you enjoy urself and the parks brings back good memories for you :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:12 PM by kev s »

spinmaster

trev told me its crap there.

keyhole kid

anyone touches me bowl.... and i,ll smash them up

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Good God, I might be able to make that one! Haven't been for bloody years, I think the last time was the late 90s, though the earlier ones stick in my mind the most.
Will certainly see what I can do. Lots of pics needed, I'll be taking a camera for sure.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
Radhab tutut  :LolLolLolLol: , how can you dis it! the masters was dominated by uk riders from Southsea  :daumenhoch:

I still love it, its got a real nice spine mini, vert, street course with big ramps, wallrides etc and all the bowls to mess about in, every transition there is different making it hard to ride but challenging

Crawley isnt all that, its slippery, too tight and i'm usually bored after an hour and goto horsham, and its not got much of a scene except chavs, sorry but most new concret parks in the  south are sterile and boring, too predictable

Southsea and ROM both have a real nice mix of intersting concrete and wood ramps, a perfect combination :)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
well said rich :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:  good to meet you last sat, let me know when ur coming down next :daumenhoch:

spinmaster

anyone touches me bowl.... and i,ll smash them up

pudding bowl?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  SOUTHSEA SKATEPARK REUNION 08 TOMORROW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx