gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975746 Posts in 138932 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 09, 2024, 09:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Old skoolers riding contests........
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old skoolers riding contests........  (Read 2890 times)

macky

Old skoolers riding contests........
« on: June 22, 2008, 04:08 AM »
This week, a couple of us 'old skool' riders were talking about possibly still riding contest's....
Now, i alway's wanted to be able to get back into Bmx and ride contest's again...
even though i know i'm crap now... and i'd obviously come last in every event...  :-[  i'd still love to do it!!!  ;D
Are there other old skool rider's here on Rad who have made a come back on the competition scene??? 

Voodoocars

Re: Old skoolers riding contests........
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:35 AM »
I wouldnt mind havin a go but I've got no chance against the tailwhip crowd.It would have to be with riders who are 40+  ;) If we entered a new comp now we would be like Eddie the Eagle was in the olympics! :-[

Trev

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:39 AM »
How about 30+ as I'm not that old yet...  ::)

I would love to be able to compete again, but know that will never happen.
With my range of tricks, it would just be embarrassing...

Broggie

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Dont be embarassed.  I cant do any tricks and would love to learn...Since so many younger Bmx'ers can do tailwhips nowadays it just seems to be a bit of a boring trick, not unique, not special...

The old school stuff is special, and should not be lost or felt embarassed about...

I think the biggest barrier to this idea is that we are all heavier nowadays, despite the burger and beer training programmes and that old school bikes, despite my love for them still have the shittiest brakes on the planet...

Does an endo with a broomhandle in the spokes count?  :LolLolLolLol:

Ray.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 07:53 AM »
i would like to see an old school style comp up and running and wouldnt mind helping out.
we keep the old school bikes tip top and not the riding side   and tbh  we aint that old yet are we....well some   :2funny:

Trev

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:32 AM »
flatland comp followed by ramps with two 1/4's 50 yards apart and maybe a trick ramp.

get in touch with bernie vincent and see what he can knock up.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 09:20 AM »

wasnt there king of the skateparks at epic in 2005 with 2 quarters, ben hennon kept riding up to em and saying what do you do with these

Voodoocars

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 05:58 PM »
50 yards apart.... is that far enough to be able to set up for the next trick?   :shocked:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 06:22 PM »
do they do a tea drinking comp
as thats all we do at rom

series.1.rs.turbo

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Great idea, would be great to see....& why not, there is an OS race series ?????  :daumenhoch:

DJ

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 07:05 PM »
these were the same quarter's that Ben won the event on with big tables, double cans, whips & flairs? Won a 85' Sport which he still has at home

macky

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 07:20 PM »

I think im gonna go for it next year... gonna try'n learn a sh1t loada stuff this year!! hehe!!  ;)

get laughed at into last place like... but i gotta at least give it a try!! ;D

would be great to see an old skool freestyle series........   ; :)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 07:34 PM »
Any one fancy entering amateur vert at the World Champs in Germany , it`ll be the first time someone does a whole routine under the coping  :LolLolLolLol:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

macky

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 08:06 PM »
It'll take me the whole run to get the bottle to drop in on a big vert ramp!!  :-[
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:42 PM by DaveMc. »

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 09:34 PM »
these were the same quarter's that Ben won the event on with big tables, double cans, whips & flairs? Won a 85' Sport which he still has at home

thats the one

Trev

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 11:56 PM »
Any one fancy entering amateur vert at the World Champs in Germany , it`ll be the first time someone does a whole routine under the coping  :LolLolLolLol:

Apparently a lot of the amateur vert riders can't get past the coping. PaulM has said to me a few times that I should enter. I have only ever popped out on Skaterham's 11ft ramp a few times and only dropped in once. On a big ramp, I'd only be able to 180 about 2-3 foot below the coping. :(

oldschool rider

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 12:15 AM »
Why don't you guys have a comp at the next "OLD FOOLS" that would be cool, compulsory tricks first then flatland then ramps and a trophy for the overall winner. :daumenhoch:

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:27 AM »

Apparently a lot of the amateur vert riders can't get past the coping. PaulM has said to me a few times that I should enter. I have only ever popped out on Skaterham's 11ft ramp a few times and only dropped in once. On a big ramp, I'd only be able to 180 about 2-3 foot below the coping. :(

I did just that last Sunday at our lovely new skatepark. I was getting about 2 ft below the coping and still managed to Feck it up, and land at the flat bottom on my front wheel. Nearly went over the bars and crapped myself, worst of all, Ron Wilkerson was watching.. :-[
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

Trev

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36 AM »
How cool is that... Did RonW give you any pointers? Funnily enough I was at my house yesterday packing up all my stuff and a found an old 2hip t-shirt Ron gave me in the 80s. I used to love the t-shirt and wore it to death.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 10:55 AM »
You know....I've thought long and hard about this, sad I know but hey!

My first thoughts were yeah lets do it but then I just thought nah, can't be arsed. I just enjoy riding for the fun of it too much. When I rode comps bitd I loved it to start with but then it just got naff. There was far to much fun to be had from just riding.

I think what we need to do is just more old school jams and meets where north and south get together and just ride. After all, that's what it's all about, isn't it? I can't wait to get down to Rom again later this year.

The best fun we had was jams, just riding and trying new stuff without the pressure of worrying that you'll slam and come last.

Lets have more jams that's what I say.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

Sean 2000

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Now this is an interesting thread...............

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 01:11 AM »
How cool is that... Did RonW give you any pointers?

Trev

yes, he did. he told me don't ride up the center of the tranny, as it's over vert  and has about a foot of over vert.
 guess i found that out the hard way.

The he pops in the bowl and blast 3-4 feet out of it. I can get about the same height from the coping as Ron, only in the other direction ;D
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

RADHAB

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 10:48 AM »
I'm entering Horsham Jam this year since i cant get to the fecking Masters >:( i'm 40 by the way but i would love to see more oldie groups at Jams or even more oldie Comps being organised.

macky

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 11:01 AM »

There's so many old skool riders riding again these day's....

there should be an older rider/ old skool group at contest's & jam's!!

Be a right laugh!!  ;)

Obbie

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 05:04 AM »
Yeah man , defo up for it , 35+  ::)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Old skoolers riding contests........

gfxgfx
gfx gfx