gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 08:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Olympic Selection
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Olympic Selection  (Read 2781 times)

dialledbikes

Olympic Selection
« on: July 15, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Looks like Kelvin Batey is out and Liam Phillips is in.

Discuss  ::)

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Olympic Selection
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:47 PM »
 :-[

gm28

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:00 PM »
If thats the descision.....then its time for the BMX community to get behind the rider and support him and not start another personal slagging match as on the other forum. Go  :Great_Britain: in the olympics  :4_17_5:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 04:02 PM »
Is either of them likely to win?

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 04:12 PM »
That is totally out of order, if it wasn`t for Kelvin there wouldn`t even be a male spot at the Olympics, BC should be ashamed of themselves  :knuppel2:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

dialledbikes

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 04:36 PM »
If thats the descision.....then its time for the BMX community to get behind the rider and support him and not start another personal slagging match as on the other forum. Go  :Great_Britain: in the olympics  :4_17_5:

I will be cheering for Liam as much as I would've cheered for Kelvin.  Got nowt against the lad personally, but I have serious reservations about the way BC selected him and what motivated them to handle things the way they did.

Nothing can erase the fact that Kelvin Batey has been shat on from a great height by BC and someone less deserving/less talented will be representing Team GB in Beijing because of selection irregularities.

KGB Matt

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 04:39 PM »
Being new to BMX I'm not up on it enough to comment on how either of them ride TBH but how Kelvin has been treated is absolutely disgusting.... The pics of the track that were taken at Switzerland looked a totally rubbish quality track, looked like someone had made it in their back yard.... They shouldnt of even been there to be honest, as Bill said Kelvin won the Male place so Kelvin should have been sent.  

Chloe and Nicholas are new into their BMX careers and I have absolutely no confidence in BCF already... their behaviour is disgusting.  They charge us a fortune at nationals and we have zero input into the sport.  :tickedoff:

Sharon xx

Longun

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 04:45 PM »
I've been following this on that other forum which hasn't been easy since all the reports seem to be biased one way or another and there seems to have been a lot of unnecessary abuse thrown in with it. As I don't know any of the riders involved I'd say that my viewpoint was a neutral one.
BC's handling of the whole affair has come in for a lot of criticism imho some justified, some not. What I don't feel is acceptable is the abuse that has been directed at the riders (and in some cases, their families).
Like it or lump it, the way that the IOC works is that they will only deal with one organiser for each sport and for the UK, as BMX comes under cycling, that is BC. They have laid down certain criteria they riders need to meet to be selected to represent the UK at various levels. As I understand it, they did not believe that a UK (mens)rider was likely to have achieved a high enough placing in the World's to gain the UK an Olympic place and did not appear to have been prepared for this occuring. That's definitely their fault as they should have had a clear plan laid down, just in case.
Anyway, they then decided to drop Kelvin from their team (I don't know the reasons behind this), but with the assistance of member's of the BMX community, Kelvin was able to compete in Shanghai and it was his performance that won the UK an Olympic spot.
Now a lot of people think that that should have meant Kelvin should be the one to represent the UK and I can see their point of view, but that isn't the way things work, and that holds true for many sports and I'm told that it was known to the riders that if any did perform to a level that the UK would gain a place, then that place was for the UK, not necessarily for the rider that gained it.
So, they had to decide, and this is where they laid themselves open to criticism for not having had a plan laid out earlier. Firstly it was going to be resolved by current national standings or performance at a national (I'm a bit unclear on the exact details here) anyway this didn't work out so they decide to hold a trial. To me this seems fine, not too different from other nations (Canada had a 2 rider shoot out on a 2 time trial, 3 moto basis etc). What I found disappointing (to say the least) was that it had to be held abroad (I'm assuming that means we don't have a suitable facility in this country, which is quite frankly a disgrace), and then the way it was conducted seems fairly shambolic (riders made to take risks jumping unsuitable jumps, officials not having keys, lack of first aid etc etc).
So the upshot of it all is that GB will be represented by Liam Philips. I hope everyone gets behind him because I don't feel that having splits is going to do anything for the promotion of BMX in the UK. I feel extremely sorry for Kelvin after all his hard work, but I feel the thing that really needs to come out of this whole episode is that there needs to be a shake up in the way that BC deal with BMX to take it up to a professional level.

moomin

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Longun,

Understand where you're coming from mate, the personal slanging matches that went on and the criticism of peoples families was bang out of order, however, BCF have not handled this well at all.  I've just posted this up on Talk and i stand by what i said, i wont be in any hurry to renew our BCF licences.........

"I'm absolutely gob smacked.

Kelvin fought for the place, he qualified it, i cannot believe that BCF have done this to him.

TBH the whole thing was a shambles from start to finish, i dont blame the other 3 who went to aigle, who wouldn't given the opportunity but i cant help feeling that BCF got what they wanted by hook or by crook.

The integrity of BCF has been seriously questioned over the last few weeks and quite rightly so, i guess you could say that after this fiasco i wont be rushing to renew our BCF licences  :tickedoff:

Liam whilst i wish you good luck i really feel 2012 was the time for you........

Kelvin, do your own thing now, get out to the states and make yourself a life away from the BCF Bullshit, you're too good for em mate.

Kelvin is one of if not the nicest, most grounded kids, he's fought long and hard through injury to get to where he has, i for one hope he looks after  :4_17_5: now and makes himself some cashola by racing stateside and sets himself up nicely for his future  :daumenhoch:

Offline Brandy Truffle

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:42 PM »
^^^^^^  :daumenhoch:

Liam 2012 Definately. Watching his races in the States earlier this year on G0211,he has EVERY chance if he continues to develop, but i agree, an injury free Kelvin should have been going to Bejing. This was his first & last chance i felt and after demonstrating his worth he SHOULD have got the nod.

But what do i know.  :-X

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Dont count Kelvin out for 2012, If he uses this as motivation, the Kelvin Batey I know will come back fighting fitter/stronger and faster than ever  :2gunsfiring_v1:

I feel that the way this has all been handled has had a detrimental effect on BMX racing in this country and think along with fuel prices it will effect National attendance next year

:) DINGO :)

moomin

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 07:29 PM »
an interesting thought has just been raised on Talk, surely we have more of an affiliation with the MX community than the BCF roadies and lycra crew........

Can there be a negotiation to affiliate etc, it may be another can of worms but WTF do we do with the current situation, we (as a family) wont be supporting Nationals next year and probably not even Regionals as i point blank refuse to renew our licenses with BCF after this farcical display, any other options peeps ???

dialledbikes

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Dont count Kelvin out for 2012, If he uses this as motivation, the Kelvin Batey I know will come back fighting fitter/stronger and faster than ever  :2gunsfiring_v1:

I feel that the way this has all been handled has had a detrimental effect on BMX racing in this country and think along with fuel prices it will effect National attendance next year

:) DINGO :)

I think I will do 4X nationals and BMX regionals instead of nationals next year.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 07:46 PM »
have any of you lot sent mail to the BCF about your thoughts.
or are they deaf to the sound of there own trumpet.

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 08:07 PM »
BC have us over a barrel Dan, so all complaints fall on deaf ears.  No alternative governing body to move to and even if there was the UCI only deals with BC.

Rooonga

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 08:08 PM »

I think I will do 4X nationals and BMX regionals instead of nationals next year.

Are the 4X nationals a BCF event too?

I'm just wondering how I could get some decent races without giving BC my cashola. Wonder if we could do a national type no clips event, or something like that?

I bet Scott D (Uncle Buck) could sort a series out that would outdo the national series.

It'll even get in the magazines as they said they're happy to cover no clips racing.

Just an idea; whaddaya think?

Twinkle

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 08:10 PM »
Sorry to sound blonde here but we're fairly new to BMX .... are BCF not answerable to anybody at any point??? Am I right in thinking we have no say in who represents the British BMX community??

The way they have gone about this is disgraceful and I notice that they have said absolutely nothing publicly during any of this cock up.  We must be an even bigger laughing stock all over the world.

Nicholas is actually getting quite into his BMX now so I think we're cutting our nose off to spite our face if we dont get him a licence for next year but to think this is what the governing body is like for this sport disgusts me and if there was an alternative we would definately use it.

Sharon xx

P.S.  Sorry Matthew I didnt realise was logged in on your name when I posted earlier  :-*

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 08:10 PM »
shame that  such ashame  i wonder if hes a reserve or a wild card then couldnt the bmx community take things higher
to the next level to voice its concerns.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 08:17 PM »
I wonder if there was an alternative governing body wether the UCI would be forced to deal with them as they'd have to if they wanted a UK BMX team at the Worlds and the Olympics.

I don't think we're as tied to the BCF as we think.

dialledbikes

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:15 PM »

Are the 4X nationals a BCF event too?

I'm just wondering how I could get some decent races without giving BC my cashola. Wonder if we could do a national type no clips event, or something like that?

I bet Scott D (Uncle Buck) could sort a series out that would outdo the national series.

It'll even get in the magazines as they said they're happy to cover no clips racing.

Just an idea; whaddaya think?

Unfortunately, it is BC affiliated, but because it's a very small sport and BC leave it to sort itself out and it's pretty much run by a guy called Chris Roberts.  The races I have attended have been very laid back and slickly run.  There's no equivalent of the BMX Commission in 4X and no independent track owners/race promoters to hold the sport to ransom.

I'll still do BMX regionals cos I think love being part of the South region and think our regionals are better than nationals anyway.

The only downer for me about not doing nationals is not being there for my team or seeing the friends I have made on the national circuit.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 09:46 PM »
I`d quite like to have a go at 4x Mike, I think I`ll have a go after the race season has finished and see if it`s to my liking  :daumenhoch:

Twinkle

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 09:54 PM »
You cant let BCF push you out of BMX it just isnt right !!!!!

Would it be possible for us to all make a stand at Burnham???  Does anyone have any ideas what we could do to get their attention?

Sharon xx

dialledbikes

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 10:26 PM »
I`d quite like to have a go at 4x Mike, I think I`ll have a go after the race season has finished and see if it`s to my liking  :daumenhoch:

Bill, you will love it at Chicksands, and it's quite cruiser friendly in the dry.  It's always full of BMX'ers like me, Miles, Jules and the Braintree posse in the BMX close season.

I've enjoyed doing the nationals this year and making new friends like Bof, Russ, Dave Herman, Billy Fieldhouse etc, but the way BMX is at the moment, I will get my buzz from the regionals and not give so much to a federation that treats us like crap.

Me and Spillers were even talking about doing a few of the Euro BMX rounds next season Bill, are you up for it?!

Moschops

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 10:29 PM »
The people involved in running a national event have absolutley nothing to do with the olympic selection committee. Don't take it out on them.

Not attending a race will not make anyone stand up and say opp's i got that wrong here's my resignation.

BCF don't need us we dont put a significant amount of money into their coffers and until shinny was on the scene we didn't get them any global exposure.
We however do need them, unless we want to be sued every time someone hurts themselves at a track.

What sort of a stand would we be making exactly?

BCF are involved in BMX at all levels, all clubs have to be affiliated for insurance purposes and all riders should have a license for insurance purposes. So even just doing regionals has a link to BCF.

Zippy said eariler in this thread "would either of them win?" true answer....no probably not this time around.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 10:44 PM »

Bill, you will love it at Chicksands, and it's quite cruiser friendly in the dry.  It's always full of BMX'ers like me, Miles, Jules and the Braintree posse in the BMX close season.

I've enjoyed doing the nationals this year and making new friends like Bof, Russ, Dave Herman, Billy Fieldhouse etc, but the way BMX is at the moment, I will get my buzz from the regionals and not give so much to a federation that treats us like crap.

Me and Spillers were even talking about doing a few of the Euro BMX rounds next season Bill, are you up for it?!

I don`t see why not Mike  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Olympic Selection

gfxgfx
gfx gfx