gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bleaching Skyways....so my wife says im not alllowed to do them in the bath ?!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bleaching Skyways....so my wife says im not alllowed to do them in the bath ?!  (Read 2045 times)

bmxbob

ok just got my Skyway OEs for my mongoose decade, and they are supposed to be white  ::)
i know you can bleach em, but i need advice ?
im not allowed to bleach em in the bath  :shocked: , so what do i use ?
what kind of bleach and how strong, for how long ?
they are plastic hubs, so do i strip em down and take the cups out ?
also have a dominator seat in off white  ::) can i bleach that too, without damaging the writing on the side ?
thanks Bob  :daumenhoch:

2020mad

Big plastic bucket from wilkinsons or b&q.  :daumenhoch:

2020mad

Or divorce the wife  :LolLolLolLol:

bmxbob

:LolLolLolLol:
erm ? one more thing (very colombo) does the whole wheel need to be submerged at once for an even finish ?

munners

take out axles, over do the grease on the hubs, and use cheap tescos or sainsburys thin bleach.

I have done loads and loads of thses and i dont care what anyone says......on the old alloy hubbed tuffs, it dosent matter if you leave them in there for 6 weeks......they will still be the same shade of white as if you left them in there for 1 day.

Bleaching takes the crappy dirt out and makes them a little whiter. Its not like when you get your teeth whitened! :LolLolLolLol:

Old tuffs where never really minty white anyway. The new ones they make are white as you like!

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Bleach, use cif cream, wack in bleach again, jet wash if you can or even drop into the dishwasher! Anything to bring them up  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Patience and an eye for detail is what you need  ;)

These coaster Tuffs are practically NOS and were quite grubby when I got them but they scrubbed up quickly without the need to soak in bleach ... I just used a standard cream cleanser and a 'greeny' cloth which worked a treat

Original serial numbers still present ... how cool is that  :shocked:

This set was quite the opposite and it took me almost three weeks of soaking in bleach and scrubbing with Cif cream cleanser to get right ... whether it takes you 1/2 hour or an entire month any cleaning and restoration work you undertake is worth doing IMHO

TIPS:

1. Remove all the guts from the hubs ... including the plastic sleeve

2. Degrease the hubs then wash the wheels thoroughly in a normal detergent

3. Use a brush to coat the inner and outer hub surfaces with grease or petroleum jelly and place the wheels to soak in neat bleach ... the cheap stuff from any supermarket will do the job

4. Remove each wheel regularly and scrub them well using a cream cleanser (CIF) and a kitchen 'greeny' cloth. Rinse well before returning the wheel to the bleach for another soak

You can repeat step 4 as many times as you like until you're happy with the 'whiteness' ... remember to make sure the hubs are recoated and well protected with grease while soaking the wheels in bleach

Remember to wear decent rubber gloves when using neat bleach too  :daumenhoch:

Hope this helps

Steve

SaMAlex

Slightly off topic/hijacked, sorry .... but

How can I get white brake block marks of a black tuff?  :-\

2020mad

:coolsmiley: probley better than they left the factory those, how did the dirty one's turn out any pics of those, i need a lot of insperation to take on the pair i have here.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:

Cream cleanser should shift stubborn brake pad marks too  :daumenhoch:

Steve

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
how did the dirty one's turn out any pics of those, i need a lot of insperation to take on the pair i have here.

The last two pics show the same wheels when finished  :daumenhoch:

They are minty though not quite as bright as in the pics ... I think my camera flash has enhanced them slightly

Steve

SaMAlex

Cream cleanser should shift stubborn brake pad marks too  :daumenhoch:

Thanks  :daumenhoch:

bmxbob

thanks guys  :daumenhoch:
just started the first stage , stripped em down and scrubbed them up  :P
they are clean now but far from white  :LolLolLolLol:

munners

get pics up then!

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
About to do some white alloy hubbed tuffs myself, will wack up some before and after pics soon  :daumenhoch:

bmxbob

a few before pics, they have just been scrubbed up using normal soapy water, still off white  ::) but cleaner - bleach here we come  :daumenhoch:

still too yellowish to go on my white decade, maybe i should spray it another colour  ???
Bob

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
Here's my first and only attempt so far, did the front last year.......still to do the rear.......it's a slow build!!

Paul :)

Vans Style

bmxbob

mint  :daumenhoch:
what method did you use ?

Offline aerostylie

• Cherry Picker
  • Ridin the TA (but not quite like Bob Medrano)
  • Rated:
Cheers bud ;)

Ok, the Aerostylie receipe:

Bucket from Wilko's (20inch mags fit nicely) cost a few quid

12 litres of thick bleach to cover mag completely (I think it was Somerfield or Kwik Save own brand...it was cheaper!!)

Cleaned wheel as best with soapy water/sponge then covered axles/any metal parts with loads of grease

Plonked mag in bucket, with lid over bucket, left for 3 weeks

Then took wheel out after third week, washed it down with cold water, cleaned excess off

Then back in bucket again for another 3 weeks then cleaned via hose with cold water (lots of it) then dry off with cloth

Good luck fella..... be nice to see the Decade built up, doing one myself ;)

Vans Style

Offline SE MARK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
I  dyed my skyways red in the bath today and was crapping myself thinking i hope all that  red dye comes off the bath . Well it did and they look the bizz .

bmxbob

I  dyed my skyways red in the bath today and was crapping myself thinking i hope all that  red dye comes off the bath . Well it did and they look the bizz .
get some pics up mate  :daumenhoch:
my wife would have killed me if id done that  :knuppel2:

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Pix of both wheels in the blood bath would be good  :LolLolLolLol:

Steve

Offline SE MARK

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
They were in such a state that  i didnt think they would come out as good as they did so didnt bother taking any pics . Gutted now

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Bleaching Skyways....so my wife says im not alllowed to do them in the bath ?!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx