gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 01:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Pegs: recommendations please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pegs: recommendations please  (Read 3928 times)

JT71

Pegs: recommendations please
« on: July 02, 2008, 09:20 AM »
gonna get some pegs to give me something different to try out.

want to get air first, but need to have other options to try out.

so what pegs shall I get?

don't want em to weigh a tonne but they need to take the weight of someone who does. lol.

seen some plastic covered ones which i liked the look of.

what's everyone using? or is any old piece of steel tube suitable.?

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
Re: Pegs: recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 09:37 AM »
i grind quite alot and ive been using odyssey jpeg lighter pegs for over a year  now and they are still in good shape, i did buy a set of gsport plegs and only used them to grind a mini ramp coping and rotated them regulary but they still only lasted a couple of months, the best thing about them was they were so quiet

im going to try a set of tree ally pegs next as they seem to be the best compromise between the heavier  yet long lasting odyssey peg and the lighter yet quick wearing gsport peg

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:42 AM »
Most steel pegs are pretty light now. internal machining and/or extra holes in them.

Alluminium pegs are often a bit lighter than the steel ones, but maybe dont grind as fast (Ive not used any yet). I want to try some of the Tree pegs but Im waiting to hear what they are like to ride on.

Plastic pegs are OK. I can totally see the point of plastic pegs if you grind loads on rough stuff, or even more if you ride new skateparks (you gotta respect the concrete!), but I dont like plastic at all. There is no NOISE when you grind, and that is half the point.

Go to most shop websites and there will be a massive list of pegs. Look at the weight, bin the top few (mega expensive) and the bottom few (mega heavy) and then go for the company you like the look of.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:47 AM by S&MAlex »

JT71

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:46 AM »
sweet chaps, thanks. I'll explore the online shops (suprisingly there's not many on ebum)

Lazarou

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:47 AM »
There is no NOISE when you grind, and that is half the point.

Hell yeah! Nothing like the sound of a steel peg on coping! It's the first thing you hear as you enter the park! Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!

Eastern do nice drilled/machined out pegs...

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:53 AM »
I quite like the look of pegs with slots at the top. Kinda like built in griptape.

Ally pegs with steel sleeves was an OK idea (  ::) ) but not really needed now as steel pegs are so thin and light.

Here are the first pair I made (several months before T1 "thought" of it). They even had cutouts in the steel to keep the weight right down. The bottom half was full steel and there were straps on the top to hold it on. No one liked them at the time cos they were too tech. I tried to sell them to a distro company and they threw them back at me, saying "I dont wanna save weight THAT bad!"  ;D

They look real long cos they were quite small diameter .... and they were quite long.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:56 AM by S&MAlex »

Lazarou

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 10:04 AM »
They look about 9 inches!! Cool though! Always the innovator!

Do you have any idea Alex where i could lay my grubby mitts on some Yardstix?

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 10:09 AM »
They look about 9 inches!!

I think they were 5 inches, the same length as if you had a 4.5 inch peg mounted on the fork leg. The amount of times I offered my pegs up to someone elses bike to show they were the same total length. I even had a set with numbered inch marks on them for a while. They were only 30mm dia, to match up perfectly with pitchforks and PE front hub cones. It was all totally flush and round, right up to the spokes.

Yardsticks? Who made those again? I think I have seen some for sale when I was looking for some old, steel, heavy, chrome pegs for my HAF
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:12 AM by S&MAlex »

zed4130

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 10:23 AM »
ive got some steel ones on my desk, im using them as pen holders   :LolLolLolLol:  £5 if you wont them, there new Dk ones,  :)

paul

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:39 AM »
ive got some steel ones on my desk, im using them as pen holders 

Brilliant, love it. Im using a 1" clamp on redneck as a paper weight (green one too!)

I can feel a new thread coming on, "What other uses are you finding for bike parts?"

zed4130

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:41 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol:  a stem makes a nice papper weight aswell alex  ;) plus a pen holder aswel,  :LolLolLolLol:  im also using some number plates as paper deviders at the moment  :)

macky

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 11:24 AM »

Colony one way pegs are the way to go!!

Light as hell! 99 grams!! look good too!!!

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_54&products_id=5180

SaMAlex

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 11:27 AM »
I use 4 pegs ...... so for a set of pegs, £60!  :shocked:

"I dont wanna save weight THAT bad!"

zed4130

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I use 4 pegs ...... so for a set of pegs, £60!  :shocked:

"I dont wanna save weight THAT bad!"

mine £5  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 11:30 AM »
Paul, if they're the DK pegs then they weight more than the desk!   ;)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 11:31 AM »
lol @ alex i was just about to say the same thing, when i buy my next set of pegs ill only buy 2 and see how i get on with them and if there ok then buy another set later on although im limited to what i can run on the front due to pitchfork xlt's seem to have quite small dropouts a gsport pleg wont fit on em
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:32 AM by kev s »

zed4130

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Paul, if they're the DK pegs then they weight more than the desk!   ;)

:LolLolLolLol:  funny i did think my desk was leaning abit  :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:35 AM »
when i buy my next set of pegs ill only buy 2 and see how i get on with them and if there ok then buy another set later on

A mate of mine just got 2 McNeal fash light pegs so see how they are. He didnt really like them. Now he has some Tree pegs so Im waiting for the feedback. He also uses 4 pegs and has been getting 2 to see how they are first.

a gsport pleg wont fit on em

Yeah but Plegs are about 3" dia  ;D

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 11:41 AM »
the tree ones are supposed to last quite well but not grind as quick as steel, which is a bit of a downer for me as i like to grind fast

lol yeah plegs are big and crap imo, they are heavier than the tree pegs, they dont fit my dropouts and they wear out too quick, george french reckons with normal ramp use they should last a year if rotated, mine lasted 2 months :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: but ill forgive him if he hurries up with the rachet hub

SaMAlex

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 11:45 AM »
I dont get the weight of Plegs? Sure, they "grind" (slide) on stuff that metal pegs wont, but if they aint lighter, why would most park/ramp riders bother to use them?

I think I will be sticking with steel, unless Subversion comes back with a glowing report of the Tree ones. I hope to try them at Corby next week.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 11:51 AM »
there's just something right about the sound of steel pegs on coping  :smitten:

JT71

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 12:01 PM »

lol.

you love it now you got them peg stalls down.

(pm on it's way about a Haro)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 12:02 PM »

lol.

you love it now you got them peg stalls down.

(pm on it's way about a Haro)

Me?  got peg stalls down???   surely you have me mixed up with someone that can ride!  :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17 PM »
They were only 30mm dia, to match up perfectly with pitchforks and PE front hub cones. It was all totally flush and round, right up to the spokes.

I just found this picture of a PE front hub with a 30mm dia peg (an all steel one!). I was way happy with how they came out, totally smooth with nothing to catch when you ground. It was like the peg went through the dropouts and right up to the hub flange

Sean 2000

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Fly ramp pegs. Ali with a steel (replaceable) sleeve........best of both worlds  :daumenhoch:

Sean.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Pegs: recommendations please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx