gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Calling all sprayer, have you sprayed your bike?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Calling all sprayer, have you sprayed your bike?  (Read 772 times)

guitarnutter

Calling all sprayer, have you sprayed your bike?
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Hey guys, who out there has sprayed their own bike or somone elses?  how did it go?  are you a professional sprayer?  how do you think it compares to powder coating?  if you dont mind sharing what products did you use?  if you had to do it again would you do anything diffrently?

zed4130

Re: Calling all sprayer, have you sprayed your bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:51 PM »
its not as good as powder as not as tough , and enamel is heated for strengh, but ive sprayed lots of frames over the years, and all have been ok, they dont last forever, simple nitromoors the frame, give it a good sand down, i do 2 coats of primer plasticotes one, then 3-4 plasticote colour, then 2 plasticote clear coat, job done, sometimes i t,cut, i find this strenghens the paint,  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 07:24 PM »
there 10,000.043 colours to chose from when spraying, including all candy colours that you cannot do with powder, if done properly,it can look at least as good as powder, and when i do mine they are better looking than powder, but it has to be said powder is much tuffer and more durable, therfore better if you are going to ride it all the time... :daumenhoch:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:48 PM »
I did this myself on my DeCoster.

I started by using an etch primer, then a base coat of metallic silver, followed by a candy blue top coat.

It came out really well and I am not a professional sprayer.

andy.w

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 08:26 PM »
I have just done my supergoose.  I think the most important thing is the temperature. Too cold and the paint can absorb moisture.  And I'd recommend a cheap compressor and spray gun over tins of car/hobby spray.

If it looks crap you can always start again!

guitarnutter

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:02 PM »
cheers guys, nice one sean, looks great work mate.   did you 2 pac poly U over the candy sean?  and if you did how are you finding the wear?

rakas17

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:29 AM »
i paint all mine and my mates bikes.  i use cellulose paint and 2pac lacquer.   i wouldn't advise doing it with rattle cans but i suppose it could work. preperation is iportant and so is a bit of warmth. 

good luck ;)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:07 AM »
i paint all mine and my mates bikes.  i use cellulose paint and 2pac lacquer.   i wouldn't advise doing it with rattle cans but i suppose it could work. preperation is iportant and so is a bit of warmth. 

good luck ;)

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

defo 2pack, and done professionaly!
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

dannywhiteley

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 07:14 AM »
Im not arguing paint against powder cos both have their own pro's and cons but I would say unless you are 100% confident in your ability get it done professionally.  By the time you have bought the paint, etc and spent a few hours on it.  Unless you get a great finish you will be dissapointed and probably spent as much as a pro job (especially if you mess up and have to start again from scratch).

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Calling all sprayer, have you sprayed your bike?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx