gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 10:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What is the 'must have' old skool bike for a collection.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What is the 'must have' old skool bike for a collection.  (Read 1601 times)

garethgeezer

Re: What is the 'must have' old skool bike for a collection.
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 09:08 PM »
ball burnished loopy Rip' with black tuffs would be my no.1
2nd would be twin-toptube rebel freestyler in chrome (mk1 without all the platforms etc). Someone here has one and I love it as I had one bitd. Mine had yellow tuffs with coaster and white Skyway EZ bars and I wish I still had it!

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I think the must have bikes in your collection should be, the one bike you owned and always remember and the one you always wanted but never got.....................................

Just my opinion..................

Owned: Silver Streak and GT Pro

Never Got: HLT and Proclass

So have got mine I guess, managed to pick up a loopy ripper so couldn't resist building one but thats it for me I think ;)

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 02:57 PM »
the bikes i always wanted...

a robinson r gusset
chrome torker 280x
kuwahara lazerlite..

i will shortly have all 3 as i wanted them back then, and a few other nice bits as well!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 03:27 PM »
I think the must have bikes in your collection should be, the one bike you owned and always remember and the one you always wanted but never got.....................................

Just my opinion..................

Owned: Silver Streak and GT Pro

Never Got: HLT and Proclass

So have got mine I guess, managed to pick up a loopy ripper so couldn't resist building one but thats it for me I think ;)

agree fully, the favourite bike you owned and the bike you always wanted

im lucky as fook cos i got the fave bike i owned for a song when i first got back into this, and i never wanted any other bike back then, i don't follow the sheep now and only buy bikes/stuff i like, not for investment purposes or because its a "must have" but coz i personally think its cool or i think its gonna ride well.

Offline brass monkey!

• BMX Overlord
  • BRASS MONKEY, JUNKIE, THAT FUNKY MONKEY !
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 03:32 PM »
This is my 5 main builds, I would say they are all iconic !

PK Ripper Looptail
Floval Flyer Looptail
Chrome Torker 280X
Hutch Trickstar
Quadangle

MONKEYBISCUITS RIP !!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 09:21 PM »
Ha! All the bikes I wanted 25 years ago I now have  >:D

Gen1 Haro :smitten:
Team Mongoose :smitten:
Motomag :smitten:
Skyway TA ::)

1983 onwards Pro-class/Supergoose  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Oh, and a Haro Sport  :crazy2:

And some more along the way
Still limping......

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 10:49 PM »

quadangle and ta

super-craig

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 11:37 PM »
everything i ever wanted as a kid , ripper , haro , quadangle , ta , kuwhara et , supergoose , torker , redline carrera  :daumenhoch: if i was to make a desision to buy an iconic old skool bike right now , wouldnt be able to decide , if i saw something i liked id buy it  8)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 07:22 AM »
trickstar for me as everyone who rode around 87 88 had one even all the top riders as they were the best for everything .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

JT71

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2008, 07:57 AM »
well, it depends. there's what the current trends say the THE bikes to have and what you'd like.

I think the two bikes everyone should have are:

1. the bike they had as a kid, if you had several, then pick your favorite. If you still have one of your childhood bikes like many
of you do even better.

2. the bikes (or maybe bikes) you desired as a kid

so currently I have a red mki burner frame awaiting resto, not my own one, but this is what i had as a kid, this will not get a spec resto, it'll be combination of what I had it like to ride and a few bits I wished I had bitd but didn't.

and the bike I want: MkII Super Tuff burner.

however, I'm at a point where rather than buying bikes and selling them, building them and selling them, I'm now considering "a collection" as the wife seems to be onside.

so my target collection is this:

mk1 red burner (frame, forks, bars in my garage. it's going to be a long slow resto)
mkii super tuff burner (looking, always looking)
haro 91 sport with bash guard (nearly complete)
TA dirt bros replica, inspired by Harris' one. always looking for a rough TA frame as a base.
A freestyle skyway (might keep the street styler I'm building now as it's a touch unusual compared to beats though the beat was one i
desired bitd)
An Aero Reflex. (Got one in the pipeline, want to show that this bike can be as good as the "trendy" names)
and if it turns out to be a Yes BMX and I can find some pics, resotre the tip find I have in my garage.

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2008, 08:00 AM »
changa, cant see the point really, as the freestylers and the chimp are rarer ,anyone got a chimp :-\

magna13

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 08:06 AM »
For Me It Would Go Like This

1. '82 Haro Gen 1 Freestyler
2. Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo 1st Gen
3. Skyway T/A
4. PK Ripper Looptail
5. Quadangle
6. Mongoose Pro Class/Eric Rupe
7. GT Pro Or Nora Cup.

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 08:09 AM »
I've gotta say a Santa Ana made GT pro, coolest affordable os race bike.

A mate had one bitd, I thought it was the best bike i had ever seen.

They arent that rare, but still one of the best.

And im shocked no one has mentioned these three letters. J.M.C......

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 08:17 AM »

Performer, Ripper, Quad, Trickstar, TA, Sport.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 08:23 AM »
the must have bike is the bike you had back BITD, the one thats got ya as an aging gent stripping ya wallet tryin to build the next bike thats gonna make ya feel 14 again  ::) doesnt matter what it is as long as it does it for ya :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 08:40 AM »
The bike I had as a kid was a Ironhorse, the red one with the yellow mags and to be honest while I have seen a few floating around ebay I have very little desire to own one again.

I always, always wanted a TA.  So i've got one of those, that while looks complete will always be looking for better parts to do it justice.

I didnt always want a Streetbeat (I think this came out just a little later for me to really notice it).  The one I have now though I love and will keep.

I always, always, always wanted a Rebel.  A lad in school I occasionally knocked about with (the cool kid in school with the best Adidas trainers, Tacchini tracksuits etc) had a chrome race frame and I loved it.  Still looking for a race frame, but currently am working on the freestyler in my thread in BMX Chat.  Its interesting actually as I always really loved twin top tube freestyle frames as a kid but saw very few around (apart from the odd Ammaco) so to combine the twin top tubes of my Freestyler with the Rebel name I remember from my youth is almost a perfect combination.

However, just before we moved away from Amlwch in Anglesey (great for bmx'ing kids - like a mini California BITD), my brother and I were pricing up different options for which bikes we might get for xmas.  I remember my parents taking us to a bmx shop in Bangor (or Conwy) to look around and after reading the reviews in Action Bike I think we were deciding on a Redline 500a each.  For one reason or another (we moved away) that never happened and I ended up with a Raleigh Equippe racer :( .  So the Redline basically is the bike I should have had BITD.

However, if your talking classics for any collecion it would have to include:-

TA, Ripper, Performer, Quad, Hutch (Pro Star or Trick star), Haro Freestyler (of some description), Burner (of some description), etc

theRuler

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Not my personal favourites but iconic bikes in my opinion are

Mongoose Motomag
PK Ripper Looptail
Haro Gen 1

bodamus ;)

that's pretty much spot on for me aswell

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What is the 'must have' old skool bike for a collection.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx