gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 02:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Getting into shape for racing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Getting into shape for racing  (Read 2644 times)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Getting into shape for racing
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 03:37 PM »
you will wish you had never asked.
I want to touch ORB

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 05:13 PM »
like an oldskool speed jump, wheelying without pedalling, will help you get over the jumps without flying into the air!

rom_kid_04

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2006, 05:30 PM »
ride, ride, ride.. stop for lunch... then ride again till tea ... just have a go on a track or on small trails get used to jumping and going fast for as long as you can... then go race and kick a$$

Flying_fox

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Right, thanks for all the advice.  I have got a few tracks around (Royston, P'boro, Norwich etc) and will get to those asap. I'll get to Norwich for the regional on the 22nd for a look but wont ride. See you all on a start hill soon.

BTW what da fook is a manual?

See you at Norwich on the 22nd then. I don't blame you not wanting to race there.... have you seen how long that track is? I'm worried and I'm 'race fit'. They do 4 motos in East Ungluar in this winter, and thats before you get to the semis and finals. I can see some fourth moto vomiting coming on.

All the information on racing, tracks and clubs etc in your area is on http://www.bmxeast.com/.

Not much left of the winter series now, but there is a healthy 30+ 20" class and 30-39 cruiser class in EA.

Rexy

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 11:15 AM »
So a manual is speed jumping in old language? I.E. getting over the damn thing without taking off? I can still speed jump and I notice no-one does power wheelies anymore, they are a must to prove you have too much power and cant keep the front end down!

See you there.

theRuler

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2006, 11:30 AM »
no.
in old language a manual is a "coaster wheelie"

you coast along on the back wheel, using the back brake for control

its one of the oldest tricks in the book!

well, that and boomerangs

Rexy

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2006, 04:11 PM »
Which forms the first part of ye olde speed jumping technique...........
Front wheel of the ground, push forward on bars as you go over jump lifting rear end of bike to minimise lift over said jump? 

I know what I mean in my head, honestly................

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2006, 05:28 PM »
Manualling is much harder than a traditional speed jump technique and at speed harder still

to speed jump you pick up before the jump , to manual correctly you ride up the face of the jump and the front wheel then leaves the ground and you pump the rear wheel down on the backside of the jump. On a set of doubles for instance the front wheel does'nt touch down until the top (or backside) of the second jump. It is really easy to loop out especially at speed. 

Rexy

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006, 05:56 PM »
Right I am with you now!  I beleive that Richie "who's got the power" Anderson was a prime exponent of this bitd.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2006, 06:00 PM »
Rexy , check the race video i posted because it may show you more so .

Rexy

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2006, 10:23 AM »
I did.  Good vid.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Flying_fox

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Right, now you've got manuals sorted the next step is the 'pick-up manual'. Try pulling the front wheel up before a set of doubles, tripples, quads etc. then keep it up through the jump/section, not letting it drop until your on the straight again. I've been trying to learn how to do this for months and find it more or less impossible.  :D

The best example of this is the Crupi UK factory rider Marcus Bloomfield on the thrid straight at Cheddar, and over the first doubles at Bristol. It looks amazing when its done well, and it's fast as hell.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 06:28 AM »
when the French Diamond Back Team were living in the UK they were trying that everywhere and it looks sooooo sweeet
 :) DINGO :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Getting into shape for racing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx