gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mongoose 1 piece crank
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mongoose 1 piece crank  (Read 793 times)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
mongoose 1 piece crank
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:41 PM »
just put a 'mongoose stamped' one piece crank on a 1982 gusseted mongoose, useing a 'mongoose stamped' bottom bracket, but the last nut (lock nut) hasnt room to go on the thread, if i remove the last washer that it tightens up to, it will just about go on the thread. Who knows what have i done wrong? as this cant be right :idiot2:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: mongoose 1 piece crank
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 08:11 PM »
Have you got a washer on the drive side ... if so, removing it will free up some thread on the non-drive side  :daumenhoch:

Steve

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Have you got a washer on the drive side ... if so, removing it will free up some thread on the non-drive side  :daumenhoch:

Steve

thanks steve, yeah, there is a washer there, and tried removing it but then the nut wont tighten up to the spider! :'(

bmxbob

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 12:04 AM »
+1 on the washer on the drive side
silly question but have you got the ball bearings in a racer and are they in the right way  ;) ?

8)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:22 PM by bmxbob »

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 07:47 AM »
+1 on the washer on the drive side
silly question but have you got the ball barings in a racer and are they in the right way  ;) ?

8)

yes, bearings in the right way,with the bearings facing inwards towards one another :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Might sound a silly question but are the bearing cups pressed all the way in?

Would be useful to see pics of it to see what's going wrong  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 04:38 PM »
ok here we are , bearing cups are pressed in all the way and i have done everthing correct, i have noticed that there is a largeish gap between the spider and frame, thats why i originaly tried removing the spider washer, hard to tell on photos but the last lock nut is just on the thread.....

GREMLIN

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 05:12 PM »
I've not come across a drive-side nut that hasn't tightened up to the spider before. Even without a spacer washer.
Howz about trying a powerplate where it's a Goose crank?  It's a bit thicker than a spider, which means you prob would be able to lose the spacer then.
Bringing the thread through for the lock nut on the non drive side...?
Do you have a close up pic of the crank and parts whilst off the bike ?    G.  :)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 07:30 PM »
ive never come across this too. dont realy want to drop the spider as its a mongoose stamped one, i'm going to try another bearing nut on the drive side to see if its just an alien bearing nut or sumat

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 08:23 PM »
tried another bearing nut but the thread is differant and anyway it still seat the bearings in place just the same. the trouble is that the drive side bearings does not fit in the cups as square as it does on the other side

it remains wobbley when pushed in place, its the same when tried on the other side so its not the cups, the non drive side fits flush up to the cups and is not wobbley

this is the kit

i am sure i am not doing anything wrong, it would improve if i could get rid of the spider washer but it defo needs one as the bearing nut cannot go  over a flat piece that protrudes from where the spider sits, it would have to be at least 1mm, and possibly 2mm, as the original is the standard 3mm maybe... pheeew.

have i confused everone? :-\

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  mongoose 1 piece crank

gfxgfx
gfx gfx